This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Error booting from USB "Unknown keyword in ..."

g1mly

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:17:00 am

Hi everybody,

I just followed steps to make an USB bootable using Etcher and as soon as I try to install Zorin from it, my laptop gives me an error when trying to boot it saying :

"Unknown keyword in configuration file: in1/2B (this part is tricky because is in weird symbols)

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found !

boot: _ "

I searched for that error and users with Ubuntu 12 said to type "help" and press enter and it doesn't work.

Any ideas please?

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:04:58 pm

Does the solution posted here help?:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/30374/bo ... tive-found

;) :D

Footnote: I don't like Etcher - I burned a DVD - I will be showing a video soon on how to use MultiSystem - but you need a GNU/Linux install to be able to create a stick with it.

MBMz10

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:45:31 am

I have had a few goes at using MultiSystem to create a bootable USB stick for Zorin OS 12 64bit with no luck yet. Gets about a minute or 2 into the boot and ends with errors.
On an i5 with GTX1070 GPU, something like, nouveau unknown chipset. Was in UEFI mode.
HP Compaq laptop, error 7 I think from memory.
And on a Core 2 Duo with GT520 GPU, "unable to find a medium containing a live file system".

Have had success (and some failures) with:
Unetbootin (including 'persistence mode') on Zorin OS 9
Disks (Gnome DIsks Utility in Zorin OS 9)
Rufus on Win 10
USB Image Writer in Linux Mint 18
Etcher on Linux Mint 18

Using a mix of normal/UEFI mode, different USB 2 and USB 3 drives.

I will be looking forward to this one.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:34:01 am

I must give Ruffs a try. I think the problem with MultiSystem is that it is for 386 i.e., 32-bit! :D

MBMz10

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:31:31 am

g1mly wrote:Hi everybody,

I just followed steps to make an USB bootable using Etcher and as soon as I try to install Zorin from it, my laptop gives me an error when trying to boot it saying :

"Unknown keyword in configuration file: in1/2B (this part is tricky because is in weird symbols)

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found !

boot: _ "

I searched for that error and users with Ubuntu 12 said to type "help" and press enter and it doesn't work.

Any ideas please?

Have you had any luck with this yet?

I just tried MultiSystem on the 32 bit core edition of Zorin 12, FAIL. As a matter of interest most of the other ISO's on my MultiSystem USB drive are 64 bit.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:40:14 pm

Not tried 32-bit yet - had no issues with earlier versions of Zorin or other OS's for that matter. Will try a different stick.