This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem installing Zorin 15.2 Lite Password

jansmits

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:27:04 pm

Hi folks I have the following problem...

I downloaded the Zorin Lite 15.2 iso and tried installing Zorin of that.

As the computer boots up, it comes to the Zorin menu showing Zorin /Zorin safe graphics/Check installation media/reboot
After I press enter on option one or two the system churns for a while and returns with the Zorin desktop and a input box (see attachment).

IMG_0506.jpg

I have no user or password info.
The system is an old Xp system and my intention was to overwrite the disk with a clean Zorin installation.

At no point did Zorin show me any installation option, it goes directly to this desktop box??

Got any suggestoins?

Thanks,
Jan

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:32:35 pm

Normally, that should only appear if you were running live mode and then 'logged out' from the live desktop - the 'password' is usually blank so you just hit enter. (That was certainly the case in the past.) Did you check the md5 sum/SHA key of the iso you downloaded to check that it was not a corrupted download? ;) :D
Oh and you did not use a Download Accelerator Manager? These are known to corrupt .iso downloads. ;) :D

jansmits

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:50:18 pm

I tried three different downloads in two languages and both on dvd and usb stck

Can I still force a clean installation?

Aravisian

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:31:32 pm

On LiveCD, the User should be "Zorin" and the password blank.

jansmits

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:29:50 pm

nope does not work either unfortunately

jansmits

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32:45 pm

As the system still has its XP boot partition etc, could Zorin be using those login info?

jansmits

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36:02 pm

Is there any way that when the system displays the Try or Install menu to use TAB option to enter a command forcing a format of the disk or to force a new installation?

Aravisian

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:37:49 pm

jansmits wrote:nope does not work either unfortunately

Does this machine already have an older installation of a Distro on it?
I wonder if it is not booting from the USB and instead, booting into an already installed distro to which you do not know the user/pass.

For the Zorin LiveCD, the user "Zorin" and leaving the Password blank should have worked and the LiveCD does not boot into a Log In screen.

So, I would check the boot order and ensure that the USB is what is booting, first. I would highly recommend checking the MD5 checksum as Swarfendor pointed out.
https://zorinos.com/help/install-zorin-os/
Click the blue button that says "View sha256 checksums" beneath "Download Zorin O.S."

And ensure your copy is not corrupted.

Can you give the make and model of the machine you are trying to install on?
EDIT:
jansmits wrote:As the system still has its XP boot partition etc, could Zorin be using those login info?

No, and the screenshot you showed is definitely an Ubuntu-style login backdrop.
It IS possible that not enough available partitions exist on the drive for a new installation. You may need to boot into XP and use a partition manager to ensure you have less than Four Partitions.
jansmits wrote:Is there any way that when the system displays the Try or Install menu to use TAB option to enter a command forcing a format of the disk or to force a new installation?

Yes, but first you need to ensure that you are indeed booting from a valid media.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:45:08 pm

You still did not answer my question on whether you checked the md5 sum or SHA hash key to ensure the downloaded iso is not corrupt. Would also help if you gave more information about the hardware you are trying to install. :roll:

jansmits

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You still did not answer my question on whether you checked the md5 sum or SHA hash key to ensure the downloaded iso is not corrupt. Would also help if you gave more information about the hardware you are trying to install. :roll:

Basically because i do not know how to do that? Can I use the third option in the Zorin menu showing Zorin /Zorin safe graphics/Check installation media/reboot?

jansmits

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:38:57 pm

the system I am installing it on is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo P P5SD1-FM2 with 1Gb of memory and a Prescott CPU

Really speaking I do not want the old XP installation so I good just somehow format the C-drive and then run the Zorin installation.
Perhaps then it would recognise the empty disk and perform a clean install?

Aravisian

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:29:12 pm

jansmits wrote:the system I am installing it on is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo P P5SD1-FM2 with 1Gb of memory and a Prescott CPU

Really speaking I do not want the old XP installation so I good just somehow format the C-drive and then run the Zorin installation.
Perhaps then it would recognise the empty disk and perform a clean install?

Possibly. In order to do so, you need to get the installation media to work.
You might hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 and if that responds by opening a tty, type in
Code:
startx

hit enter. If it takes you to a desktop, something interesting is going on...
Otherwise, it may list out a list of errors that we can use to troubleshoot.

What you describe sounds just like Login Loop.
But what makes it puzzling is that you say you have not installed any distro, yet.

Looking at the hardware you listed above, Ubuntu is compatible with Prescott CPU. I cannot find anything on a search of unusual lack of function on Fujitsu-Siemens notebooks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:06:15 pm

How to check an md5sum of an .iso whilst using Windows:

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

SHA method:

https://www.howtogeek.com/246332/how-to ... ered-with/

MBMz10

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:25:31 am

Is the username for the live media Zorin or zorin, I suspect the later but can't remember of hand.

Aravisian

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:29:37 am

MBMz10 wrote:Is the username for the live media Zorin or zorin, I suspect the latter but can't remember of hand.

Lower case, "zorin". Yep... habit of typing is to capitalize names... Oops...