This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

LiLi install help

Tall-Lucario

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:37:55 pm

Hello, I just joined on here to see if I could get my problem fixed for installing Zorin.

So, I've tried numerous times this week to install it on my cheep little laptop that is pretty slow, I've tried Ubuntu on here but I wasn't that impressed with it and that was still a little slow.

Anyway, I have tried to use both unetbootin and LiLi to get Zorin on this crappy computer, even tried to install both core and lite on this. For a while I thought it might have been the sever I uploaded it from, but when I got on my desktop and tried to virtual box, then it worked just fine.

Now I know I really like the OS but how do I get in on this silly computer :\

The problem is that it gets to the screen with all the options, and when I click the run in safe graphics, then the screen just goes white, then what was one the whole screen is now a small box in the top left corner of the screen. I have even tried all the other options and they don't work.

If you would like to know the specs of my computer, here they are:

CPU
Intel Celeron M 530 @ 1.73GHz 57 °C
Conroe-L 65nm Technology
RAM
1.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
Acer Acadia (uPGA-478) 55 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1280x800@60Hz)
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Hard Drives
78GB Western Digital WDC WD800BEVS-22RST0 ATA Device (SATA) 40 °C
Optical Drives
Optiarc CD-RW CRX880A ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I'd really like it if some one helped me with this :\

Tall-Lucario

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:10:05 pm

Yeah? What dose the older version have and not have compared to the new 5.2? can you share a link with me of where to download these?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:48:08 am

Tall-Lucario wrote:Yeah? What dose the older version have and not have compared to the new 5.2? can you share a link with me of where to download these?

Hi,

the first question I would ask you is what speed did you burn the CD at, make sure that you always burn an ISO at the slowest speed, I can see no reason why Zorin 5 shouldn't work on your notebook, try re-burning the CD at the slowest speed possible, this should solve your install problem!!.

If necessary; use a friends PC to burn the disk, just in case there is something wrong with your burner!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54:18 am

If I understand well, and since Tall-Lucario is saying that he has used unebutin and LiLi, I suspect that he is trying to install Zorin through a bootable USB stick, and not through a burned DVD, is that correct?
(Since he has only a CD optical drive and Zorin 5.2 core needs 1.1GB of space, hence a DVD).

What I don't understand is why you chose the option to run is safe graphics mode. I suppose you have tried chosing "Boot the live system" or "Boot the installation directly". What happened then?

Tall-Lucario

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:55:46 pm

madvinegar wrote:If I understand well, and since Tall-Lucario is saying that he has used unebutin and LiLi, I suspect that he is trying to install Zorin through a bootable USB stick, and not through a burned DVD, is that correct?
(Since he has only a CD optical drive and Zorin 5.2 core needs 1.1GB of space, hence a DVD).

What I don't understand is why you chose the option to run is safe graphics mode. I suppose you have tried chosing "Boot the live system" or "Boot the installation directly". What happened then?

Yes you are correct that I am trying to use a USB, mainly due to not having DVD's.

And I have tried all of the options on the list, most of them show that white screen like I explained earlier, some just showing code that I have no idea what it means.

swarfendor437 wrote:Just been browsing my latest purchase - Linux Magazine (with Mint 12 on the DVD!). There is a special feature on Linux and Laptops and the advice with graphics problems is to edit the bootloader. In Zorin, when the menu boots I would take the second option, safe graphics mode - down arrow once then press the tab key to edit the bootloader - at the end of the line enter (without the quotes) 'vga=nomodeset'.

Let us know how you get on.

Well, I tried typing that in but it still showed the white screen :\

By the way, thank you for all the responses

Tall-Lucario

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:57:51 pm

Well, I was able to get to run version 4 on my laptop. It's very slick and fast on it! Just what I needed. I'll try to put version 5 again some other time, but thanks for every one helping out :3