This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Boot screen has lines going down the screen

Henboy10

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31:25 pm

I put Zorin Lite on an old Dell Inspiron 1501 for someone, but every time it gets to the boot menu, lines go all the way down the screen. The only way to get in is to then press the power button to suspend, and then press it again to wake it up. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm not sure if something with the installation didn't go right, or if maybe its a driver problem.

Here is a video clip to demo it
https://streamable.com/5dr98l

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:12:55 pm

Well it depends on which version of the 1501 - having just had a quick search for specs, some reviews state it has integrated graphics which will remove an element of RAM in use, other models state they have up to 256 Mb ATi/AMD Radeon Express graphics chipset. ATi/AMD drivers are now integrated into the Linux kernel as AMD/ATi stopped direct support of Linux some time ago - but I suspect it is the graphics chipset/memory allocation - remember these devices were not manufactured to run anything other than Windoze! ;) :(

Henboy10

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well it depends on which version of the 1501 - having just had a quick search for specs, some reviews state it has integrated graphics which will remove an element of RAM in use, other models state they have up to 256 Mb ATi/AMD Radeon Express graphics chipset. ATi/AMD drivers are now integrated into the Linux kernel as AMD/ATi stopped direct support of Linux some time ago - but I suspect it is the graphics chipset/memory allocation - remember these devices were not manufactured to run anything other than Windoze! ;) :(

Do you think there would be any way of fixing it?

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:09:05 pm

Henboy10 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Well it depends on which version of the 1501 - having just had a quick search for specs, some reviews state it has integrated graphics which will remove an element of RAM in use, other models state they have up to 256 Mb ATi/AMD Radeon Express graphics chipset. ATi/AMD drivers are now integrated into the Linux kernel as AMD/ATi stopped direct support of Linux some time ago - but I suspect it is the graphics chipset/memory allocation - remember these devices were not manufactured to run anything other than Windoze! ;) :(

Yes, you have quite a few options. You may try using nomodeset to prevent the graphics from loading prior to the O.S. or you could rollback to an earlier known-working kernel.

To try nomodeset:
Open a terminal and paste in;
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

This will open the grub settings in a terminal-text-editor
Move to the line that says:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
And change the quoted portion after the equals sign to "quiet splash nomodeset"

It should look like: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
NO SPACES after the =sign.
Then Reboot.

Please update thread with results and if no luck, we cna try rolling back your kernel.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:10:37 pm

Just to add to what Aravisian has said, also add at the end:

Code:
xforcevesa acpi=off

No guarantees! ;) :D

Henboy10

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:28:39 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Henboy10 wrote:

Yes, you have quite a few options. You may try using nomodeset to prevent the graphics from loading prior to the O.S. or you could rollback to an earlier known-working kernel.

To try nomodeset:
Open a terminal and paste in;
Code:

This will open the grub settings in a terminal-text-editor
Move to the line that says:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
And change the quoted portion after the equals sign to "quiet splash nomodeset"

It should look like: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
NO SPACES after the =sign.
Then Reboot.

Please update thread with results and if no luck, we cna try rolling back your kernel.

That seems to have solved that problem, but now the screen looks stretched out and stuff like mouse movement feels choppyer. Ideas?

Henboy10

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:51:36 pm

Attached are two screenshots comparing what it looks like before and after I change that file. The one that is 1280 by 800 is the proper resolution

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43:55 pm

Henboy10 wrote:Attached are two screenshots comparing what it looks like before and after I change that file. The one that is 1280 by 800 is the proper resolution

Yes, there are things we can try to configure your system to use the proper res after setting "nomodeset."
However... Let's try something simpler first in case we don't need to patch it with nomodeset.
Instead, edit your grub the same way as above, except, remove the nomodeset. Leave it blank, instead:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
Just like that.
Then report the result of leaving it unset. If that fails, we can try patching nomodeset.

