This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

RDP shows different desktop

LeslieM

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:21:50 am

Hi,

I have just installed this lovely OS as a guest in Hyper-V on Windows Server 2019.
I have also installed xrdp and done the couple of changes to get it working so that I can connect from windows 10 using remote desktop.

Now to my issue:
Connecting directly within Hyper-V shows the normal desktop like this:

Desktop at normal login.png
The "normal" desktop

However, connecting via RDP shows this desktop:

RDP Desktop.png
Desktop shown via RDP

What I want to achieve is to have the normal desktop working with rdp.

I have tried a bunch of stuff with the .xsession and .Xclients files in the home directory but I can't seem to work it out.
I can see that the desktop is called zorin.desktop but I don't know how to use that information correctly.

Hopefully someone here knows what stupid mistake I am doing.
Thanks

LeslieM

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:19:28 am

To give an update, I have installed gnome tweaks and I am the tweaking in the RDP session to match things up with the normal desktop.
I changed a couple of things only as a test and rebooted to ensure that the changes are permanent - so far so good.

So I am gonna do them all (a bit tedious) and then once done, I need to figure out exactly where those changes were saved for future reference. So if anyone knows, now is a great time to tell me.

LeslieM

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:07:33 am

Ok, this is resolved for me.

What I did was to login local and install gnome tweaks by opening terminal and entering this:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool -y

I then ran the tweaks utility and took a screenshot of each page of settings.

Next I logged out (cause there is a bug with xrdp which does not log you out - I will look for that fix next).
Anyway, I then logged in from Windows 10 using Remote Desktop and ran tweaks
and I then made sure all the settings matched.

I had one issue to resolve, on the Appearance page of tweaks, the shell dropdown was not populated.
A little warning icon indicated that the shell user-theme extension was not enabled.

A google search gave various advice but in the end I simply entered the following command
sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shell and then restarted tweaks. Now the dropdown was populated and I was able to select ZorinBlue-Light.

In hindsight it could be that all I needed to do was some sort of package rebuild but it worked.
So now the desktop looks the same both with a local and a remote login (for the same user account).

I wonder where these settings got stored and if they could be set 'out of the box'.
Anyway, it was a bit of fun working that out. Now to figure out why remoting in does not log out the local account.

LeslieM

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:20:05 am

Weird, my self reply got lost. So lets try again.

Ok, so I have now resolved this problem. Essentially I did a local login, opened a terminal window and installed gnome tweaks using this command:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool -y

I then ran tweaks and made a note of each setting (I took screenshots to be sure).
I then logged out of that account (xrdp does not do that automatically for some reason) and went to my Windows 10 machine and connected via Remote Desktop.
I ran tweaks and found that the appearance:themes:shell dropdown was not populated. After some searching I decided to run the following command:
sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shell

and I then restarted tweaks. This time the dropdown was populated and I was able to choose ZorinBlue-Light. In hindsight it could be that all I needed to do was some sort of package rebui9ld, but it worked.

All that was left to do was matching the settings and finally it looked the same. Of course this was for the same account, my guess is that you might need to do it for each account. I only have the one.

At some point I will look where these settings have been saved as you have to wonder why they could not already be there 'out of the box'.
Anyway, now to figure out how to get xrdp to log out the local login

Aravisian

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:40:53 pm

Many of those "tweaks" are gsettings and you can achieve the same tweaks by managing the gsettings for each one. I have never used rdp, so I cannot be useful or helpful on that topic.