This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer Idle

ZDuncan

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:49:00 pm

Hello,

I've been attempting to get an old HP DeskJet F2180 printer working with Zorin 15. The printer is recognised by the system, i.e. it appears under devices and in CUPS, but its status shows as 'idle'. When attempting to print a document, all seems to go correctly as far as the computer is concerned, i.e. the messages 'printing' followed by "printing completed" appear at the top of the screen, yet nothing actually ever physically happens with the printer!

I've tried updating the drivers, but had a nightmare with HPLIP. I downloaded version 3.19.12, but got an error message saying automatic installation of this isn't possible on the OS I use. Apparently another (allegedly the newest) version of HPLIP is already installed:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii hplip 3.17.10+repa amd64 HP Linux Printing and Imaging Sys

However:

Generic-CUPS-BRF-Printer
------------------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: cups-brf:/
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Generic-CUPS-BRF-Printer.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Generic-CUPS-BRF-Printer.ppd ppd file
PPD Description:
Printer status: printer Generic-CUPS-BRF-Printer is idle. enabled since Sun 29 Dec 2019 14:45:24 GMT
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

Can anyone help me wake my idle printer up please? Many thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:24:34 pm

The system should already have the drivers present without hp-lip:

HP f2180.jpg

On checking HPLIP is installed by default (3.17)

What I have discovered in the past is that using:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer
in terminal gets better results - even if it does launch the familiar interface at the end of it. ;) :D