This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install doesn't see my Win10 OS for dual boot

davie261

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:30:08 pm

I have a USB with Zorin core, boot to it np and double click the install on desktop. Get to the install and it does not see an OS at all. I watched a tutorial and I should see a dual boot option but only have erase everything option, which I am not ready for. Restart system and thankfully my Windows 10 still works. :?

Aravisian

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:25:04 pm

davie261 wrote:I have a USB with Zorin core, boot to it np and double click the install on desktop. Get to the install and it does not see an OS at all. I watched a tutorial and I should see a dual boot option but only have erase everything option, which I am not ready for. Restart system and thankfully my Windows 10 still works. :?

No worries, your current Win10 is safe. It would have been a lengthy process of several steps to remove it.
The installer is the same installer as Ubuntu. Would this guide help?
https://linoxide.com/distros/install-ub ... indows-10/

davie261

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:37:16 am

The part where you download a .iso and use a program to load it to a usb drive that is bootable, and make your Windows 10 computer boot to that letting you test the OS, that is doable for a newer potential linux user. The part where your Windows 10 OS is not recognized for dual boot is way to complicated, turn this off, go into bios disable this setting, make a proper partition that linux is happy with.. maybe I am not ready, but the fact that the dual boot install does not see windows is sad.

Aravisian

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:47:48 am

davie261 wrote:The part where you download a .iso and use a program to load it to a usb drive that is bootable, and make your Windows 10 computer boot to that letting you test the OS, that is doable for a newer potential linux user. The part where your Windows 10 OS is not recognized for dual boot is way to complicated, turn this off, go into bios disable this setting, make a proper partition that linux is happy with.. maybe I am not ready, but the fact that the dual boot install does not see windows is sad.

Yes, but sadly, this has more to do with how Windows Operates, than how Linux does. It used to be quite easy. Since Win7, it has gotten very convoluted.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25:16 pm

If you want to do it the safest way, watch Matthew Moore's video, dual-booting with Windows 8, which boils down to pretty much the same as dual-booting with Windows 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0