Henboy10

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01:23 pm

It runs through a line of processes before then trying to go to the boot menu and doing the line thing again. But it does fix the resolution problem

Thanks for all the help by the way

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:20:59 pm

Henboy10 wrote:It runs through a line of processes before then trying to go to the boot menu and doing the line thing again. But it does fix the resolution problem

Thanks for all the help by the way

LOL if it's not one, it's the other.
Ok...
Well, using nomodeset, we have established several things: The drivers are being balky and setting them to not run until boot is complete resolves the issue. The drivers are not properly displaying your resolution. So, let's try updating the drivers.
In terminal, can you run:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Can you please say whether you are using intel graphics or AMD Radeon, Nvidia...
Using the "Additional Drivers" (Jockey) app in your app menu, (Prior to checking, click the first tab after the app opens "Zorin Software" and at the near bottom, ensure that you are set to Download from: "Main Server")
Go to the last tab and check for Proprietary Drivers either in use or available.

Or, Pick your poison:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... aver-linux

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/instal ... untu-18-04

Personally, I am in the habit of always installing xserver fresh (intel graphics) after doing any new installation of a distro On any of my machines (they are all intel graphics). It is a habit that has served be well.

Henboy10

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53:53 pm

It looks like there were no other drivers other than for the wifi card. So at this point I'm a little lost as to where to go next. I have attached a screenshot of what I believe to be my graphics. Could you help me out figuring out where I need to download the drivers?

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:03:44 pm

Henboy10 wrote:It looks like there were no other drivers other than for the wifi card. So at this point I'm a little lost as to where to go next. I have attached a screenshot of what I believe to be my graphics. Could you help me out figuring out where I need to download the drivers?

This is IF you need updated drivers.
But I posted a link in the last post:
OR
OR
https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Installation

Should cover the xorg drivers or the ones from AMD

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42:25 am

I'm sorry, I think I may be misunderstanding you. Do you want me to try to install drivers from AMDs website? If so, I'm not seeing my particular drivers available on there. The link provided in that first article for the drivers seem to redirect to a different page.
Otherwise if you think my drivers are fine, what is my next step?

I'm sorry if I'm complicating this, I'm just not used to working with Linux

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:57:51 am

Henboy10 wrote:I'm sorry, I think I may be misunderstanding you. Do you want me to try to install drivers from AMDs website? If so, I'm not seeing my particular drivers available on there. The link provided in that first article for the drivers seem to redirect to a different page.
Otherwise if you think my drivers are fine, what is my next step?

I'm sorry if I'm complicating this, I'm just not used to working with Linux

Since you are not seeing your drivers on the AMD direct page, let's go for xorg:
In a terminal, run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

Watch the terminal for any errors or if it fails. Otherwise, once it successfully completes, leaving your grub configuration as it is, reboot.
Or it may say that is what you have currently installed- Please say so if it does.
Testing.
IF it fails the xorg driver test, then it is fine that you have the xorg drivers installed, we can change that out, later.
Failing this would mean that either you have the lines again- or the wrong resolution again. (Or something new. let's hope not...)

What I am trying to do is First See if changing your Graphics Drivers may help you solve the problem, rather than using a patch in the Grub. setting in Grub is never a solution, only a band-aid.

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:18:58 am

It looks like something went wrong. I have the terminal window attached. I rebooted just to see if something magical happened, but no. Still get the lines.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:44:45 am

Henboy10 wrote:It looks like something went wrong. I have the terminal window attached. I rebooted just to see if something magical happened, but no. Still get the lines.

Ah ok, unmet dependencies, so it is not yet installed.
In terminal let's get the dependencies:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core

Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-video-abi-23

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28:01 am

Unfortunatly now I can't get into the OS. It shows the lines, even after hitting the power button to try and suspend or closing the lid. I plugged in an external monitor and I was able to see my desktop, but the mouse cursor is frozen. Any ideas on how I could get back?

Edit: Here's something odd. I can see at the bottom that the time is changing

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:45:32 am

Henboy10 wrote:Unfortunatly now I can't get into the OS. It shows the lines, even after hitting the power button to try and suspend or closing the lid. I plugged in an external monitor and I was able to see my desktop, but the mouse cursor is frozen. Any ideas on how I could get back?

Edit: Here's something odd. I can see at the bottom that the time is changing

-Facepalm- Well, I am sorry about that...

