This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS live usb failure

grandmasterhack

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31:37 pm

something goes wrong when i try to load the distro up on live usb. it shows the unetbootin menu then it takes a while to load. the screen changes back and generates random 1s and 0s and then an error, can't create root and so on. i have tried 3 other distros: ubuntu 11.04 32bit, linux mint 11 32bit, and zorin os core 5 32bit. i have amd dual core x64. the os i use is windows vista with ubuntu 11.04 32bit via wubi. it seems like the problem is with ubuntu based distros. other distros work fine. i have tried start up disk creator which also failed and universial usb loader on windows and it still failed.

video version in linux mint(but its the same in zorin os): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSrxbjoyM9s

grandmasterhack

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:48:30 pm

so you have to buy it to get it to work? -__- how do you put it on your thumb drive?

grandmasterhack

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:12:38 pm

it is a different issue. unetbootin changes the default bootloader that comes with the distro. that can cause it not to load. thats why i posted there. this post is with the actual error produced.

retired

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:56:53 pm

When it boots up to the first unetbootin screen enter the boot commands and add rootdelay=15. See if that does it. If not you can try the 'dd' command. If you have a linux distro already installed , put the zorin iso on the home desktop, go to a terminal and as su or sudo or root enter this command (with your usb stick installed) 'dd if=/home/name of your home acc't/Desktop/exact name of iso as it appears on Desktop of=/dev/sdprobablyb' and hit enter . Watch the D in Desktop - it's a capital, check in properties of your sb stick to see what it's called - probably sdb. Good luck.

grandmasterhack

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:32:05 am

retired wrote:When it boots up to the first unetbootin screen enter the boot commands and add rootdelay=15. See if that does it. If not you can try the 'dd' command. If you have a linux distro already installed , put the zorin iso on the home desktop, go to a terminal and as su or sudo or root enter this command (with your usb stick installed) 'dd if=/home/name of your home acc't/Desktop/exact name of iso as it appears on Desktop of=/dev/sdprobablyb' and hit enter . Watch the D in Desktop - it's a capital, check in properties of your sb stick to see what it's called - probably sdb. Good luck.

whats the boot commands?

i enter this in terminal?

Code:
$ sudo dd if= '/home/michael/Desktop/zorin*.iso' of= /dev/sdb

ok it copied.

grandmasterhack

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24:46 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi grandmasterhack,
PS I have got Zorin 5 32-bit Ultimate on Thumb drive using Unetbootin....

thanks for replying. i just ran the installer straight so it worked.

harimphari

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55:05 pm

I am unable to install astrology software,pl help

Wolfman

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46:13 am

harimphari wrote:I am unable to install astrology software,pl help

Hi,

please start a new thread and explain exactly which software it is you wish to use. Please bear in mind that not all Windows programs will run under Linux!!.

Regards Wolfman :D