This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ubunto to Zorin?

rjhowie

Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37:45 am

Complete newbie to Linux so bear with me.

I have a laptop which i have installed Ubunto on as I was curious about Linux. I would like to try Zorin. Is there a way I can move from Ubunto to Zorin?

Wolfman

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:13:37 am

hi,

yoi can simply install Zorin over Ubuntu by replacing it, you can use the "something else" option and select the Linux partitions you want to use, you should have 3 partitions.

1 root denoted by a forward slash ( /) mount point
1 swap which has no mount point
1 home (user) partition denoted by "/home"

You should back up your data on your current ubuntu install and format both the home and root partitions.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15:34 am

No, unfortunately there is no way to upgrade from ubuntu to zorin.

Your options are:

Either you perform a clean install of Zorin (deleting ubuntu).
or you install Zorin in parallel with ubuntu (so you will have two OS from which you will chose which one to load at boot).

EDIT. Sorry wolfman, our posts must have been crossed.... :lol:

Wolfman

Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09:09 pm

EDIT. Sorry wolfman, our posts must have been crossed....

No problem MV,

we posted at almost the same time!!. (2 mins apart!)

rjhowie

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:01:25 am

Now that was confusing - one reply saying I can and the other saying no! Probably best taking Ubunto off (when I find how you do that) and replacing it with Zoron. Appreciate the replies from you both.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:46:58 am

rjhowie wrote:Now that was confusing - one reply saying I can and the other saying no! Probably best taking Ubunto off (when I find how you do that) and replacing it with Zoron. Appreciate the replies from you both.

Hi,

if you read both replies again, you will see that we both recommend deleting Ubuntu (worded differently), MV also suggested installing Zorin along side Ubuntu, you can do both if you want too!!.

rjhowie

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:37:43 am

Sorry for delay in replying folks. Many thanks for that clarity reminder. Have noted what you have said. Thanks for that.. I installed Linux on a wiped laptop that was spare for a niece of mine who is 15. Must say I was impressed by the simplicity of Linux and she is quite happy with it and had sussed it out very quickly. It was easier than I thought and when you consider what MS costs is a brilliant item.