This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing ZORIN 64 to a hard drive

brightspark

Wed May 27, 2020 4:58:23 am

HI there
hope someone can assist.
I have an old acer v5-571 Notebook on which I cannot access the BIOS or UEFI to change BIOS settings or BOOT Order. (It came with Windows 8.1, which no longer functions, and there seems to be no way to get into the BIOS settings (F2 or F12).

I have a hard drive that I would like to install Zorin 64 onto.
No matter what I have tried, I have not been able to access a hard drive (tried with 3 different drives).

Using Zorin 64 on a DVD, with a hard drive connected, and booting up, it always tries to load the operating system from the hard drive. (if there is no operating system on the hard drive the computer hangs. If there is an operating system on the hard drive (Windows 7 or Windows 10), it tries to start, but will not load Windows normally, suggests a repair ... which goes nowhere). I tried to load Zorin from a USB stick.. same problem.

I have been able to install Zorin 64 to an SD card from the DVD, and it appears to be working fine. (installed Zorin from a DVD ISO).
I tried Rebooting with a Hard drive and the working Zorin USB stick installed.... and the computer gets stuck, and will not even load Zorin, at all.
If I remove the Hard drive and reboot it works OK.

I am hoping that someone can give me a method to get into the BIOS/UEFI so that I can change the Boot up order, and install Zorin onto a hard drive.

Thanks in advance

zabadabadoo

Wed May 27, 2020 1:45:09 pm

Depending on version of Windows you still have, you may be able to get to your BIOS/UEFI via Windows Settings>Recovery>Advance Startup.
Select to do a Startup.
When the PC boots click Troubleshoot and see if that gives you option to open BIOS/UEFI. I have not tried this myself, though.

brightspark

Wed May 27, 2020 2:12:26 pm

Thanks,

I have tried this.
For some reason the bios/UEFI has the boot sequence as hard drive first and it will not boot off a Windows 7, 8 or 10 Cd-Rom drive.
The acer uefi apparently needs to be configured from with in Windows.

For some reason the Zorin DvD I burned, booted up ok, and I was able to install Zorin to a USB stick, without a hard drive being connected.
Once a hard drive is hooked up, it seems like the boot attempts to load from the hard drive, i tried 2 drives one with Windows 7 and another with Windows 10.. both fail. Cant start or repair. ...cannot access the Windows CD-Rom.

I am hoping there is a way to break into or Reset the bios to chage the boot sequence.

Appreciate your assistance

Cheers

Swarfendor437

Wed May 27, 2020 10:11:07 pm

ONLY if you have patience and perseverance and are careful at taking your notebook apart, removing the CMOS battery and reiniserting it should get you back to Factory Settings and access to BIOS - I had to do this at work after upgrading Samsung Notebooks to Windows 10 it prevented getting into the BIOS - stripping the notebook down carefully I managed to do this - not for the faint of heart! :D

brightspark

Thu May 28, 2020 9:24:35 am

Thanks for that
I was hoping to avoid stripping it down. The hard drive on thus Acer is right down the bottom of the notebook.
Not sure why these manufacturers have changed from having the hard drive under a small panel door on the bottom of the notebook, that was easy to open and replace...
I was hoping to find some tool/routine that could be run to reset the BIOS.
Thanks again

Swarfendor437

Thu May 28, 2020 10:46:55 am

There might be some software out there if you look for it - the danger is you could totally brick the machine!

brightspark

Thu May 28, 2020 12:10:54 pm

Thanks,
Good advice.... I will probably end up taking the hard drive out.

Cheers

brightspark

Fri May 29, 2020 8:47:27 am

Hi there,
Unfortunately I am very much a novice with Zorin ? Linux.
AS mentioned I am struggling to be able to get into the BIOS / UEFI so that I have flexibility with Boot up sequence.

I dont know what changed.. but for some reason I was able to get Zorin 64 onto my hard disk, after many hours trying booting from a Zorin CD and jackpot... it worked.... some how it side stepped the old Windows 7 failed system and booted to the CD

Still wanting to get into the Bios, I have tried again and now I can only boot direct to Zorin on the hard disk. The USB and CD_Rom DRive are not available to boot from.
I would still like to get into the BIOS and change be able to change the boot up sequence to be able to boot from all the devices.
Is there a way I can modify the Mount setup for the hard drive in Zorin, to mount a USB stick or CD at bootup instead?
And theni successful how could I get back to make Zorin mount again?

Sorry to be a apin, really appreciate any assistance

Swarfendor437

Fri May 29, 2020 3:23:14 pm

Hi, first off the BIOS issue - you can get detailed information from a command in the terminal:

Code:
sudo dmidecode
- you can then select all and save as a text file:

dmidecode.jpg

With regards booting off USB, try PLOP boot:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html