This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

NextPVR v5 on Zorin OS 15 Core

phatmeow

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37:51 am

Hi there many thanks to those who had helped me with usual linux noob questions/issues :mrgreen: I just installed Zorin 15 OS Core a few days back and the machine is working great and all the key hardware are now up and running with various linux software so this greatly inspires my confidence for when i finally move away from Windows :P My specific question this time is : has anyone successfully installed and watched/record Live TV on Zorin 15 using NPVR v5?
https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=59390
currently i've gotten my Geniatech T-230 usb tuner up and running using Kaffeine but i confess to being used to NPVR having used it for years on my Windows machines :ugeek: My issue is having followed the instructions in link i keep getting a "E: Unable to locate package checkinstall" error :cry:

Aravisian

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:59:37 am

Checkinstall was dropped because it has some configuration issues and could (and did) overwrite files it should not have.
Recommend that you use "make" installed. Zorin 15 already has Make installed, so you need only run the "make install" commands.
Code:
/.configure

Code:
make

Code:
sudo make install

Edit: Or try these commands, instead and see if they work:
Code:
curl https://nextpvr.com/nextpvr-helper.deb -O

Code:
sudo apt install ./nextpvr-helper.deb --install-recommends

phatmeow

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28:35 pm

Aravisian wrote:Checkinstall was dropped because it has some configuration issues and could (and did) overwrite files it should not have.
Recommend that you use "make" installed. Zorin 15 already has Make installed, so you need only run the "make install" commands.
Edit: Or try these commands, instead and see if they work:
Code:
curl https://nextpvr.com/nextpvr-helper.deb -O

Code:
sudo apt install ./nextpvr-helper.deb --install-recommends

Tried the above and got this - how to proceed?

Aravisian

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:05:34 pm

According to that message in your terminal, it is installed and updated to the latest version.

phatmeow

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25:57 pm

Aravisian wrote:According to that message in your terminal, it is installed and updated to the latest version.

hmm can't seem to generate launcher for it :cry:

Aravisian

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:37:32 pm

phatmeow wrote:
Aravisian wrote:According to that message in your terminal, it is installed and updated to the latest version.

hmm can't seem to generate launcher for it :cry:

Yeah... I have had that happen a few times. Enough pieces seem to get put into place to register it as installed, but not enough pieces to make the thing work.

I found a very reliable and easy fix for that situation: Give up. Install something else.

Sigh...
Let me try installing that thing and see if I have any luck.
....(I am now installing it, you are waiting. Only, it won't feel like waiting because that time that passes for me will read as a moment to you in reading this sentence.)

---watching the terminal, I just got a warning on it about zlib missing. Note made...----

Ok installed it and... I cannot find any way of launching anything.

Trying
Code:
sudo apt-get install mediainfo-gui

Installed.
Typed
Code:
mediainfo-gui

in terminal, nextviper whatever it is called just launched.

Chuggin Ice Cold Dr. Pepper, now.