This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New install Zorin to duel boot W10 Gamming Laptop

alpha1

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:45:47 pm

Hi Guys, Do hope everyone is keeping Safe in these trying times.
Nonetheless, i would be grateful for your help here in resolving a small issue as follows.

Trying to install Zorin on a Laptop.
System 250 SSD 1TB HDD 8MB ram 17" system HP W10 Home.

I must mention from the outset i have had issues with finding the HDD and the USB Flash - but eventually after sever boots and changes in the Bios i have got to a point i can now see in Windows the SSD and HDD along with Flash drives

I. eventually worked out that i needed to do a few changes in the Bios to boot from Flash Drive all good and well.
2. Issue is When i have tried to install the OS to the new Computer SSD i am unable to find it - only the 1 TB Drive is being seen as the option to install to.
3. is it a case that my SSD is too small ?
4. or am i having a compatibility issue here.

Have i made a wrong choice in the bios and the setting up of the System? as to why i am unable to see the SSD.

FYI - Current settings
Info:- HDD/SSD1 931GB TYPE ATA HDD/SSD2 238GB TYPE NVMe
Processor i5-9300H CPU
Bios
USB Boot Enabled
Network Boot Disabled
Legacy Support Enabled

UFI Boot Order:-

USB Flash Drive
- OS Boot Manager
USB CD/DVD Rom Drive
! Network Adaptor

Legacy Boot Order:-

USB Flash Drive
- OS Boot Manager
USB CD/DVD Rom Drive
- Internal Hard Drive
! Network Adaptor

I would be grateful for your input here.
Thank you.

Aravisian

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:22:19 pm

alpha1 wrote:Hi Guys, Do hope everyone is keeping Safe in these trying times.
Nonetheless, i would be grateful for your help here in resolving a small issue as follows.

Trying to install Zorin on a Laptop.
System 250 SSD 1TB HDD 8MB ram 17" system HP W10 Home.

I. eventually worked out that i needed to do a few changes in the Bios to boot from Flash Drive all good and well.
2. Issue is When i have tried to install the OS to the new Computer SSD i am unable to find it - only the 1 TB Drive is being seen as the option to install to.

FYI - Current settings
Info:- HDD/SSD1 931GB TYPE ATA HDD/SSD2 238GB TYPE NVMe
Processor i5-9300H CPU
Bios
USB Boot Enabled
Network Boot Disabled
Legacy Support Enabled

If you are using Windows 10, it is odd that you would have Legacy enabled. Unless you have a specific reason for enabling Legacy, I would check if you can install as UEFI.
A 250 gig SSD is plenty of space. Your Zorin installation will take up less than 3 to 5 gigs and after you have settled in, installing additional software and such, you will probably remain under 20 to 50gigs.

Could you please boot into Windows 10 and then open up a command prompt.
In the prompt, enter
Code:
powercfg –h of

Confirm it, then reboot and the Zorin installer should see your SSD.

Also, while you are looking in BIOS, please ensure that your disk settings are AHCI and not RAID / RST.

alpha1

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:57:06 pm

Thank you kindly for the reply.
However i am not a very good communicator, my apologies in this respect.
But i had to select Legacy as withopuyt it i was not able to access and see the 1 TB HDD nor the USB Flash Drives whatsoever.
in the mean time i have had to do a lot of updates to the system over the past 3 weeks and i have not returned the system to the UEFI settings.

So as i understand this once i proform this cmd command line in win10 things should all be ok?

Well here we go. fingers and legs crossed.
will check back shortly.
Thank you.

alpha1

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:32:42 pm

ok, Just rebooted to Bios changed everting back to UEFI and the system has booted via the Flash drive, Strange.
Now i have advanced to the install - however i an none the wiser as to whether i am installing on the SSD or HDD or the moon for that point

GThjis is the output from trying to install:-
SCSl1 (0,0,0) (sda)

The following Partition are going to be formatted:
Partition #2 of SCSl1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ESP
Partition #3 of SCSl1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext4

Where doo i go from her?
which is the SSD drive where the OS will be installed?

Aravisian

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:48:06 pm

alpha1 wrote:ok, Just rebooted to Bios changed everting back to UEFI and the system has booted via the Flash drive, Strange.
Now i have advanced to the install - however i an none the wiser as to whether i am installing on the SSD or HDD or the moon for that point

which is the SSD drive where the OS will be installed?

You are dual booting with Windows 10, correct? In most set ups, the SSD is used to house the OS and the larger HDD is storage. Windows 10 should be mounted on the SSD and the MBR of your system will look there first.
As you would be installing alongside it Win10, it would be mounted on the SSD, as well.
You must have "fast boot" and "secure boot" disabled to install.

Once you have booted into Zorin Live, select the Installation, then when you get to the screen asking if you want to
Erase Disk (No, you do not)
You will see
"Something else" below that.
Select the Something else' option and from there, you must select a partition to install to.
You can only have up to Four Primary partitions on a drive. So, as long as you have four or less, including that which you allocated for Zorin, you should be able to install.
GParted will open and you can select free space to (+) add a partition OR, if you allocated a partition for Zorin ahead of time, click the (-) button to delete it, then click the (+) to format it (ext4) and choose that.
Make sure you select your mount point as /

It is not recommended to install a Swap File on an SSD.

alpha1

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:18:30 pm

In addition there is no reference in the bios to AHCIV or RAIDX that i can see. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply

Yes i am using W10 to duel boot
I have noted that my Bios has secure boot enabled
But there is no Fast Boot option here.

Ok

So i am not to used the alongside option to install ? Correct?
Go straight to Something else.
Ok will do - see how far i will get before screwing up the system.
Will let you know if it works
Thanks.

alpha1

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:35:39 pm

Tried to install alongside windows 10 installer crashed gtold to wait ansd allow system to cool down
I will try the second option next time