This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to do an in-place upgrade of ZorinOS Lite

brunoais

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:45:00 pm

Now that ZorinOS Lite came out. Is the in-place update ready?
If not, what's the expected, non-contractual, release window for that?

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:13:22 am

I haven't tried this on Lite but first, backup any critical data (hopefully you will have installed using the 'something else' method where you create a separate /home partition.
Run the installer from live media, choose something else method, format your '/' partition to 'Ext4' and mark again as '/'. Then modifiy your /home partition by marking it as '/home' again (you shoulldn't have to do anything with 'swap area'. Now install, cross fingers and see what happens! You would need to set up email and printer drivers but your desktop settings should be the same (but not wallpapers!). ;) :D

brunoais

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:11:54 pm

That doesn't seem like an in-place upgrade....
I do have my home in a different (LUKS) partition.
I do have a complete guide to reinstall most things but I was not expecting to use that for a system upgrade.
I was actually expecting something that would act nearly like do-release-upgrade does for Ubuntu.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16:35 pm

Team Zorin haven't informed me of such a route - it may exist, am just not aware of it. I only share what I know/am aware of/workarounds. ;) :D

brunoais

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50:19 am

https://zoringroup.com/blog/2019/06/05/zorin-os-15-is-here-faster-easier-more-connected/ wrote:You can upgrade to the new version by following this guide. Direct upgrades from Zorin OS 12 to 15 – without needing to re-install the operating system – will be available later this year.

https://twitter.com/ZorinOS/status/1168813209668788224 wrote:We will also make it possible to directly upgrade from version 12.4 to 15 after it will be released

(my emphasis)

This is what I mean.
They also don't seem like they care to respond to my tweets asking for a broad ETA estimate. They sometimes mention like above but not even "we want to surprise, so no more info on that" kind of answer.

Aravisian

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:07:38 am

brunoais wrote:
https://zoringroup.com/blog/2019/06/05/zorin-os-15-is-here-faster-easier-more-connected/ wrote:You can upgrade to the new version by following this guide. Direct upgrades from Zorin OS 12 to 15 – without needing to re-install the operating system – will be available later this year.

https://twitter.com/ZorinOS/status/1168813209668788224 wrote:We will also make it possible to directly upgrade from version 12.4 to 15 after it will be released

(my emphasis)

This is what I mean.
They also don't seem like they care to respond to my tweets asking for a broad ETA estimate. They sometimes mention like above but not even "we want to surprise, so no more info on that" kind of answer.

I have noticed that Team Zorin dislikes giving an ETA, as well. Simply, they don't like to have a mark that they may miss.
Some may call that wise and some may call that foolish.
As I learn more about Linux Operating Systems in general, if there is one thing that stands out: Goals are harder to achieve than you might think. Linux is modular, unlike Windows, but being modular, some parts do not like to play so nicely with other parts. Sussing out the root cause can be a major PITA.

Most of us young whippersnappers alive today do not remember a time before IH-20 cut a straight line through the land and before cell phones.
Back then, most people drove at about 55 mph along Route 66.
Radiators were finicky and there was no pull over at the one of millions of McDonalds. You packed a picnic basket and you just cruised toward your destination. There were no electronics to amuse or cellular apps and games. The kids in the backseat were entertained by watching the landscape rolling by and in-car discussions as a forum for the free exchange of ideas.
There was no texting asking for an ETA.
You got there, when you got there.
Today we have been conditioned to demand. To have these things called "Expectations." We are entitled and we are spoiled.

Zorin Lite is free. Created by two guys that started it as teenagers. Zorin 12.4 Lite is fantastic and Zorin 15 Lite is just as good. I prefer 12.4, myself.
The Upgrade option will get here when it gets here. Or maybe it never will, maybe it was a great idea that just won't work out. Who cares? Installing Zorin 15, with a proper backup, is a total breeze and "upgrading" without re-install may seem like a nifty perk but is unnecessary.

brunoais

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:40:21 am

I don't want a contractual or anything like that ETA.
What I want is an ETA in the definition of the words.
They could have said in 3 Sep: "We are expecting to release ZorinOS 15 Lite between November and February but definitely not before Xfce 14".
They had already mentioned that the in-place upgrade would be after ZorinOS 15 Lite, so no use in asking before ZorinOS 15 Lite comes out.
For the in-place upgrade, they could say, for example:
"Current ETA is between December and February".
They would also mention:
"Any time from now, we are fixing bugs, after we believe there are no bugs, we will release."

For me, all of those seem good ETA... Is this too unique of a request? Is it because I'm a developer too?

BTW, I'm not familiar with most references you mention. I'm not from USA. I'm from EU. I know them from movies, articles and whatnot.... but that's about it.

before cell phones.

Yeah, I remember that. I had to use the landphone... All using cord.... The phones were rotary phones.... Having to plan trips because google didn't exist yet (much less google maps)... Using physical map with magnets to track the path (along with a compass)... I've been through all that. Including my first phone was an ericsson brick ...and then got Nokia 3310...
So yeah... I'm old enough to know what is waiting for a 56k modem to connect.

Aravisian

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:00:55 pm

brunoais wrote: Is this too unique of a request?

No, it is not. Your points are sane, reasonable and perfectly valid.
I offered a different point of view that is also sane, reasonable and perfectly valid.
This is not a scientific debate; We cannot go back and forth on this topic hashing out the merits of each argument. They are opinions for each reader to consider and nothing more.
Something to think about, not something to fight about.

While you, personally, may offer a wide range in your ETA and be very easy going about it, some others may be different. As a developer, I am sure you know how it is not the reasonable people you have to worry about. I think it is great that you are asking questions and expressing interest in Zorins development and I do not suggest that you are bitching needlessly.
But we also both remember a time when life was harder, less convenient and less open to our demands. We also remember a time when life was easier because of that.