This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't Get WIFI Working

smccarthy945

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:03:13 am

I installed Zorin and tried several other distros including Ubuntu, etc and every time it doesn't recognize my wireless card. It's a broadcom card built into a Dell Inspiron laptop. I tried using the Windows Driver module and pointed it to the INF file of the Windows Driver directory and I get an error that says "FATAL: ndiswrapper not found". I checked and the ndiswrapper program is installed. Is there any other way to get the built in wireless card working in Zorin? This is the only thing that isn't working and I love this Linux distro. I would really like to get it working!

What is crazy is that I loaded Zorin on this same laptop about 1 1/2 years ago and it worked perfectly including the wireless. Now with the new version it doesn't see it.

smccarthy945

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11:44 am

I guess I am giving up and going back to Windows 10. Please everyone - stop bombarding me with so much help! I can't keep up!!

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:05:23 pm

Hi, please be aware that mods are volunteers and I have been busy preparing garden and home for new pet! If you still want guidance please respond within 3 days after which I will close this thread. :-)

smccarthy945

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:01:34 pm

Uh yea - I would like to get Linux working on my laptop. If you can help I am all for it

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:55:53 pm

OK please start by opening a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
lspci

and post back the results here please but be sure that you do not include any MAC addresses. ;-)

smccarthy945

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:49:37 am

sgm@dell1:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 0a03 (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series Thermal (rev 04)
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

smccarthy945

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:33:49 am

I got it working. I wasn't able to install Zorin for some reason as GRUB install kept failing so I gave up and loaded Kubuntu for now so I could work with you on this. I found an article that referenced how to fix my specific WIFI card with Ubuntu and this is how I fixed it. I am sure the fix is the same for Zorin as it's based on Ubuntu:

Step 1:
Copy these two files from the original CD or USB key you used to install Zorin (or in my case Kubuntu):
pool/main/d/dkms/dkms_XXXXX.deb
pool/restricted/b/bcmwl/bcmwl-kernel-source_XXXXX.deb
Copy these files to your home directory. Just copy and paste them from the directories above and paste them into your home directory.

Step 2:
Run terminal and go to your home directory. Once at your home directory, type this:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
This command will install both packages and makes the Broadcom WIFI card work.

That's it. I did this and my WIFI card started working and has been working perfect ever since.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:19:33 am

Hi, Could I confirm were you trying to dual-boot? I have dual-booted GNU/Linux and Windows 10 (but not on an EFI enabled BIOS machine) without any issue, using Matthew Moore's alternative method of installation. ;)

smccarthy945

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:27:26 pm

No I was not trying to dual boot. I was trying to get Linux working so I could delete the virus on my computer called windows 10.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:37:38 pm

Hi, right that is clear indication that you have been successful with Ubuntu because Ubuntu has EFI support - the only way to get that to work with Zorin would be to create a USB installer using Rufus:

https://www.vanstechelman.eu/content/cr ... -usb-stick