This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Zorin 12.1 lite stalls at format screen

abracadabbra-zorin

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:54:05 am

Hi,
In the past week I attempted to install Zorin 12.1 lite, and later Zorin 12.1 educational lite on my my pc. The reason that I made two attempts in this manner is because the first installation would fail at the format screen (after selecting options and telling the software to proceed). All I received was an endless clock spinning on the screen and obviously no actions were taking place. So I thought, OK, what if I had a bad download, and to also eliminate (?) some other strange bug, why not try the 2nd installation with basicly the same system, but using the 'educational' version ? But unfortunately, exactly the same thing happened.
Both installations were attempted from SD card, and later attempted from DVD. I had the same failure in both.

OK, at this point I want to add that I had recently experienced this same problem with a later version of another system based on Ubuntu. But to be honest I had moved on from that and have forgotten exactly which OS system this was. My opinion at that time was that there was a bug in the installation software.

The PC involved is a Dell B110 with about 1 1/2 gygs of memory and a 2.1 CPU. The same computer has supported all other versions of Zorin (although I have previously thought that OS 12 seemed buggy so I did not install it.); Peppermint (up to 8), RoboLinux Mate (latest); Linux Mint, Chromixium, LXLE Lite and Eclecltica. These all have installed without a blip or a problem and are a pleasure to use. I currently have Zorin 9 lite installed.

I personally believe that this a problem with your software and that I would be wasting my time trying to install this again until you find and fix the bug. Also, Zorin 12 core, 12.1 lite (both versions mentioned) do work live on my pc, although the lite versions I like infinitely better. Those would be my choice to install if I could.

I do believe that I have seen mentions of this type of bug elsewhere on the internet in later versions of Linux which are based on Ubuntu. A failure to load the files needed to complete the format process seems to be the problem that is mentioned.

Thanks for your attention.

abracadabbra-zorin

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08:22 am

I found a way around the format failure which apparently also occurs with Zorin 12 32bit core standard at the format screen.
By deleting the desired partition and then choosing the same previous options (allowing the installer to create the partition and format, etc,) the installer can continue the complete installation.

I have experienced this same bug with older debian installation GUIs. Or anyway, I consider this a bug, but I don't design the software, so what do I know?

For me this solves my installation problem. I have never had this problem with Zorin 6-11 32bit versions.