This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My head is Spinning!!!

Joraan

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:08:48 am

Hey Guys

Came Across the ZORIN 3 days back...
Pretty impressive as per youtube video.

Never used Linux before so bear with me, I know nothing about LINEX at all.

I tried install creating os 11 and 12 CORE in a Shrink drive D, which is a partition among 3, i.e C, D, E.

So far so good...but I dont see Free space except in flash drive, I tried other sda/..? None gives me option to install.

So my Question is, does Zorin needs to be installed in Primary Drive (which is C, in my case) or it can be installed in Secondary Drive D, E etc, if so then how, again I have very little knowledge about software and stuff..

I have win 10 right now and am sick of this BS updates, taking for ever to get into a page etc. Want Dual boot to be in safe side, just in case....

Much appreciated
Joraan

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:57:10 pm

OK, a little more information please so we can advise accordingly. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Joraan

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:58:39 pm

1. Name (Brand) of Computer Tower/System, Notebook Brand and model [Notebook = misnomer of 'Laptop' ;) ]~Toshiba Satellite c855d

2. Amount of available Memory (RAM)~ 4 GB

3. Whether Zorin is the only OS on the computer or dual-boot (e.g. Windows [and which version of Windows!] and Zorin)~Win 10 as of now, Want Dual boot.

4. Hard Drive partitioning.:~

C~97.6 GB
D~44 GB
E~58.5 GB
P~ 97.5 GB (Want to install Zorin here)

5. Graphics card make and model, or Graphics chipset in respect of Notebooks.
~AMD E-450 APU with Radeon
6. Audio chips/Soundcard

7. Wireless Dongle or PCI Card, or Wireless chipset.
~Wireless chipset.

8. Whether you ran Zorin Live first to check it worked before installing.
~It works.

9. Which version of Zorin you have installed/have in mind to install.
~11 or 12 Core, Guess Core is free version.

mdiemer

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:34:53 pm

Jorann, you can install Zorin on any partition, just not the one with Windows obviously, or with any other OS on it that you may want to keep. You can install it on P by choosing the "something else" option during the install. You have to make it "root," which is done by typing / in the specified place. Zorin will format the partition for you and install there. Core is fine, good idea to try it first. If you like it you can purchase Ultimate. I am copying an email I received from the Zorin team which explains this better, and also has a video link:

"Hello,
You can select the "Something Else" option during the installer to start partitioning manually. From here, you can select to format sda1 and set the mount point as "/".
If you're having difficulties using the manual partitioner, you can follow this guide to help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_dkeFprhY"

The process seems complicated, but is really quite simple. you may have to do some clicking around to bring up the screen where you choose the partition and put in the root symbol (/), I can't remember exactly how that goes, but perhaps the video explains it better. The term "sda" simply refers to a partition. All your partitions will be listed. For example, Windows may be on sda1. Your P partition may be sda6, and so on. Just remember that when you install Zorin, it will wipe out whatever is on that partition. So make sure you put it on a partition where you don't have anything you want to keep.

mdiemer

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:33:45 pm

Jorann, also make sure you have backed-up your files, preferrably with a system image, in case you somehow install zorin on your C drive, and wipe out Windows. with an image you can get it right back exactly as it was. Otherwise you have to reinstall Windows.

how do you tell which partition is which in the Zorin installer? by the GB associated with each. Since you already know that, just look to see how Zorin is labeling them. Your P drive (partition) is 97.5 GB. On the Zorin installer, that may be listed as sda5. All tghe partitions with their different sizes will be listed. You can then determine how they correspond to the letters that Windows gives them. Basically, in Windows you have letters. In Linux you have sda1, sda2 etc. If you two hard drives, then you will have sda and sdb. The different partitions on them will be sda1, sdb2, etc.