This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Error stuck at installation

vantoo

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:09:46 am

Hello,

I am trying to install Zorin core version, everythin is normal till I reached to the screen asking me to download ubdate and third party sofware..etc, I chechked and press contiune, and the instalition still loading without any adavanding to the next page till I have to force the laptop to shutdown,

my laptop is Asus, I tryed to install alongside windows 10,
harddisk is only to partions

Aravisian

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:13:09 am

vantoo wrote:Hello,

I am trying to install Zorin core version, everythin is normal till I reached to the screen asking me to download ubdate and third party sofware..etc, I chechked and press contiune, and the instalition still loading without any adavanding to the next page till I have to force the laptop to shutdown,

How many partitions do you have?
Is fast boot disabled?
Is secure boot disabled?

vantoo

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:35:16 am

Aravisian wrote:

Is fast boot disabled?
Is secure boot disabled?

Hello, and thanks for your reply
yes secure boot is disabeld
dont have fastboot option in my bois I searched for it

Aravisian

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:38:51 am

vantoo wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

Is fast boot disabled?
Is secure boot disabled?

Hello, and thanks for your reply
yes secure boot is disabeld
dont have fastboot option in my bois I searched for it

Fast boot is disabled or enabled in Windows settings somewhere. I do not use that OS, so I cannot provide a guide,but you can readily find a guide with a net search on it. I understand it is very easy to do.
In order to install any Ubuntu Derivitive, like Zorin, you will need to keep it to 4 partitions per HDD or SDD.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:32:02 pm

Your image has not been spread out enough to see if you have four partitions present are Primary. You should install Zorin on your Data drive (the partition shown on the far right - before you do anything I would backup your SSD that has Windows on it using Rescuezilla (https://rescuezilla.com/).
And if you have any data on D drive - the usual thing that Asus does - and fills up the D drive with Windows scheduled backups! So be sure to backup anything on D drive before you begin.
If you have less than 4 primary partitions then make 1 primary partition on D drive - you should make a logical partition for your Windows data first on D drive:

https://vimeo.com/266410509

Then create a Primary Partition of 50 Gb where you should install the root system - formatted to Ext4 and marked as '/'.
Next create a Logical partition - inside of that start at the end of the partition to make a linux swap area for Zorin - it should be double the amount of physical ram you have in your notebook.
Lastly everything in front of swap area mark as '/home' and format to Ext4 FS (File System).
Then in Windows if your boot partition is NOT GPT and traditional MBR (Master Boot Record) install NeoSmart's EasyBCD - this will backup your MBR and will allow you to add an entry for Zorin.
When you are asked where to put GRUB - be sure you place it at the Start of D: Drive - not sure what it will show up as in Zorin but if you can boot into it live, would be worth running GParted and select your Windows Drive and take a screenshot as it lays out partitions better than Windows with clear indication as to what is primary. ;) :D

vantoo

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:02:42 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Your image has not been spread out enough to see if you have four partitions present are Primary. You should install Zorin on your Data drive (the partition shown on the far right - before you do anything I would backup your SSD that has Windows on it using Rescuezilla (https://rescuezilla.com/).
And if you have any data on D drive - the usual thing that Asus does - and fills up the D drive with Windows scheduled backups! So be sure to backup anything on D drive before you begin.
If you have less than 4 primary partitions then make 1 primary partition on D drive - you should make a logical partition for your Windows data first on D drive:

https://vimeo.com/266410509

Then create a Primary Partition of 50 Gb where you should install the root system - formatted to Ext4 and marked as '/'.
Next create a Logical partition - inside of that start at the end of the partition to make a linux swap area for Zorin - it should be double the amount of physical ram you have in your notebook.
Lastly everything in front of swap area mark as '/home' and format to Ext4 FS (File System).
Then in Windows if your boot partition is NOT GPT and traditional MBR (Master Boot Record) install NeoSmart's EasyBCD - this will backup your MBR and will allow you to add an entry for Zorin.

first thanks for your reply,
second the instaliion never reach to the partion point it just stuck after I press contuine in the download update and third party software, too much time till it tells me that there is no responding do i force it to shut down or just wait
When you are asked where to put GRUB - be sure you place it at the Start of D: Drive - not sure what it will show up as in Zorin but if you can boot into it live, would be worth running GParted and select your Windows Drive and take a screenshot as it lays out partitions better than Windows with clear indication as to what is primary. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:12:33 pm

There has been cases where Linux has not identified or picked up SSD's - that is what Windows 10 is installed to on your Asus Machine. I would search for 'how to ensure that Linux sees SSD during installation' - it could also be how ASUS configure their BIOS - My youngest at Uni has a Zen Book I purchased for them and I had to do quite a number of things in the BIOS just to boot Makulu Lindoz in Live mode just to check something out as she reported her Data drive getting filled up - Windows was continually autosheduling backups to the HDD, almost filling it up. Were it not for the fact that as a student they need to access Windows applications I would have removed it completely and installed a decent Linux distribution on it. If there are particular apps that the user needs access to then let's hear what they are. ;) :D