Yes, hold the left shift key at boot then select boot into recovery
You will get a menu- move down and then Enable Networking, first.
Then go back to the menu.
Go down to the bottom and select Drop to Command prompt.
In the command prompt type in (You may need to write these exactly on paper):
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati

Next enter in:
Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree libgl1-mesa-dri libglx-mesa0 mesa-vulkan-drivers xserver-xorg-video-all

You may also need
Code:
sudo apt-get install xorg-input-all

And reboot. I will wait a bit to see your reply... I do not want to leave you waiting all night.

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:07:20 am

It says that it's unable to locate xorg-input-all or firmware-linux-nonfree

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:14:21 am

Henboy10 wrote:It says that it's unable to locate xorg-input-all or firmware-linux-nonfree

what about the rest, was it able to install them?
If it halted, just remove those so it says:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libglx-mesa0 mesa-vulkan-drivers xserver-xorg-video-all

If that does not work shorten it to
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-all

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:28:57 am

It still seems to be freezing. I tried that first command a second time before you responded, and it prompted me to uninstall some of this other stuff. Should I do that?

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:41:57 am

Henboy10 wrote:It still seems to be freezing. I tried that first command a second time before you responded, and it prompted me to uninstall some of this other stuff. Should I do that?

No, do not.

Since you removed the xserver-xorg-ati, it is considering the packages that are integrated with it no longer needed. But they are still needed,because you need to install your graphics driver.
What happens if you now put in
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-all

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:47:50 am

It says that the latest version is already installed and says that some other packages were installed automatically and no longer required, prompting me to get rid of them if I choose

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:52:07 am

Henboy10 wrote:It says that the latest version is already installed and says that some other packages were installed automatically and no longer required, prompting me to get rid of them if I choose

What happens if you try a normal boot?

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:58:08 am

Aravisian wrote:
Henboy10 wrote:It says that the latest version is already installed and says that some other packages were installed automatically and no longer required, prompting me to get rid of them if I choose

It still freezes. Is it possible that the power button action got changed at some point making it not do the thing where it puts the computer to sleep and then wakes it back up? Maybe it was always freezing, but whatever the power button did fixed it. I'm not sure, I'm just throwing out ideas.

Also, I know tomorrow is Monday, so if you have plans, you can head to bed. I'm still a student, so I can continue for as long as you care to

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00:20 am

Henboy10 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

It still freezes. Is it possible that the power button action got changed at some point making it not do the thing where it puts the computer to sleep and then wakes it back up? Maybe it was always freezing, but whatever the power button did fixed it. I'm not sure, I'm just throwing out ideas.

Also, I know tomorrow is Monday, so if you have plans, you can head to bed. I'm still a student, so I can continue for as long as you care to

No, I think it is likely that the trouble is what we were working on.
Kinda a bummer, really... because my aim is to help others, not mess them up.

You had mentioned that the AMD website lacked the drivers you were looking for. Can you say which drivers those were?

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05:17 am

Nah don't worry about it, it's all good.
I wasn't really sure to be honest. It looks like all Linux drivers were gone. In particular, I was looking for Radeon Xpress 200 drivers; I'm somewhat sure those are the ones that are needed.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:09:23 am

Henboy10 wrote:Nah don't worry about it, it's all good.
I wasn't really sure to be honest. It looks like all Linux drivers were gone. In particular, I was looking for Radeon Xpress 200 drivers; I'm somewhat sure those are the ones that are needed.

Oh, I see.That is a bit old... May explain the trouble. That is no longer supported.

Ok, back in terminal on the problematic machine after holding left shift key, going into recovery mode, first enable networking, then back to the menu, then back to Drop to Command prompt...
enter this
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y fglrx

That is the Open Source driver for the Radeon Xpress 200

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:16:19 am

It says unable to locate package fglrx

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:19:46 am

Henboy10 wrote:It says unable to locate package fglrx

Ok, then it's not in the Ubuntu Repository. I guess I shouldn't be surprised...
Need to add a repository for it, first, then

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dokomix/fglrx-bionic

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:30:17 am

So when I ran that it came back with an error code. I've attached a photo below. Also it does boot now without the lines, but it freezes and the mouse nor any of the keys do anything

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:36:56 am

Henboy10 wrote:So when I ran that it came back with an error code. I've attached a photo below. Also it does boot now without the lines, but it freezes and the mouse nor any of the keys do anything

It gave that error code on
?

