This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't use Opensource video on MacBook Pro

CrunchBytes

Sat May 09, 2020 6:35:55 pm

Hello, please excuse if this is the wrong forum/thread, and if this has been answered elsewhere - a quick search hasn't shown anything.

Resurrecting an old Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 13 (Core2Duo 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce 9400M) with Zorin Ultimate 15.2, but I can't get the opensource NVidia nouveau display drivers to work, which means I have to use the NVidia proprietary drivers, which have a couple of issues, such as: can't use the hot-keys to adjust screen brightness, and it glitches the display right at the bottom (fixed by setting the underscan to +1)

I've tried Feren OS, elementary OS, and Budgie from 'full install' boot sticks and they all work fine with the opensource nouveau drivers.

Symptoms: when selecting the opensource drivers and rebooting, I get the login page, but when entering the username/pass, I then get a blank screen (dark grey) with just a mouse pointer - no desktop ever appears.

Have to do a CTRL+ALT+F3 to get a console, issue a ubuntu-drivers install to re-install the NVidia drivers, then reboot to get the desktop back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Apart from that - it really flies now with Zorin, *and* I can keep it updated (can't update passed MacOS 10.11 on the Apple side, which means I can't update loads of my apps anymore).

Cheers, Richard

Swarfendor437

Sat May 09, 2020 8:56:04 pm

Hi, I am no mac expert but according to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wh ... p.1960644/ the best thing to do is keep OSX and run a VM of Zorin in Virtual Box. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sat May 09, 2020 9:09:16 pm

CrunchBytes wrote:Hello, please excuse if this is the wrong forum/thread, and if this has been answered elsewhere - a quick search hasn't shown anything.

Resurrecting an old Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 13 (Core2Duo 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce 9400M) with Zorin Ultimate 15.2, but I can't get the opensource NVidia nouveau display drivers to work, which means I have to use the NVidia proprietary drivers, which have a couple of issues, such as: can't use the hot-keys to adjust screen brightness, and it glitches the display right at the bottom (fixed by setting the underscan to +1)

I've tried Feren OS, elementary OS, and Budgie from 'full install' boot sticks and they all work fine with the opensource nouveau drivers.

Symptoms: when selecting the opensource drivers and rebooting, I get the login page, but when entering the username/pass, I then get a blank screen (dark grey) with just a mouse pointer - no desktop ever appears.

Have to do a CTRL+ALT+F3 to get a console, issue a ubuntu-drivers install to re-install the NVidia drivers, then reboot to get the desktop back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Apart from that - it really flies now with Zorin, *and* I can keep it updated (can't update passed MacOS 10.11 on the Apple side, which means I can't update loads of my apps anymore).

Cheers, Richard

I hate to bring up nomodeset, but I wonder if this is one of those times it may apply.
By loading the graphics after boot, it helps prevent that stickiness.
Code:
sudo nano  /etc/default/grub

for the following line:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

Include the command nomodeset within the quotes already there, after any other entries if there are any.
Hit ctrl+X to exit. It will ask if you want to save and what to save it as- since the existing file name is present, just hit the enter key.
Your terminal will restore to its normal appearance. You can reboot however you like, but with a terminal open and glaring at you, you may as well
Code:
sudo reboot

Test to see if it helps. It may take a couple boots to be sure.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 09, 2020 9:31:47 pm

Another thought:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost2681339

or try video=force vesa

CrunchBytes

Sun May 10, 2020 9:35:08 am

Thanks for the tips and advice. The 'nomodeset' resulted in no graphical boot at all, and as you can't actually see any grub options on the MBP boot (must be a peculularity of dual-booting with MacOS as there's no boot splash screen either), it took a while to get it all up and running again.
Interestingly, when I boot from a 'full build' on a USB stick (using old re-purposed WIndows To Go certified boot sticks), the full grub boot options appear, along with the boot splash screen.

Might try rebuilding with Zorin x64 lite, see if that makes a difference. Or might try swapping internal hard disks and installing Zorin as the only OS, to eliminate any MacOS shenanigens.
Cheers all!

Swarfendor437

Sun May 10, 2020 10:25:51 am

Hi I did post a how-to install Linux on a Mac from a publication on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12621&hilit=+mac

CrunchBytes

Sun May 10, 2020 12:11:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi I did post a how-to install Linux on a Mac from a publication on the forum:

Thank you - will take a look.

CrunchBytes

Sun May 17, 2020 8:12:16 am

So it turns out that Zorin Lite worked ok, Feren OS worked ok, and elementary works a treat. It’s just Zorin ultimate/core that doesn’t like the nouveau drivers on the MacBook Pro.

Now quad-booting the MBP, but likely to stick with elementary.

Thanks for everyone’s help :-)

Richard

Swarfendor437

Sun May 17, 2020 10:16:00 am

CrunchBytes wrote:So it turns out that Zorin Lite worked ok, Feren OS worked ok, and elementary works a treat. It’s just Zorin ultimate/core that doesn’t like the nouveau drivers on the MacBook Pro.

Now quad-booting the MBP, but likely to stick with elementary.

Thanks for everyone’s help :-)

Richard

Glad you got sorted - I can see the attraction of Elementary from a Mac perspective - the main thing wrong with it is the awful email application Geary - looks too much and behaves like OL365! ;) :D