This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"SOLVED" Ubuntu Tweak - and others

Finston Pickle

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:37:45 pm

I have just downloaded and installed Zorin 12 Ultimate. I am trying to establish which progammes to add to the installation based on my Zorin 9 experience.

I found that the periodic updates on Zorin 9 failed due to lack of storage unless I cleaned out the old kernels. Having looked online, I used Ubuntu Tweak's Janitor feature to keep things "clean". Do I need to do the same with Zorin12 Ultimate?

Also what about a lot of my hard found, but seemingly very useful additional programmes that I have used on Zorin 9?

Things like:
GDEBI
Nautilus (gksudo nautilus was useful at times - seemed to get thins done that had been blocked)
Synaptic package manager
Sound juicer
Midori
Thunderbird
Open Office
Opera
Firefox
Slimjet
Dolphin
Bonbono DVD
Musictube
Minitube
Plex
Avidemux
GParted Partition Manager
GiPlayer
SimpleScreenRecorder
Archive manager
Spotify

I have seen what is included with Zorin 12 Ultimate and I don't think that any of these were there. Are they in the software library, or will I have to laboriously find them on the Internet (and how to install on Ubuntu 16.04) as before?

Sorry about the long first posting, but it is important to me.

Thanks

F P

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:16:50 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:I have just downloaded and installed Zorin 12 Ultimate. I am trying to establish which progammes to add to the installation based on my Zorin 9 experience.

I found that the periodic updates on Zorin 9 failed due to lack of storage unless I cleaned out the old kernels. Having looked online, I used Ubuntu Tweak's Janitor feature to keep things "clean". Do I need to do the same with Zorin12 Ultimate?

Also what about a lot of my hard found, but seemingly very useful additional programmes that I have used on Zorin 9?

Things like:
GDEBI You will need to install via terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi
or install Synaptic from Software

Nautilus (gksudo nautilus was useful at times - seemed to get thins done that had been blocked) In the repos - install Synaptic
Synaptic package managerYou need to install from Software
Sound juicer (via Synaptic)
Midori Its in the Zorin Web Browser Manager
Thunderbird Use Synaptic
Open Office There are elements of OO.oo but think you would be better with LibreOffice
Opera You will need to get .deb package from the official Opera website
Firefox In Zorin Web Browser Manager
Slimjet Can't tell as cannot find in repost - guess this is a third party app?
Dolphin Its in the Repos - use Synaptic
Bonbono DVDThird party app so don't know
MusictubeGuessing third party app?
Minitube Minitube is in the repo's use Synaptic
Plex Third Party application?
Avidemux Not in the repos!
GParted Partition Manager For some strange reason this gets removed after install - easy enough to reinstall
GiPlayer Third party app so not sure
SimpleScreenRecorder Third party app as not in repos - Kazam has come on leaps and bounds![color=#FFFF00][/color]
Archive managerPresent by default! :D
Spotify (Third Party application so not sure about this)

I have seen what is included with Zorin 12 Ultimate and I don't think that any of these were there. Are they in the software library, or will I have to laboriously find them on the Internet (and how to install on Ubuntu 16.04) as before?

Sorry about the long first posting, but it is important to me.

Thanks

F P

Hope my responses help rather than hinder! ;)

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:23:05 pm

Swarf, you are like us man, you do your best to help and hope it all works out in the long run. Its in the nature of humanity to help other's, and when knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. ;)

Finston Pickle

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55:32 am

Thank you Swarf - very helpful - I have always liked your posts.

Hours of endless fun ahead - thanks again!

I have used synaptic package manager for updating packages in the past but not for installing programmes - any pointers on how to do that, please?

Best Wishes

F P

Also, when I look in the installation section of the forum, I don't see my post. I can only see your reply on "view your posts" - why is that?

star treker

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:58:16 am

Search for the program you want to install. Right click on it and mark for installation. Then click on Apply, thats it! ;)

Finston Pickle

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:05:50 pm

Thanks Star Treker.

Sorry to sound dense, but the search you referred to - in my Browser or in Synaptic Package Manager?

F. P.

Finston Pickle

Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:43:04 pm

I found the installation topics after scrolling down the page and also figured out how to search and install programmes using synaptic package manager, thanks.

I spent a good afternoon spent following Swarf's tips and getting more familiar with Zorin 12 Ultimate.

Several issues if anyone knows how to:

I like putting all my main progammes onto the desktop rather then into favourites - I used to be able to right click on the item (Having found it by pressing the left hand bottom Zorin symbol in Zorin 9 and selecting create a desktop icon). This feature does not seem to be there anymore. Work around? Please.

Libre Office write seems very black and white - is there any way of getting some attractive colour introduced - even light blue as in Open Office in Zorin 9 would be better. Ideas please.

Chromium only seems to allow scaling of a website (so I can see it) on a website by website basis - each one having to be individually zoomed. No great problem as I will be using Chromium based Slimjet which can scale all websites to what I want. Maybe there is something in settings of chromium if I can find them. Ideas please.

Generally because I have a 1920 x 1080 screen on my laptop everything scales too small for my poor eyesight. A more comprehesive system wide zoom feature would have been useful - the accesibility zoom around the arrow feature seems unworkable to me - how is it supposed to work? Pehaps if I understood it, it could be useful.

Also why, if you select high contrast, do the coloured icons turn to black and white - not bright contrasting colours?

I have increased the legibility of the bottom bar icons by increasing the bar height to 60 somethings - what does opacity do? I can't see any change.

I think it will be a great operating system once I have got he the hang of it - it certainly is very fast on my new laptop. My Epson printer driver does not load, but I have a couple of workarounds to try - I hoped that the issue might have been solved by now.

Thanks for any help

F.P.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:46:02 pm

Hi, to get your icons on the desktop (just found this out), open your /home folder, in the left pane, click on 'Other Locations':

Other locations.jpg

now go to usr | share | applications after selecting 'Computer' - you will see all the icons for your installed apps - click on the desired app by right-clicking, select copy, back to desktop and right-click and paste and you are sorted! ;) :D

shortcuts.jpg

Voila! Blender shortcut placed on Desktop!:

Blender shortcut added to desktop.jpg

Also notice that I have made my panel transparent so you can see all of your desktop behind the menu and shortcuts on the left and power button etc system tray bit on the right! ;) :D

OK, I guess Zoom should really be called 'magnification' because that is what it does - its a free flotating magnifier that moves around the screen as you move your mouse.

With regard to your high-contrast query, this is the default option in GNU/Linux - black on white - remember it is not windows! If compiz is installable then you can use 'inverse' colouring through the accessibility function there.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01:15 pm

Hi could you please start a new thread regarding your Epson Printer issues please? Thanks. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:14:28 pm

Hi, in gnome-tweak-tool (Shows up as 'Tweak Tool' in the Menu, under keyboard and mouse there is a setting to show location of mouse which works just like Windows (well same key) - Left Ctrl:

ShowPosition of Pointer.jpg

Really needs a video to show it off. ;) :D