This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hdaving problems downloading Zorin 15

ezymel

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:24:46 pm

Hi:

I do have a previous post but I couldn't find it. So, I will try here in order to possibly solve my problem. I was going to purchase the disk but it was rather too much for me now as I first want to try it out. I tried downloading it but when I saw the amount of time to download it, it blew my mind. It showed that the download would take a day and checked the transfer rate. It showed that it was around 25kb/sec which is awfully S.....L.....O.....W. This is the laptop I have and I admit it is slow plus i have Hughs Net which is awfully slow as well. My laptop is an acer Aspire 3 A315-31 which does have a dual 64bit processor but only 4 Gb RAM which is not up gradable because the RAM is soldered in. Only certain models of this laptop has it and mine is this model. I tried to download the program 3 times and timed out where I couldn't get it restarted. At times, the transfer got as low as 16 Kb/sec. It must be the slowness that makes the download stop. So, I really don't know what to do as far as re downloading again. This is quite pathetic. So, I ask if there is a lower cost Zorin that I can try before I go for the big one? I would very much like to see how this will benefit me. Thank you very much for your response and I hope you can answer me soon as I am eager in trying out Zorin. Bye for now.

ezymel

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11:42 pm

Hi, have you tried the sourceforge link?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/15/

and try the #r1# iso.

Alternatively you could see if the unofficial torrent works for you:

http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2019/06/zorin ... rents.html

;) :D

ezymel

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:58:12 am

Hi Swarfendor437

I haven't tried the sourceforge link yet and you mention to try the #r1# iso which I don't know how to access. Isn't there a DVD or flash drive that I can purchase which has the Zorin 15 on it? It certainly will save me headaches. I am ready to pay for the zorin 15 if it comes on a DVD or flash drive. I don't see anywhere to buy it. I would be very leery is sending in the $39.00 to get the download as if it fails again, I would be wasting the money I paid for it. Although, there are so many distros of Linux that is available and which I tried some of them, I still find that it is not easy to use. I had Linux Mint and it was pretty good but still not to what I would like, similar to windows. It is not that I don't have the experience with computers themselves, as I have been trained on computers over the many years. I admit that I am still a novice when it come to Linux. Again, thank you for answering me previously. I hope you can help me with this. Thank you, much
ezymel or Mel.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13:22 pm

Hi there. Team Zorin used to provide media but is no longer available. When I point you to sourceforge it is for the Core version only which is free which you should try first anyway to sse that it works with your hardware (No GNU/Linux will work on all hardware due to the fact the hardware was never built to take GNU/Linux in the first place. ;)

Here is the link to the r1 (update) to Zorin 15:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin- ... o/download :D

Aravisian

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:01:36 pm

ezymel,
I also experienced a couple times of extremely slow download speeds from the Zorin OS website. It may be due to high volume. But I found that if you try again later, it is back to fast download speeds again. Those very slow download speeds are Not Normal.
If you try the Zorin OS download webpage now, it may work just fine.

It's true that it would be easier if you had a pre-made disk. In a funny way, I consider this a perk of using Linux. It places more control back in the users hands but with that control also comes more learning. With Linux, sometimes you have to learn how to do something new whereas Windows would wrap it up in a nice bloated package you can't trust.
And when that bloated package fails to work, you are left confused and uncertain as to what to do, trying to find MS help. Good luck.
So while it may seem frustrating at first that Linux Operations kind of seem to force you to learn how to do something new, it really pays off as you learn more and more and are more aware, in control and self sufficient.
If it came to an emergency, and you are located within the fifty US states, I could mail you a copy of Zorin 15 burned on a dvd disk.

Otherwise, once you have downloaded the .iso copy of Zorin 15 Core, will be happy to help walk you through the installation process. It's not painful at all and once you have done it, it is like assembling Ikea Furniture- So much easier and faster than the first time you tried it.

FSG

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:08:05 pm

it'd be nice for the ISO's to be broken into 4, 5 or more parts, to be joined together once all are downloaded, no or minimal wasted DL time then

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:40:16 am

FSG wrote:it'd be nice for the ISO's to be broken into 4, 5 or more parts, to be joined together once all are downloaded, no or minimal wasted DL time then

There is an unofficial torrent:

http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2019/06/zorin ... rents.html