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:37:30 am

Yup! That one

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:39:53 am

Henboy10 wrote:Yup! That one

Well, your screen shows xorg as setting up, so try the
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all
again and see if that gets mouse and keyboard working...

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50:26 am

It worked! It returned this (screenshot attached) but after a reboot the mouse and keyboard work fine.

The only problem is that the screen is stretched again and it feels choppy again. But if it has the be that way, I guess that's fine. I'd rather have that than have the lines going down the screen

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:52:11 am

Henboy10 wrote:It worked! It returned this (screenshot attached) but after a reboot the mouse and keyboard work fine.

The only problem is that the screen is stretched again and it feels choppy again. But if it has the be that way, I guess that's fine. I'd rather have that than have the lines going down the screen

Well, let's take a break now- my own mind is frazzled from that fiasco.
I will look for more and better solid information on that issue.

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:55:22 am

Sounds good! Thanks for all your help so far! If you have any ideas later for how to fix the screen resolution, let me know :)

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36:07 am

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en ... ang=en#Res

If you are using the default video GPU and only see the low end of 640x480. It is recommended that you run Xdiagnose and tick all 3 Debug options. This has been known to restore the screen to the upper default 1024x768.

To get resolutions above 1024x768, you must use the xrandr command in Terminal to add a new mode with the new resolution. (This is not kept past a Reboot.)

If you are an experienced Ubuntu user and are looking to keep the changes past a reboot. You can look to add the xrandr newmode and addmode commands into /etc/gdm/Init/Default just before "initctl ..."

It should look similar to the code below:

Code:
xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60_new" 138.54 1280 1368 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1069 -HSynch +V

Code:
xrandr --addmode VGA-0 1280x1024_60_new

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:14:06 pm

I wasn't able to get Dell's instructions to work, but I got this guy's script to work (maybe). It adds the resolution into settings, but when I hit apply in settings nothing happens.
https://gist.github.com/debloper/2793261

So then I tried, what's below and it said "Failed to change the screen configuration"
Code:
xrandr --size 1280x800

So I'm kinda at a loss. Going into settings, it looks like the system wants it to be 76Hz, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to go that high — maybe that could be why the screen is choppy

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:17:14 pm

Henboy10 wrote:I wasn't able to get Dell's instructions to work, but I got this guy's script to work (maybe). It adds the resolution into settings, but when I hit apply in settings nothing happens.
https://gist.github.com/debloper/2793261

So then I tried, what's below and it said "Failed to change the screen configuration"
Code:
xrandr --size 1280x800

So I'm kinda at a loss. Going into settings, it looks like the system wants it to be 76Hz, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to go that high — maybe that could be why the screen is choppy

Yes, refresh rate should be around 60...

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:20:55 pm

76 is the only option that I'm given though. Unless I use that one users script, but then hitting apply doesn't actually do anything

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:33:42 pm

Henboy10 wrote:76 is the only option that I'm given though. Unless I use that one users script, but then hitting apply doesn't actually do anything

Code:
xrandr --output DP-0 --mode 1920x1080 --rate 59.94

does nothing?

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:41:51 pm

I beleive 1280x800 is the correct resolution, but nope. It says, "xrandr: failed to get size of gamma for output default
warning: output DP-0 not found; ignoring"

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:55:08 pm

Henboy10 wrote:I beleive 1280x800 is the correct resolution, but nope. It says, "xrandr: failed to get size of gamma for output default
warning: output DP-0 not found; ignoring"

Ah, but that gave an error we can search
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=202637
https://askubuntu.com/questions/441040/ ... screen-res

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:31:29 pm

So it looks like from those links that the display name is typically VGA-1 or DP1, but instead, mine is "default". So after adding the resolution with the name 'default', it says "failed to change the screen configuration." Someone on one of your links said that if your name is 'default' then it's typically due to something not being configured correctly in the drivers.

