This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Troubles Installing In HP Mini 2110 - Help, please.

Dr_Desmorto

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41:56 pm

Greetings.

I'm here to require help from someone. I have an ancient HP Mini 2110 netbook, which I'm aiming to give to my 3 year old son, so he can play old consoles emulators. Also, I plan to test this OS, since my iMac is no longer updating (it's a mid-2010 iMac) and I'm not planning to buy another machine for the present time.

I'm facing the weirdest issue: through installation windows, the netbook keeps stucking during the firsts few steps of installation. Sometimes, it happens at the Time Zone window; others, at the previous; and some others, at the window after putting login and password. The cursor freezes, and I have no other choice but to force shutdown everything.

Another issue I want to address and ask is about screen resolution. HP Mini has a 1024x600 resolution with Windows XP and 7. Will I be able to use this resolution with Zorin OS? Others distros (Lubuntu, AntiX...) are stucked at 640 x 480.

I appreciate any help. My sincerely thanks to you all.

Aravisian

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48:51 pm

Dr_Desmorto wrote:Greetings.

I'm here to require help from someone. I have an ancient HP Mini 2110 netbook, which I'm aiming to give to my 3 year old son, so he can play old consoles emulators. Also, I plan to test this OS, since my iMac is no longer updating (it's a mid-2010 iMac) and I'm not planning to buy another machine for the present time.

I'm facing the weirdest issue: through installation windows, the netbook keeps stucking during the firsts few steps of installation. Sometimes, it happens at the Time Zone window; others, at the previous; and some others, at the window after putting login and password. The cursor freezes, and I have no other choice but to force shutdown everything.

Another issue I want to address and ask is about screen resolution. HP Mini has a 1024x600 resolution with Windows XP and 7. Will I be able to use this resolution with Zorin OS? Others distros (Lubuntu, AntiX...) are stucked at 640 x 480.

I appreciate any help. My sincerely thanks to you all.

Everything you said sounds like it comes down to Graphic Driver issues. Have you managed to get the OS installed at this point? You did say it is freezing or crashing at the Login.
I would recommend installing Zorin 12.4 Lite; with the kernel no higher than 4.18.0.70 on Older Machines. On a Newer Mini, Zorin 15.2 lite, but you may need to roll the Kernel Back to the same as above.
Once installed, you will want to ensure that you install the xorg-server package using terminal ( Can provide a guide on how to if needed).

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56:44 pm

Hi, I have an ancient HP Mini 110! Firstly, have you deleted all the partitions on there? They usually have 4 - hidden restore, Windows, hidden system partition, hidden recovery media creation partition - they will all have to be deleted because hp made them all FAT32 and Primary - the maximum number of primary partitions on any system is 4 and that is where your install is coming unstuck. You also need to check the processor. I asked on Askubuntu once and was informed that it would only take 32-bit OS not a 64-bit OS. I have since read elsewhere that whilst manufacturers might empower netbooks with a 64-bit processor, they only create 32-bit hardware which means you will have to go with 32-bit version of Zorin which is Zorin Lite. ;) :D

Aravisian

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:22:20 pm

Swarf to the rescue- thanks for informing about the 4 partitions- I had forgotten about that entirely.

To add to what you recommended: Zorin Lite comes in 32 or 64-bit.