This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Tearing on DVD replay with Z5L 32-bit and ATI 3450

Triophile

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07:44 am

Hi guys.

I'm getting some tearing issues in DVD replay with Media Player and VLC. A reply Wolfman made to a similar post, relating to an nVidia card, back in August reads thus:

"Try installing the non-free-codecs package, w32 for 32 bit and amd64 for 64 bit!!. (type codecs in synaptic search and see what else might be missing!!)"

Is this something I should try? If so, I'm not quite sure what 'non-free' and 'w32' mean. Do they relate to 'Commonly used restricted packages for Lubuntu' and 'Win32 audio/video plugin for libavifile' in Synaptic? I suppose I could also try stopping the ATI driver from booting at startup to see if that's the prob...

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 with a Pentium D 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM and an ATI 3450 graphics card. No tearing at all with this system under XP 32-bit.

Otherwise, I'm really getting to like the Lite flavour of Zorin 5 :-)

Many thanks, Jon.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:46:31 am

Hi Jon,

w32/w64 codecs are codecs that generally support Windows media format.

I removed the ATI drivers on my notebook because they were a pain, that said, you can go into Control Center and look at the ATI settings, there is an option for tearing!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Triophile

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:00:40 pm

Wow, ATI, shame on you! Enabled anti-tearing, and got choppy playback instead! Good grief, I could play DVDs perfectly smoothly on an Acer Aspire One under XP, and with ATI's own driver, much faster hardware struggles! Terrible...

I'll disable or remove ATI's own driver and see what happens, Wolfman.

Cheers, Jon.