This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Cannot create UEFI bootable USB using Zorin image

parker.hugh

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:01:08 pm

Hi, I would like to install Zorin 11 on my new DELL laptop alongside windows 10 but I'm have trouble creating UEFI bootable USB using Rufus (windows 10) and latest Zorin image 'zorin-os-11-core-64.iso'

In the last few days I have successfully created a UEFI bootable USB for both Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but I'm not getting anywhere with Zorin OS. even tried switching off secure boot but didn't make any difference. I think the latest version of Zorin looks amazing and I would like to give it a try.

When I create the Linux Mint USB, I choose following 2 options....

Partition scheme and target system type: GPT partition scheme for UEFI
Create bootable disk using: ISO image

... then I select my iso image and click Start

then a Message dialog opens....

ISOHybrid image detected. The image you have selected is an 'ISOHybrid' image. This means it can be written either in ISO Image (file copy) mode or DD Image (disk image) mode.
Rufus recommends using ISO image mode, so that you always have full access to the drive after writing it.
However, if you encounter issues during boot, you can try writing this image again in DD image mode.

I can't use ISO image mode (because it fails to boot in UEFI mode) so I just select DD image mode and click start. This creates a UEFI bootable USB dive for both Linux Mint and Ubuntu. So I know Rufus works ok.

But I can't write the zorin image in DD image mode. I don't get the same message dialog above, so I suspect that the ZORIN ISO is NOT an 'ISOHybrid' image. Is this correct?

Has anyone been able to create UEFI bootable USB for Zorin 11 ? Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. I saw somewhere that you can use linux command... dd if=/path/to/iso/name.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=16M
but I'm not sure if this is the correct sysntax to use since zorin may not be an ISOHybrid image, can someone advise if this is the case?
I do have access to linux OS on my other laptop and I can use a terminal as long as I know the syntax to use if terminal is a better option.

EDIT: I decided to try burning usb again using Rufus but this time selecting a different Partition scheme and target system option....

Partition scheme and target system type: MBR partition scheme for UEFI
create a bootable disk using: ISO image select iso image to burn and select start

I noticed the Partition scheme and target system type was changed to:
Partition scheme and target system type: MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI # so change back to....
Partition scheme and target system type: MBR partition scheme for UEFI

USB created ok

Boot from USB with Boot mode is set to: UEFI; Secure Boot: ON
... and press F12 key, now can see

UEFI BOOT:
Windows Boot Manager
UEFI: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB, Partition 1
UEFI: SanDisk, Partition 1

# I can now see my SanDisk USB in UEFI list, so looks promising! so select this boot option and now I can boot into Zorin 11.

Hope the details above helps someone else.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:40:29 pm

Hi, and thanks for posting - I always thought that UEFI needed GPT partition not mbr? ;) :D

parker.hugh

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:54:36 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, and thanks for posting - I always thought that UEFI needed GPT partition not mbr? ;) :D

Yes, I was under that impression as well. But I don't have a lot of experience with UEFI, this new laptop is the first time I have had to deal with it. I have tried to read up on it just over past few days.

The main thing that puzzles me is I can't seem to write the zorin image in DD image mode, the same way I can with both Linux Mint and Ubuntu. I don't get the same message dialog described in my original post, so I wonder if ZORIN ISO is NOT an 'ISOHybrid' image. Do you know if this is the case?

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50:19 am

As far as I know Zorin is usually a pae (Processor Advanced Extension) iso - so won't install to anything pre 'iX' processors - no such issue when running AMD processors - sorry if this is not any clearer - don't have the equipment to do all this stuff - any donations of kit for testing greatly accepted! :lol: ;) :D