This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Won't Boot

Kryspen

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:25:41 pm

I've just bought Zorin Ultimate 15 to install on my laptop alongside windoze 10. I downloaded the iso file from your site. I also got the balenaEtcher application. I bought a brand new 16Gb USB stick to carry the operating system. To be sure there was no debris on the USB stick I formatted it. Then I flashed the iso file onto the USB stick.
Came to do the install. Got to the menu where I selected which medium to boot from and chose the USB drive. The result was a series of messages in very small type in the top left of the screen, most of which started with "Can't find ...". The last message said "Something has gone seriously wrong."

Please help!

David Smith

Aravisian

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:31:00 pm

Kryspen wrote:I've just bought Zorin Ultimate 15 to install on my laptop alongside windoze 10. I downloaded the iso file from your site. I also got the balenaEtcher application. I bought a brand new 16Gb USB stick to carry the operating system. To be sure there was no debris on the USB stick I formatted it. Then I flashed the iso file onto the USB stick.
Came to do the install. Got to the menu where I selected which medium to boot from and chose the USB drive. The result was a series of messages in very small type in the top left of the screen, most of which started with "Can't find ...". The last message said "Something has gone seriously wrong."

Please help!

David Smith

David, did you switch off the Fast Boot option on Windows 10 prior to making the install?
Windows Fast Boot reserves the drive and this will disallow access to it by another O.S. If you go into your Control panel Settings, you can switch it off.

If that is not the issue- can you give the basic specs of your system?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:50:23 pm

You also state you have a notebook (Laptop). It is custom to make (hp do anyway) 4 Primary partitions which would prevent you from installing another OS. In addition to Aravisian's advice you need to adjust the advanced power settings from within Windoze 10 to that puts the hard drive to sleep for faster boot times. You then need to use Windoze disk manager to shrink C:\ drive to make room for Zorin and I would install using the Matthew Moore non conventional dual boot method - just search on YouTube for it.

snydley100

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:29:21 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:You also state you have a notebook (Laptop). It is custom to make (hp do anyway) 4 Primary partitions which would prevent you from installing another OS. In addition to Aravisian's advice you need to adjust the advanced power settings from within Windoze 10 to that puts the hard drive to sleep for faster boot times. You then need to use Windoze disk manager to shrink C:\ drive to make room for Zorin and I would install using the Matthew Moore non conventional dual boot method - just search on YouTube for it.

Is there a way to remove GRUB from the MBR and use this non-conventional boot method without reinstalling Windows 10 or Zorin 15 again? I can add GRUB later using the EZBCD edit program, I just don't know how, or if it's even possible, to remove GRUB from the MBR, and move it to sda3, without having to reinstall Windows and Zorin. If it's not possible then I'll just have to wait until next time. The non-conventional way looks to be less intrusive, and better in case problems arise later.
Thank You,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:58:01 pm

snydley100 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:You also state you have a notebook (Laptop). It is custom to make (hp do anyway) 4 Primary partitions which would prevent you from installing another OS. In addition to Aravisian's advice you need to adjust the advanced power settings from within Windoze 10 to that puts the hard drive to sleep for faster boot times. You then need to use Windoze disk manager to shrink C:\ drive to make room for Zorin and I would install using the Matthew Moore non conventional dual boot method - just search on YouTube for it.

Is there a way to remove GRUB from the MBR and use this non-conventional boot method without reinstalling Windows 10 or Zorin 15 again? I can add GRUB later using the EZBCD edit program, I just don't know how, or if it's even possible, to remove GRUB from the MBR, and move it to sda3, without having to reinstall Windows and Zorin. If it's not possible then I'll just have to wait until next time. The non-conventional way looks to be less intrusive, and better in case problems arise later.
Thank You,
Snyde

Hi, could you please start a new thread of your own? Thanks. ;) :D