This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wine not working in Zorin 15 Core live

pluto

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:22:32 am

Hello

My Notebook is from HP.
I installed Zorin 15 Core live to an USB Stick 8 GB and another one 16 GB.
Almost everything is working fine, WLAN, Persistence with Unetbootin and so on.

When I tried to open an exe file, Zorin wants to install windows programs support which is wine.
When I say yes, downloading begins but stops after few seconds without any message and the download windows just disappears. When I tried download again, this happened again.

Any solution?
Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47:03 pm

It will try to install the one from Software. You need to install Synaptic Package Manager and install version 4 from there.

pluto

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:12:57 am

Thank you, I installed it, now working well.
As Wine in Zorin is the only out-of-the-box wine I know and therefore a key app for Zorin, Zorin should automate this procedure.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:08:15 pm

Well I can see a reason not to include it. As I understand they are making efforts to appeal to business/Education environment. From a personal perspective (and possibly Zorin's too):

http://techrights.org/2019/07/11/micros ... ide-linux/

I won't have anything M$ on my GNU/Linux installs, not even WINE. ;)

Aravisian

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53:52 pm

pluto wrote:Thank you, I installed it, now working well.
As Wine in Zorin is the only out-of-the-box wine I know and therefore a key app for Zorin, Zorin should automate this procedure.

Wine came with Zorin in Zorin 12, but not in 15.
It's easy to install Wine using Synaptic as Swarfendor suggested or from terminal.
Wine is something some people need or want and many people do not. So, it makes sense that most distros avoid including it since those who want or need it can get it easily, Wine is an independently developed software with its own support and the addition of Wine may be misleading.
Wine is very good at what it does but it does occasionally have problems. Many people think Wine Included means they will be able to run any and all MS built developments and this is not the case. Wine is neither an emulator nor the Complete Windows Operating System. The way it works is primarily by bridging the gaps between how Linux works and how Windows works.