This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade to Ultimate

parf78

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11:56 pm

After experimenting for a week, I'm really impressed and decided to upgrade to Ultimate. I'm following the upgrade steps on the Zorin website, but I'm stuck at this step:

In the partition list, right-click on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Swapoff".
Right-click again on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Delete".

I don't see a swap partition anywhere on my computer. I attached a screenshot. Any thoughts? Thanks!

jpeg-Screenshot from 2019-07-02 17-38-30.jpg

Aravisian

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:27:51 pm

parf78 wrote:After experimenting for a week, I'm really impressed and decided to upgrade to Ultimate.

For this, I dub thee, Sir Parfolemew.
parf78 wrote:I'm following the upgrade steps on the Zorin website, but I'm stuck at this step:

It figures. As soon as you pull out your wallet, you get trouble.

parf78 wrote:In the partition list, right-click on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Swapoff".
Right-click again on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Delete".

I don't see a swap partition anywhere on my computer. I attached a screenshot. Any thoughts? Thanks!

jpeg-Screenshot from 2019-07-02 17-38-30.jpg

You can delete that ext4 right away. Then close out Gparted.
Open a terminal.
Code:
sudo swapon --show

If that command gives you nothing, you have no Swap partition to turn off. Which may be why it is missing on your screen.
But if you do get a return on it, you want to disable it:
Code:
sudo swapoff -v /swapfile

As root, open your file manager and go to /etc/fstab. Remove the "swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0" entry from the fstab file.
and in your terminal you can
Code:
sudo rm /swapfile

to remove it.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:33:34 pm

Seeing that it is installed to SSD perhaps Zorin very cleverly noted this and did not install one:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/178661/ ... th-new-ssd

Having a swap area on an SSD will considerably shorten the life-span of the SSD - If your hardware supports another drive, then install a platter and put swap area on that - NOT on the SSD. ;) :D

parf78

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03:55 pm

There was no swap...directions worked perfectly. Thanks for your assistance!