This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

i wont use remote assistance with zorin s.o i have problems

avchd

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:12:18 am

Hello to all,
I've always been a PC user with Windows operating systems.
lately I'm having the need 'to recover the old pc with amd athlon processor and 1GB of RAM where the new s.o windows do not work or would have serious problems.
then I thought of trying to install linux, I have done much research on the web and seen several videos on youtube, and in particular I was struck by just zorinm very familiar interface to that of s.o windows.
I tried to installre zorin on one of these machines and I have to say I was impressed by the responsiveness' and speed of the operating system.
but 'there' something that is close to my 'giving disappointment because of failing a program for remote assistance.
I had thought at the famous teamviewer linux where is mentioned the free version, I tried to download it but there ''s nothing to do, nothing happens.
:oops:
I also went into the zorin center software but typing teamviewer or other names linked to remote support, not 'come out any result.
I am disappointed by this thing, and I is' off the enthusiasm you use a Linux operating system.
too many difficulties' ....
I hope that you can help me, I hate to abandon the idea of ​​migrating to Linux.
thank you so much avchd

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:19:50 pm

Hi, first off, please advise which version of Zorin you are using and whether 32-bit version or 64-bit. Thanks. ;) :D

avchd

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:48:26 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, first off, please advise which version of Zorin you are using and whether 32-bit version or 64-bit. Thanks. ;) :D

hi swarfendor437 my pc is old i have installated just a 32 bit relase zorin 9 lite.
thanks a lot
avchd

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:53:07 am

Hi, Please go to this page on TeamViewer website:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

Download the top one "Ubuntu/Debian"

It will download a .deb package which is multiarch = multiarchitecture for both 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit - this means the package will identify which version of teamviewer to install to your Zorin Lite.

Now before we go further, install 'GDebi Package Manager' which is the best option to install .deb packages.

Open a terminal (not sure if Ctrl+ Alt+ T works on lite - otherwise look for an app which says Terminal or possibly xterminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Now once installed, Open Gdebi Package Manager and from the interface, search for the .deb package of Teamviewer from your Downloads folder and click on 'Install'.

Keep us posted! ;) :D

avchd

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:05:42 pm

ok thanks to your assistance, I was able to install teamviewer .
very positive thing .
Now I would like to ask some info about the versions I am referring to the last 9 lite .
I'd like to upgrade the same with that for a fee , but I want to know first what are the actual differences , apart from any support?
if you buy the paid version of the 9.9 Euros I can install it on more ' computers of my property ???
also I wanted to know if purchasing the version in payments you can download both versions 32 and 64 -bit ??
Finally, I wanted to know if you can install various sw for graphics and non-linear video editing installing sw packages present in the distro study ???
I look forward to your reply .
thank you very much

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:28:12 pm

Hi, there is no 'Ultimate' version of 'LIte' what you see is what you get. Zorin 9 Lite is based on Lubuntu 14.04 - now being a lightweight OS, Lubuntu and Zorin Lite on which it is based only have 3 year life-cycles which means support will end in April 2017. Zorn Devs are beavering away to get Zorin 12 Core out shortly - Lite is usually tne next release but it should not differ much in appearance but may differ in terms of the kernel deployed. So Zorin 12 Lite should last until 2019. Core versions of Zorin use the full Gnome (or most of it) Desktop Environment which is memory intensive so sadly your 1 Gb machine would be struggling with Core. If you have machines with at least 1.5 Gb to 2 Gb RAM then Core (and Ultimate - paid for version) should run provided you have a processor of at least 1.7 GHz processing Power.
When buying the Ultimate version you need to stipulate whether you want (via the download link) 32-bit or 64-bit - if you wanted both you would need to pay for each version separately. Ultmate versions usually come with some support which is not timeless, and only offered in respect of the main machine you install it on. As with all GNU/Linux distributions, Zorin is no different - you can install it on as many machines under your control as you like but don't expect to get support on machines other than the primary installation. In respect of Graphic Software, the best one to me is GIMP (Gnome Image Manipulation Program) and for 'tweaking' images, Dark Table which I used to create this wallpaper:

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1061612/

As for non-linear video editing software take a look here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/non-linear ... e-pro-cc/#!

Now this year, for me Zorin 11 was probably the best release as it had KDEnlive which was great for movie preparation at work for a member of staff giving a presentation which I then setup to run the finished movies on Kodi which also comes with Zorin Core and Ultimate. Hope this has answered most of your queries. ;) :D