This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Wine to work in 15.1 core

IBPeepin2

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53:54 am

Installed Zorin 15.1 in a Toshiba laptop with dual boot with windows 10.
Toshiba L555D-S7005, Laptop, CPU AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M520, 2294 MHz. Memory 3838MB.

Would like to get wine to work ,for I have several programs that I would like to use. Have read quite a few articles about the installation and used synaptic package manager to install wine from the repository. The application menu show that wine is installed but, cannot get it to browse C drive or install any exe file. Would like to know if there is anything else I need to do (any software that needs to be installed ) that would get wine working for me.
Please keep in mind that I am new to zorin and a former WIN user. Not really comfortable yet, with the command line in linux.
Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aravisian

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:04:15 am

IBPeepin2 wrote:Please keep in mind that I am new to zorin and a former WIN user. Not really comfortable yet, with the command line in linux.
Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do you remember your white knuckles when you were first learning to operate a car? And that time before when you were screaming at your dad to not let go of the bike...
In hindsight, it seems so easy.

No better time than now to familiarize yourself with the command line :D
It is very easy. And the CLI is often the most efficient and powerful tool. That it is so lacking for most users in Windows says a lot about where the control is.
So, let's get started.
First, even Linus Torvalds doesn't memorize every CLI command. Experts look them up as often as what you might call "nubes" do.
Open your terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and paste in the following commands:
You need to have the 32 bit architecture enabled for Wine4
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common wget

sudo stands for "SuperUser DO" SuperUser (or Root User) "DO" this command.
The "-y" is instructing the installer (apt or Advanced Package Tool) to also install Dependencies. In Windows, each installer includes all dependencies, whether they are needed or not creating BLOAT on your system.
Next- grab the Repository key:
Code:
wget -qO - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -

These ensure safe repository contents.
Now that we have done that, let's get the repository added to our source list so that our package manager knows the repository to look in for the packages that you want.
Once this is done, the settings remain so later, you do not have to add the key or the repo again.
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport

Update the sources list in the machine so everything is aligned:
Code:
sudo apt update

Now- for the command that is going to install Wine (It may be Wine 4 or Wine 5 depending on your build):
Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

In the process of doing this, you will see the terminal relay information. Sometimes it will alert you to something that is missing. It may mention a missing dependency. It may say that a package could not be located. Or, it most likely will say everything has gone ok.
You can see how this is different from Windows where if anything goes wrong- it is a total mystery as to what went wrong and where it went wrong and you must call Sherlock Holmes in to figure it out...
This way- you are the objective observer to the entire process and can make corrections immediately and be informed and aware every step of the way.

Doing it this way should ensure all the encessary packages are installed to make it run.
Once your Wine 4 or 5 is installed, check to see which it is using the terminal
Code:
wine --version

All the above looks impressive the first time and lengthy, but the whole process goes quite swiftly.
When I migrated to Linux last year, the Terminal or Command Line was very new and I thought I'd never get used to it. Two weeks later, I was using the command line more than the mouse.
It's like walking out into an open field on a Spring Day after living in a bomb shelter for 30 years.
If any trouble or hiccoughs, please ask about them here. :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:43:07 pm

My only comment on this is that you should also ensure that your Software source is set to Main Server not your locale server. Last time I looked, wine in the Main Server repo was version 4 and that installed ok here (not on the machine I am sat at but where I am based). Version 5 is due to be released shortly. When wine installs it also pulls in Monoruntime installer and two Gecko installers - if you didn't see those appear that could be why you are not seeing wine in the menu - when you click on wine in the menu you should see 'Browse C: drive'. For good measure, also install 'winetricks' too. ;) :D

IBPeepin2

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:07:55 pm

Aravisian,
Thanks for the speedy response. Followed your directions and have Wine now working in Zorin 15.1,
again thanks to you and Swarfendor437. Will try to mark {Resolved} on the initial post

Aravisian

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48:56 am

:)