So should I try to reinstall the drivers using the command below again?
Code:

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:37:40 pm

Can you terminal
Code:
xrandr -q

and paste output here?

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43:01 pm

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1280 x 800
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 76.00*
1280_800_59.94 59.94

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:08:46 pm

Henboy10 wrote:
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1280 x 800
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 76.00*
1280_800_59.94 59.94

Hmmm...
You can try
Code:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and see if xorg autoconfigures it correctly.

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:14:24 pm

It says, "no such file or directory." I browsed the files manually and that does look to be the case

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:18:17 pm

Henboy10 wrote:It says, "no such file or directory." I browsed the files manually and that does look to be the case

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics
Maybe it is supposed to be /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ...

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:26:43 pm

59.94 is good enough (or rather near enough 60 Hz) not to matter so long as you have a clean image - did you try adding 'xforcevesa' in the boot command of GRUB as I stated in an earlier reply? I can't remember where I have seen it before but there is a command about using vga=vendor whre notebooks are concerned - be right back! ;) :D

Ok try adding the command 'nolapic' to the GRUB line starting Linux:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... a&start=40

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:31:58 pm

Henboy10

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41:16 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Henboy10 wrote:It says, "no such file or directory." I browsed the files manually and that does look to be the case

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics
Maybe it is supposed to be /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ...

It looks like that location doesn't exist either. I noticed your link above says intel graphics, does being on AMD make a difference?

Swarfendor437 wrote:59.94 is good enough (or rather near enough 60 Hz) not to matter so long as you have a clean image - did you try adding 'xforcevesa' in the boot command of GRUB as I stated in an earlier reply? I can't remember where I have seen it before but there is a command about using vga=vendor whre notebooks are concerned - be right back! ;) :D

Ok try adding the command 'nolapic' to the GRUB line starting Linux:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... a&start=40

Where exactly do I add that?

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08:16 pm

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nolapic"
Like that. According to the thread, remove nomodeset and try each of those suggestions one at a time.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nolapic"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nolapic acpi=off"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noapic"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pci=noacpi"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pci=acpi"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_irq_balance"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_irq_nobalance"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="irqpoll"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="apm=off"

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08:23 am

I tried them all, updating grub and rebooting after each, yet none of them seemed to fix the resolution problem. Would you guys happen to have any other tricks up your sleeves that may work?

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:22:55 am

Henboy10 wrote:I tried them all, updating grub and rebooting after each, yet none of them seemed to fix the resolution problem. Would you guys happen to have any other tricks up your sleeves that may work?

Always!
Can you please paste this into a terminal, then post the result, here?
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -E 'VGA|Display'

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:46:29 am

It says,
"01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200] [1002:5975]"

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:55:17 am

Henboy10 wrote:It says,
"01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200] [1002:5975]"

Yeah, that is pretty old. Which we noted above... The flgrx drivers I attempted to have you install earlier may work best- or not at all. Given that is from the range of 2009 or so.
I found a couple guides to install the drivers for that card--- On Ubuntu 8.04
Let's
...cross our fingers...
Reset the grub back to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
Then, before rebooting,
In terminal run the following:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository -r ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa && \
sudo apt update && \
sudo apt upgrade && \
sudo apt autoremove && \
sudo apt autoclean

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

Code:
sudo apt update

Code:
sudo apt install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

This next line is if you are using ZORIN CORE ONLY.
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3 ubuntu-session xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu

If you make it all the way through, reboot and check for lines on screen or low resolution.

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16:52 am

Before I continue to reboot, is this last error on the 4th command okay?

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:49:11 am

Henboy10 wrote:Before I continue to reboot, is this last error on the 4th command okay?

No, it means that it failed to install, the missing abi-23 P.O.S. that hung you up by your toes before.
Well, scratch that.

I have been researching any other solutions while typing this out. I have found comments back to 2007 about the graphics on the Dell Inspiron 1501. Apparently, when it was new it was a pain in the **** back then, too.

