This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

WiFi connection Zorin 15 Lite

ChrisC

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:55:00 pm

I have successfully installed Zorin 15 Lite on a Dell Latitude D630 laptop but an having trouble getting the WiFi connection to work. I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U router and it works fine if I use a cable to connect the laptop to the router but I have so far failed to get a WiFi connection, despite trying to configure the Network Connections in numerous ways. I was formerly running Mint 17.1 on the machine and had no problem with the WiFi connection. Any help would be much appreciated.

ChrisC

Aravisian

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:26:40 pm

ChrisC wrote:I have successfully installed Zorin 15 Lite on a Dell Latitude D630 laptop but an having trouble getting the WiFi connection to work. I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U router and it works fine if I use a cable to connect the laptop to the router but I have so far failed to get a WiFi connection, despite trying to configure the Network Connections in numerous ways. I was formerly running Mint 17.1 on the machine and had no problem with the WiFi connection. Any help would be much appreciated.

ChrisC

Is your wireless card Dell XPS? Broadcom?

ChrisC

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:24:11 pm

Thanks Aravisian. In looking for the details of the wireless card I discovered a small switch on the left hand side of the body which turns the Wi-Fi on and off. I had accidentally turned it off. I now feel like a complete idiot (not for the first time, I must admit).

Chris

Aravisian

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:41:15 pm

ChrisC wrote:Thanks Aravisian. In looking for the details of the wireless card I discovered a small switch on the left hand side of the body which turns the Wi-Fi on and off. I had accidentally turned it off. I now feel like a complete idiot (not for the first time, I must admit).

Chris

Best feeling like an idiot ever, though, right? :D

Honestly... This is normal. The logical mind will deduce that a Known Recent Change is the cause, rather than an unknown, even if obvious in hindsight, element could be the cause.
It does not matter what you are troubleshooting, cars, jet aircraft or desktop computers... this plagues them all.
So, no- you are not an idiot. As distressing as it may be, though, you are apparently normal.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:21:20 pm

Had you not rectified the issue I would have proferred D600 advice where in Linux it does not see 'wlan0' but 'eth1'! :lol: