This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual boot

Richardj

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:19:05 am

I have to hard drives installed in my PC, the first one, drive C has windows 10, I would like to install Zorin to the second drive, this is drive E.
I have tried before but Zorin wanted to install to drive C so I gave up. I would really like to have Zorin installed so I can get back in to linux, it's been some time since I last used any linux distro.

Any help would be much appreciated on how to install to my second drive.

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:05:57 pm

Hello Richardj! ;)

When you boot your computer into the live installer, it will give you several options. If you choose the Something Else option, it should take you to the partition/drive screen. And on this screen, it should give you the option to choose which drive you want to install to.

If this does not work, you may have to go into the BIOS in order to disable your Windows drive from being accessed all together, to force Zorin to only see one drive to install to. The button you hold down to enter your BIOS at boot depends on your brand of computer, some its the F2 key, others the DEL key.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:37:53 pm

Hi Richard - The best thing for you to do if you are able to is to disconnect C drive temporarily while you install Zorin to your E: drive. Reconnect C: Drive and install EasyBCD from NeoSmart - you need to provide your email address to download it but it is free - you can then modify your Win10 bootloader to accommodate Zorin - you will need to turn off fast boot in the BIOS if you have an EFI enabled motherboard and also the advance Power Settings need turning off - the bit where the hard drive sleeps even if you cut the power on switching off - the Win10 drive will always 'sleep' and on boot will want to go to Win10. ;) :D

Richardj

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:12:20 pm

Hi guy's,
Thanks for your replies. I'll give it ago in a while and let you know how it went. Fingers crossed it all go's okay.

Richardj

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:33:27 pm

Got it installed but unfortunately it hasn't picked up some of the hardware, no sound, graphics and doesn't recognise my printer.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42:58 pm