For now, reset to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"
You might try ADDING the following line below it
GRUB_GFXMODE="1280x800,auto"

After that, can you post the contents here of
journalctl -p -3
and xorg log

AND LASTLY... doing all this will probably mean you have held broken packages. So:
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Once synaptic is installed, open it from your app menu (then enter pw)
On the lower left, select "Custom Filters"
Then at the upper left, second option down, "Broken"
Right click any packages and select the correction procedure offered (Removal) and then click "Apply on the toolbar above that.

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14:03 am

It looks like those two commands didn't quite work (unless maybe I did it wrong). Also Synaptic seemed to show nothing in the broken section.

Do you think it's likely there is no fix?

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:23:53 am

I am sorry, I was not very clear, there.
The Xorg log is located in /var/log and will be a file that looks like Xorg.(a number, probably 0).log

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bio ... ctl.1.html

If Synaptic found no broken packages left over from attempted installations- That is good. :)

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:31:39 am

Here are the log file contents. I was just gonna attach the log file, but it seems that extension is not supported on this site.

[ 22.046]
X.Org X Server 1.17.3
Release Date: 2015-10-26
[ 22.046] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[ 22.046] Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-137-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
[ 22.046] Current Operating System: Linux tom-Inspiron-1501 5.4.0-42-generic #46~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 10 07:21:24 UTC 2020 x86_64
[ 22.046] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-42-generic root=UUID=dbe5b385-4568-4809-8220-e21661802aa1 ro initrd=/casper/initrd.lz4 nomodeset
[ 22.046] Build Date: 10 October 2018 01:10:12PM
[ 22.046] xorg-server 3:1.17.3-2ubuntu4+dokomix1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
[ 22.046] Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
[ 22.046] Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
[ 22.046] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[ 22.046] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul 27 22:56:19 2020
[ 22.047] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 22.047] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[ 22.047] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[ 22.047] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[ 22.047] (**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[ 22.049] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using a default monitor configuration.
[ 22.049] (==) Automatically adding devices
[ 22.049] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[ 22.049] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[ 22.049] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
[ 22.049] Entry deleted from font path.
[ 22.049] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
[ 22.049] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[ 22.049] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
[ 22.049] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[ 22.049] (==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
built-ins
[ 22.049] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[ 22.049] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[ 22.049] (II) Loader magic: 0x562ac96a0020
[ 22.049] (II) Module ABI versions:
[ 22.049] X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[ 22.049] X.Org Video Driver: 19.0
[ 22.049] X.Org XInput driver : 21.0
[ 22.049] X.Org Server Extension : 9.0
[ 22.052] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID 917 does not belong to any known session
[ 22.058] (--) PCI:*(0:1:5:0) 1002:5975:1028:01f5 rev 0, Mem @ 0xc8000000/134217728, 0xc0100000/65536, I/O @ 0x00009000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[ 22.059] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 22.061] (II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[ 22.066] (II) Module glx: vendor="Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."
[ 22.066] compiled for 6.9.0, module version = 1.0.0
[ 22.066] (==) Matched fglrx as autoconfigured driver 0
[ 22.066] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 1
[ 22.066] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
[ 22.066] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
[ 22.066] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
[ 22.066] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[ 22.066] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
[ 22.067] (II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
[ 22.188] (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - AMD Technologies Inc."
[ 22.188] compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 15.20.3
