This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Reinstalling Zorin OS 15.2 Lite

Metalworks

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:18:32 am

I'm new to this OS and I want to reinstall Zorin OS 15.2 Lite on an existing Zorin OS alongside with eOS 5.1 (dual boot), but I have a problem of choosing the right way to reinstall Zorin OS, here are some screenshot of the instlation process, please tell me what to do?

If I choose "alongside" option, it will divides the eOS partion into half, that means I will have 2(two) Zorin OS installed, right?

Screenshot_2020-04-21_07-01-35.png
There is no "Reinstall" option

Screenshot_2020-04-21_06-27-12.png
"Alongside" option

Screenshot_2020-04-21_06-20-15.png
"Something else" option

Aravisian

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:52:25 am

This is a good question.
Because the screenshot only shows two partitions, yet the option is shown to say, "alongside THEM."

When I did a similar action, I opened gparted and deleted the partition which I wanted to do a reinstall on and expanded the OS that was to stay onto the entirety of the HDD, giving a Fresh start. I then updated the grub.
Then I installed alongside, in the normal fashion. I do not really know if this was the best method, but it did work just fine for me.

Also, great avatar.

Metalworks

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:11:58 am

This is a good question.
Because the screenshot only shows two partitions, yet the option is shown to say, "alongside THEM."

When I did a similar action, I opened gparted and deleted the partition which I wanted to do a reinstall on and expanded the OS that was to stay onto the entirety of the HDD, giving a Fresh start. I then updated the grub.
Then I installed alongside, in the normal fashion. I do not really know if this was the best method, but it did work just fine for me.

I did the Elementary OS installation first with the option Erase disk and install.. without setting up the mount point for swap and home, and then I did the Zorin Lite installation with the option Install alongside.., and as you can see on the third screenshot, there are no mount point on each OS, so if I have to delete the Zorin partition first, do I have to use mount point? if so what mount point should I choose? is it (/) or (/boot)?

Also, great avatar.

Thank you

Aravisian

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:21:27 am

Metalworks wrote:if so what mount point should I choose? is it (/) or (/boot)?

You would only use (/) as your mount point in a clean fresh installation. This is because it will know to build your mount point /boot folder in Root, whereas later mount points must be set in boot.

Metalworks

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:29:37 pm

You would only use (/) as your mount point in a clean fresh installation. This is because it will know to build your mount point /boot folder in Root, whereas later mount points must be set in boot.

Okey thank you