This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin instead of mint and why.

zorinarco

Sun May 15, 2016 5:35:36 am

I decided to change over to linux because I keep reading its so much safer and much more stable than windows. It is important that office sweet and adobe work on linux to become a viable workstation solution. I have ubuntu duel boot with win 7 on one machine. my other machine I was going to use mint, but everytime I installed office 2010 and adobe reader using wine and playonlinux, once I re-boot the screen is blank, cinnamon desktop crashed, searched around no concrete fix. so I researched and found linux zorin. Install is real easy and the desktop is neat, it already had wine and playonlinux installed. So I loaded Adobe reader dc and office 2010, Adobe reader works but gives an error when closed. office so far no issues. Keep in mind in corporate America Adobe and ms Office are staples, you may not support the software but as part of I.T. you may get the random how to question. So basically zorin works with office 2010 and adobe reader dc with out any issues for office 2010 and error when close for adobe reader. Would be nice if wine and playonlinux get adobe pro to work on linux.

Let me also mention, outlook with imap works, no issues. So this seems like this can be a viable solution for a small company with a small I.T. budget to go with linux o/s and just x amount of licenses for office, even a medium size or large company can go with a linux zorin workstation solution.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 15, 2016 10:27:48 am

Hi, give Deepin 15.1 a try - that comes with Codeweavers Cross-over 14 if memory serves me correctly.

zorinarco

Sun May 15, 2016 12:18:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, give Deepin 15.1 a try - that comes with Codeweavers Cross-over 14 if memory serves me correctly.

are you saying this deepin 15.1 that comes with codeweavers cross-over 14, will not need wine or playonlinux and you get full functionality of office and adobe pro? the zorin seems stable, but would be willing to try the deepin especially if i get office 2013 and adobe pro xi on on linux :-)

Swarfendor437

Sun May 15, 2016 8:06:25 pm

Wait while I boot into deepin and hopefully can upload a screenshot. :D

OK, from the list of apps that make it, only Office 2010 is the last iteration of MS Office that will install under CrossOver I'm afraid and gets a 'Silver' for useability. Acrobat Reader X and X1 are not supported! That said, is it so important that you have to have Acrobat Reader? There is a vast array of open source equivalents, including editing of pdfs and merging pdfs that I used to create the manual for Zorin 6 and Wolfman's post install guides! As for Office you could always install WPS Office (Kingsoft Office?):

Workspace 1_011.jpg

:D

zorinarco

Sun May 15, 2016 8:51:30 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Wait while I boot into deepin and hopefully can upload a screenshot. :D

OK, from the list of apps that make it, only Office 2010 is the last iteration of MS Office that will install under CrossOver I'm afraid and gets a 'Silver' for useability. Acrobat Reader X and X1 are not supported! That said, is it so important that you have to have Acrobat Reader? There is a vast array of open source equivalents, including editing of pdfs and merging pdfs that I used to create the manual for Zorin 6 and Wolfman's post install guides! As for Office you could always install WPS Office (Kingsoft Office?):

Workspace 1_011.jpg

:D

thanks Swarfendor437 I researched the deepin 15.1 its a sweet looking desktop, clean corners very neat I like it! I will test it out, quick question does it run well on older machines? one of the reasons I am leaning more towards linux now is I have old machines that still run well, and I do not want to upgrade :-) if its running well why upgrade? upgrading feels like your chasing hardware :-) I like linux for the fact that it proves you dont need hardware heavy machine to get good performance and features. Its a knock on the industry :-) anyway ms office and adobe, the only reason I kinda want to stay using them its mostly used by companies and I do not want to run into any compatibility issues but as more and more apps become web based this might be a mute issue soon :-)

Swarfendor437

Sun May 15, 2016 9:46:55 pm

Hi, I haven't tried the 32-bit version of Deepin on older kit - sadly, GNU/Linux is in some regards going down the same route as that other OS - in some instances, creating 32-bt with PAE kernels and not without - Zorin 9 is PAE based and won't sadly run on older kit or very poorly. (PAE = Physical Address Extension = all those fancy iX processors from Intel). If you want something fast and light try lxle but I am disappointed in it's latest release going for Sea Monkey browser over firefox. You may also like to try SolydX but this too now appears to be PAE based and no longer provides 32-bit versions of its OS. Another one you could try is Vector Linux but not dabbled with that since I gave a donation to it for version 5 I think it was. Slax is nice but only runs live. Possibly the lightest is Slitaz Linux which is what Comodo Internet Security uses for its free Rescue CD! ;) :D

Don't forget, LibreOffice and WPS Office both permit saving documents in the new M$ .docx format and LibreOffice allows you to save documents as pdfs anyway so compatibility issues are a thing of the past - that is why pdf's where introduced in the first place so that people who did not have any Office software or non-compatible versions of Office from the originator could view said documents. ;) :D

zorinarco

Sun May 15, 2016 10:27:39 pm

lol, pae I had to google that one, knew what it was many many years ago! and use to enable it on old versions of windows, my machines are not that old lol. most have 4 gigs of ram and up and 2.0 and above processors, I've been installing 64 bit versions of linux. deepin has a 64 bit version I'll test out the other office products to verify docs can be used and changed on both platforms, my preferred browser is still chrome, at home and when I am working I normally have the big three installed.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 16, 2016 8:29:51 pm

Well as you know Google have stopped supporting 32-bit architecture - but I am anti-Google - for me it is Firefox or Opera with duckduckgo or ixquick search engines. ;) :D
Deepin comes with Chrome by default. :x