This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hardware RAID

rob8

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10:44 pm

I'm trying to install Zorin on a RAID array using 4 SATA drives. I'm using a Silicon Image 3114 SATA RAID controller, which is correctly recognized by the installer, with the size of the array also correct. However, the installer always crashes shortly before the installation finishes. This happens no matter if I make the partitions myself (/,boot, swap) or if I let the installer make the decisions for me. Is there a better way of doing this? I'd rather not do a software array if possible.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:22:50 am

Hi,

another thought on this matter if you say that the installer keeps crashing is that you may have a corrupted image of Zorin!!. What version are you trying out and is it on a CD or on a USB stick??.

If you have time; you could redownload the ISO and burn it to a CD at the SLOWEST speed possible!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

rob8

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27:11 pm

Hi, and thanks for your help! I re-downloaded Zorin 5.2, checked the md5, and this time put it on a flash drive (gotta love unetbootin). This time the install got further, but it came up with with the error "failed to install bootloader on /sda1". That was really strange, because I selected the RAID array as the target for the bootloader. It gives you the choice of other devices, but when I selected the array (again) and clicked OK, nothing happened. Same thing with "continue without boot loader". It completely stopped responding. Installer bug, maybe?

Anyway, if it was sda1 it wanted, sda1 it got. I put in an old 20 gig ata drive I had laying around and this time selected it for the /boot partition. I also set the BIOS to boot from that drive. Worked like a charm! I'm up and running and writing this reply on it. Kind of a round about way of getting it installed, but I'm loving this OS. Fastest boot up and shutdown time I've ever seen, and even my crappy ATI card is working with desktop effects. :D