This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Subtle GRUB bug

pccobbler

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:19:34 pm

All of the below was done via external USB enclosures on my circa-2013 HP laptop after removing the internal SATA drive to prevent creating a double-boot.

I installed both Linux Mint 18.3 and ZorinOS (on separate SSDs). I usually use Ethernet to install an OS, but this time I used the option to not download anything, in other words, use only the contents of the LiveUSB. Installation completed successfully, but when I booted into the system for the first time, there were problems.

With both OS, I saw the following message:
error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

With Linux Mint, the system booted eventually, but with ZorinOS, GRUB stopped cold.

I tested the same scenario with Ubuntu, but the bug was not present, but then again I did not play with the temporary OS very long.

I then used a spare HDD to install Linux Mint 18.3 via Ethernet. The bug was not present. I assume the same would be true with ZorinOS.

The problem is not a showstopper, as I can install via Ethernet, but perhaps someone should look at it.

Aravisian

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44:22 pm

pccobbler wrote:All of the below was done via external USB enclosures on my circa-2013 HP laptop after removing the internal SATA drive to prevent creating a double-boot.

I installed both Linux Mint 18.3 and ZorinOS (on separate SSDs). I usually use Ethernet to install an OS, but this time I used the option to not download anything, in other words, use only the contents of the LiveUSB. Installation completed successfully, but when I booted into the system for the first time, there were problems.

With both OS, I saw the following message:
error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

With Linux Mint, the system booted eventually, but with ZorinOS, GRUB stopped cold.

I tested the same scenario with Ubuntu, but the bug was not present, but then again I did not play with the temporary OS very long.

I then used a spare HDD to install Linux Mint 18.3 via Ethernet. The bug was not present. I assume the same would be true with ZorinOS.

The problem is not a showstopper, as I can install via Ethernet, but perhaps someone should look at it.

Pccobbler, could you please send a copy of your post and its report in a PM to AZorin?
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=169

pccobbler

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25:42 pm

I sent a copy to AZorin.