This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 5 Lite and nVidia Go 6200 drivers

Triophile

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:41:25 am

I went through the additional driver process to try and get the drivers for the nVidia Go 6200 graphics in my Sony VGN-FS195 laptop, but the install failed. Is Zorin 5 Lite missing too many additional required bits 'n' pieces to install the graphics drivers?

I'm having another crack at getting back into Linux after about a five-year hiatus. Last time I tried Linux, none of the full-fat distros was appreciably faster than my carefully maintained XP, and all the 'lite' versions, while faster, were an absolute nightmare to work with for someone like me, who liked the idea of a fast alternative to Windows but didn't want to invest a second lifetime in getting to grips properly with Linux.

The only two things I needs to bolt onto Z5L at the mo are the graphics drivers and a decent antivirus (like Avast; Clam doesn't seem to get great write-ups). If the only solution is to install a version of Zorin (or other Linux distro) which isn't clearly considerably faster than a relatively lean XP, I'll probably give Linux a miss again...

Yours in hope of a solution, Jon.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:57:17 pm

Hi Jon,

if I were you I would skip the lite version and go for the full Zorin5, lite has too many things missing imo.

You shouldn't have a problem downloading the drivers, try changing your download location for your software sources!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Triophile

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:40:12 pm

Hi Wolfman.

Thanks for the reply.

I got the nVidia drivers to install at the third attempt, so at least I could turn the screen brightness down (it was like staring into a searchlight!)

I do like fast, small distros, and the only thing missing from Lite at the moment, for me, is an AV like Avast. Is there not some relatively simple way to add that AV?

How much slower would the full Zorin be, and how easy is it to remove unwanted apps?

Many thanks, Jon.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58:06 pm

Hi Jon,

see my post here about AntiVirus progs:

http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Anti-V ... anti+virus

My tip is Bit Defender for Linux!!.

I don't think that the full-blown Zorin would be any slower than the Lite version, that depends on your PC and its Specs!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Triophile

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:42:54 pm

Hi Wolfman.

Thanks for the AV link - I'll have a look after tea. I did manage to get Avast on here, but still not working 100%, and I'd prefer real-time protection. Like I say, I'll check your link out, and have a look at what's in the full-blown Zorin (my VAIO's only a single-core Centrino 1.6GHz with a gig of RAM and a fairly elderly HD. The laptop itself is vintage 2005 :-) )

Cheers, Jon.

Triophile

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13:49 pm

Hi Wolfman.

I've downloaded Bit Defender (BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run), but running the # sh blah blah script in the terminal, in the correct directory, doesn't unpack it and then install it (as the documentation says it should do). I'll download it again and run the md5, but I can't believe, in 2011, I still have to type a script in just to get a programme to unpack and install itself. Linux will never be a mainstream OS until a double-click is all it takes!

Cheers, Jon.

Triophile

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:19:30 pm

Sigh, the md5 command isn't working either. I presume I'm doing something wrong, but Avast was far less hassle than this, even with the problem I originally had with it...

Triophile

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:31:40 pm

Hi Swarfendor.

Unfortunately, that's not one of the right-click options. I tried 'Open with', but didn't really get very far with that. Any further suggestions much appreciated :-)

Cheers, Jon.

Triophile

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:40:19 pm

Hi Swarfendor.

Just tried 'run' then 'gdebi-gtk', and that didn't even display the relevant file when I navigated to the correct directory.

Cheers, Jon.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:00:50 am

Hi Jon,

you don't download the files directly, you add the PPA to your repo list and then install the packages, that is why you cannot open the package you downloaded!!.

Please do this:

Copy this into a terminal:

wget http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/bd.key.asc

Then: (when you copy and paste, make sure you copy the whole line and not just the highlighted part)

sudo apt-key add bd.key.asc

copy the following to your repo sources list (open Synaptic and then go to "Settings > Repositories > Other Sources > Add and paste the address to your sources list):

deb http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/ bitdefender non-free

Then run Reload > and then you can type in search "bitdefender", you will need the GUI package too!!

I hope that it is all explained now!!.

Regards Wolfman :D