This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

mounting drives during installation

andreyvl

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:07:54 am

Hi, there. During installation process (hard drive allocation) I can not input my desired mounting point, can only choose the default valuse from the drop list. bug?

Wolfman

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02:53 am

Hi and welcome,

if you know about partitioning I suggest you pre-partition and then try again, when you come to the part about how to install, select "Something Else" and then point the installer to your new partitions.

1: root "/" partition, 1: /home, and: 1 swap of about 1GB (swap has no mount point!).

You can still format them if you want to!!.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Regards Wolfman :D

andreyvl

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:06:14 am

Yes, I know. My point was that I can not, for example, mount nfts disk to let's say /media/data. there are only 2 options in the drop list /dos and /windows, that's all. It's impossible to edit it manually.

Wolfman

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:54:15 pm

Did you select "Something Else" (the part where the installer wants to know where and how you want the install completed!) from the install menu, if you create the partitions like I said (pre-format them), you should be able to select the partitions you want manually!!.

Regards >Wolfman :D

andreyvl

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:31:01 pm

Yes, I chose "Something Else"" by that time all partitions are ready... so I need only to assign mounting point, but that was a problem... but anyhow, I'll try to reinstall the system and check once again. We'll let you know.

andreyvl

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:45:06 am

swarfendor437, hi... no I did everything right. This did not happen on the same computer while Ubuntu and Mint installation... Moreover, disks are mounted successfully upon completion of the installation process, the problem is I can not choose mounting points. there are only 2 options available for ntfs hard drives.

Wolfman

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02:02 am

In the window where your drives are listed in the installer, you may have to scroll down a little as sometimes the lines don't all show up in the box!!.

This may be your problem because I cannot think of anything else, this may occur if you have a small monitor.

You have stated that all your partitions are there so this can be the only reason I can think of!!.

andreyvl

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:07:44 am

swarfendor437, no. I'm talking abt installation process. here, the pictures are from Ubuntu installation which is the same for Zorin OS.
when you click on one of the nfts drives on this picture:

you'll get this:

so in the last line/section "mounting poit" I can not type in the mounting point I want. I can only choose from 2 options for NTFS drive (/dos or /windos).

Anyhow, I figured out a trick to input mounting point I need.

Wolfman

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:27:34 am

Hi,

picking up on swarfendors point about translation, are you doing the install in English or in Russian?, just try sticking to English, it may help solve the problem, you obviously don't have a problem with the English language!!.

Edit,

I mean, stick to English during the install, you can change it once the install is complete!!. :D

andreyvl

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:44:34 am

I run the installation in English... pics are in Russian just as an example, cause I knew where I could take the links for these screens. It's not my screenshots during installation.... Well maybe it was just a problem for the specific PC. Appreciate your attention anyway. Thanks.