This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

installation on Toshiba tecra m1 ?

onlinemann

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:06:36 pm

Hello,

i want to become a new linux user.

i have a toshiba tecra m1 labtop
intel pentium m, processor 1500 MHz
1.50 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB hard drive, 1 CD drive (boot)

That would be my test Laptop.
Can I boot and install Zorin Light from CD-Drive?
There are USB included, but I cannot boot from USB.

I am currently reading a lot about Linux and somehow everything is like a cloud to me, very far away.

Maybe someone has an idea how I can handle it.

Thanks for your work

Aravisian

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:29:08 pm

onlinemann wrote:Can I boot and install Zorin Light from CD-Drive?
There are USB included, but I cannot boot from USB.

Not only can you, I recommend it. Booting from Optical Drive has always worked much better than booting from USB drive, for me.
onlinemann wrote:I am currently reading a lot about Linux and somehow everything is like a cloud to me, very far away.

Maybe someone has an idea how I can handle it

Any new thing to learn seems daunting and very far away at first. Do you remember when you first learned to ride a bike? For me, someone held the seat and guided me.
Or remembering to drive a car- I recall my knuckles were white on the steering wheel. But just like those things, you can handle it easily. And we are here to hold the seat.
There are new things to learn and with that, comes control back into your hands and the ability to manage your computer better than when it was managed for you.

onlinemann

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23:10 pm

Hallo Aravisian,

Boaaah so quick response and thanks for the encouraging words.

The CD drive is not a DVD drive and can only approx. 700MB.

How should I create a boot CD with an ISO file of 2.3 GB?

Thanks for your help very nice

mdiemer

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10:56 pm

You can't use a CD, as far as I know. Your options would be to use a USB thumb drive, or buy an external DVD drive (a useful thing to have anyway). for now, why not give the USB a try? If you are still on Windows, You can use one of the free apps for Windows. When on Windows, I use this one:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-To ... Burn.shtml

Once the ISO is created, boot your computer from it by tapping whatever key you need to use to bring up the boot menu, and select either USB drive or Hard Drive - your USB will be listed under one of them. And you want to have the USB in the computer, obviously. If you can't do it that way, you have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order, so the USB will be the first listing under Hard Drives.

Aravisian

Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:30:43 am

onlinemann wrote:The CD drive is not a DVD drive and can only approx. 700MB.

How should I create a boot CD with an ISO file of 2.3 GB?

Thanks for your help very nice

Mdiemer is pretty much correct. I did not pick up on "CD" rather than "DVD" at first, as most people use them interchangeably.

Option One:
If your CD-ROM drive is RW (It would need to be re-writable) and if your max size is 700MB's, you would need to break the ISO into three parts and burn a three-disk series. That gets too complicated. Second, Mdiemer is right that most of the time, burning an ISO to CD (Not DVD) at home is tricky and you need extra software or hardware.
Option Two:
This option would be to download Zorin and then convert it into a mini-iso. Which would defeat the purpose of selecting Zorin as it would remove the components that make it Zorin. You could opt for Ubuntu Mini, which is about 40MB's. But you then run into the problem of being able to burn it as a CD image.
Option three:
Acquire a disk from another person. Even if you cannot personally burn the disk at home, maybe someone else can help. If you know anyone reasonably nearby that could mail you a disk or hand it to you that has a DVD-RW drive.

It would be the easiest option to boot from USB. Why is it that is not an option?

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:50:36 pm

If your notebook won't boot from usb then you need this on a CD:

PLOPBOOT.

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

onlinemann

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57:50 pm

Hello!

First of all I would like to thank [b]Aravisian, Swarfendor437 and mdiemer[/b] for the immediate help.

Plopboot worked.

But I found that I have a DVD drive.. :roll: :o

After the Zorin bootloader was on the screen, the following error occurred:

Warning: PAE disabled. Use parameter 'forcepae' to enable at your own risk!
This kernel requires the following features not present on the cpu: pae
unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU

Then I read the internet and looked for this error.

This warning (error) can be eliminated:
Press the tab key when you see the Zorin loader and add the word forcepae at the end. At the end of the boot line with the start options I have: forcepae - forcepae

Everything works now and I can try Zorin

Thanks again for the help

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:04:31 am

Oh dear - expect Zorin to run like a 3-legged dog - but then again depends on processor and amount of RAM. If you find yourself having such difficulties I would recommend a non-p.a.e. distro such as AntiX 19 or SolydX Community Stable Edition - both run on xfce and use minimal memory to run. ;) :D

onlinemann

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:54:40 pm

hallo,

on my Toshiba laptop this is not so bad.
only it is all very slow and it really makes no joy to work on it.

Thanks again for your great help and a Merry Christmas. :D