[ 22.188] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 22.190] (II) Loading sub module "fglrxdrm"
[ 22.190] (II) LoadModule: "fglrxdrm"
[ 22.191] (II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so
[ 22.193] (II) Module fglrxdrm: vendor="FireGL - AMD Technologies Inc."
[ 22.193] compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 15.20.3
[ 22.193] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[ 22.194] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[ 22.195] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.195] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 18.0.1
[ 22.195] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 22.195] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[ 22.283] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[ 22.284] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[ 22.286] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.286] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 18.0.1
[ 22.286] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 22.286] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[ 22.286] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[ 22.286] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[ 22.287] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.287] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 1.17.3
[ 22.287] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 22.287] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[ 22.287] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[ 22.287] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
[ 22.288] (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.288] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 0.4.4
[ 22.288] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 22.288] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[ 22.288] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[ 22.288] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[ 22.288] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.288] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 2.3.4
[ 22.288] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 22.288] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[ 22.289] (II) AMD Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:15.20.3
[ 22.289] (II) AMD Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: UNSUPPORTED-15.201.1151
[ 22.289] (II) AMD Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Sep 8 2015 15:06:35
[ 22.289] (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI/AMD Radeon chipsets:
ATI Radeon Mobility X600 (M24), ATI FireMV 2400,
ATI Radeon Mobility X300 (M24), ATI FireGL M24 GL,
ATI Radeon X600 (RV380), ATI FireGL V3200 (RV380),
ATI Radeon IGP320 (A3), ATI Radeon IGP330/340/350 (A4),
ATI Radeon 9500, ATI Radeon 9600TX, ATI FireGL Z1, ATI Radeon 9800SE,
ATI Radeon 9800, ATI FireGL X2, ATI Radeon 9600, ATI Radeon 9600SE,
ATI Radeon 9600XT, ATI FireGL T2, ATI Radeon 9650, ATI FireGL RV360,
ATI Radeon 7000 IGP (A4+), ATI Radeon 8500 AIW,
ATI Radeon IGP320M (U1), ATI Radeon IGP330M/340M/350M (U2),
ATI Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP, ATI Radeon 9000/PRO, ATI Radeon 9000,
ATI Radeon X800 (R420), ATI Radeon X800PRO (R420),
ATI Radeon X800SE (R420), ATI FireGL X3 (R420),
ATI Radeon Mobility 9800 (M18), ATI Radeon X800 SE (R420),
ATI Radeon X800XT (R420), ATI Radeon X800 VE (R420),
ATI Radeon X850 (R480), ATI Radeon X850 XT (R480),
ATI Radeon X850 SE (R480), ATI Radeon X850 PRO (R480),
ATI Radeon X850 XT PE (R480), ATI Radeon Mobility M7,
ATI Mobility FireGL 7800 M7, ATI Radeon Mobility M6,
ATI FireGL Mobility 9000 (M9), ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9),
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, ATI Radeon 9700/9500Pro, ATI FireGL X1,
ATI Radeon 9800PRO, ATI Radeon 9800XT,
ATI Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11),
ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 (M10), ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 (M11),
ATI FireGL Mobility T2 (M10), ATI FireGL Mobility T2e (M11),
ATI Radeon, ATI FireGL 8700/8800, ATI Radeon 8500, ATI Radeon 9100,
ATI Radeon 7500, ATI Radeon VE/7000, ATI ES1000,
ATI Radeon Mobility X300 (M22), ATI Radeon Mobility X600 SE (M24C),
ATI FireGL M22 GL, ATI Radeon X800 (R423), ATI Radeon X800PRO (R423),
ATI Radeon X800LE (R423), ATI Radeon X800SE (R423),
ATI Radeon X800 XTP (R430), ATI Radeon X800 XL (R430),
ATI Radeon X800 SE (R430), ATI Radeon X800 (R430),
ATI FireGL V7100 (R423), ATI FireGL V5100 (R423),
ATI FireGL unknown (R423), ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 (M26),
ATI Mobility Radeon X700 XL (M26), ATI Mobility Radeon X700 (M26),
ATI Radeon X550XTX, ATI Radeon 9100 IGP (A5),
ATI Radeon Mobility 9100 IGP (U3), ATI Radeon XPRESS 200,
ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M, ATI Radeon 9250, ATI Radeon 9200,
ATI Radeon 9200SE, ATI FireMV 2200, ATI Radeon X300 (RV370),
ATI Radeon X600 (RV370), ATI Radeon X550 (RV370),
ATI FireGL V3100 (RV370), ATI FireMV 2200 PCIE (RV370),
ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 (M9+), ATI Mobility Radeon X800 XT (M28),
ATI Mobility FireGL V5100 (M28), ATI Mobility Radeon X800 (M28),
ATI Radeon X850, ATI unknown Radeon / FireGL (R480),
ATI Radeon X800XT (R423), ATI FireGL V5000 (RV410),
ATI Radeon X700 XT (RV410), ATI Radeon X700 PRO (RV410),
ATI Radeon X700 SE (RV410), ATI Radeon X700 (RV410),
ATI Radeon X1800, ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 XT,
ATI Mobility Radeon X1800, ATI Mobility FireGL V7200,
ATI FireGL V7200, ATI FireGL V5300, ATI Mobility FireGL V7100,
ATI FireGL V7300, ATI FireGL V7350, ATI Radeon X1600, ATI RV505,
ATI Radeon X1300/X1550, ATI Radeon X1550, ATI M54-GL,
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, ATI Radeon X1550 64-bit,
ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, ATI Radeon X1300, ATI FireGL V3300,
ATI FireGL V3350, ATI Mobility Radeon X1450,
ATI Mobility Radeon X2300, ATI Mobility Radeon X1350,
ATI FireMV 2250, ATI Radeon X1650, ATI Mobility FireGL V5200,
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, ATI Radeon X1300 XT/X1600 Pro,
ATI FireGL V3400, ATI Mobility FireGL V5250,
ATI Mobility Radeon X1700, ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 XT,
ATI FireGL V5200, ATI Radeon X2300HD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300,
ATI Radeon X1950, ATI Radeon X1900, ATI AMD Stream Processor,
ATI RV560, ATI Mobility Radeon X1900, ATI Radeon X1950 GT, ATI RV570,
ATI FireGL V7400, ATI Radeon 9100 PRO IGP,
ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 IGP, ATI Radeon X1200, ATI RS740,
ATI RS740M, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro,
ATI Radeon HD 2900 GT, ATI FireGL V8650, ATI FireGL V8600,
ATI FireGL V7600, ATI Radeon 4800 Series, ATI Radeon HD 4870 x2,
ATI Radeon HD 4850 x2, ATI FirePro V8750 (FireGL),
ATI FirePro V7760 (FireGL), ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4850,
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4850 X2, ATI FirePro RV770,
AMD FireStream 9270, AMD FireStream 9250, ATI FirePro V8700 (FireGL),
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4870, ATI Mobility RADEON M98,
ATI FirePro M7750, ATI M98, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650,
ATI Radeon RV730 (AGP), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670,
ATI FirePro M5750, ATI RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670], ATI RADEON E4600,
ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, ATI RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650],
ATI FirePro V7750 (FireGL), ATI FirePro V5700 (FireGL),
ATI FirePro V3750 (FireGL), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850, ATI FirePro M7740, ATI RV740,
ATI Radeon HD 4770, ATI Radeon HD 4700 Series, ATI RV610,
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro,
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO AGP, ATI FireGL V4000, ATI Radeon HD 2350,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400,
ATI RADEON E2400, ATI FireMV 2260, ATI RV670, ATI Radeon HD3870,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3850, ATI Radeon HD3850,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3850 X2, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 X2, ATI Radeon HD3870 X2,
ATI FireGL V7700, ATI Radeon HD3690, AMD Firestream 9170,
ATI Radeon HD 4550, ATI Radeon RV710, ATI Radeon HD 4350,
ATI Mobility Radeon 4300 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon 4500 Series,
ATI FirePro RG220, ATI Mobility Radeon 4330, ATI RV630,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT,
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP,
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, ATI Gemini RV630,
ATI Gemini Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT, ATI FireGL V5600,
ATI FireGL V3600, ATI Radeon HD 2600 LE,
ATI Mobility FireGL Graphics Processor, ATI Radeon HD 3470,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series,
ATI Radeon HD 3450, ATI Radeon HD 3430, ATI FirePro V3700,
ATI FireMV 2450, ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series, ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP,
ATI Radeon HD 3600 PRO, ATI Radeon HD 3600 XT,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670,
ATI Mobility FireGL V5700, ATI Mobility FireGL V5725,
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics,
ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics, ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, SUMO, SUMO2,
ATI Radeon HD 4200, ATI Radeon 4100, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200,
ATI Mobility Radeon 4100, ATI Radeon HD 4290, ATI Radeon HD 4250,
AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics,
AMD Radeon HD 6300 Series Graphics,
AMD Radeon HD 6200 Series Graphics, PALM, CYPRESS,
ATI FirePro (FireGL) Graphics Adapter, AMD Firestream 9370,
AMD Firestream 9350, ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series,
ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series,
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, ATI Radeon HD 6700 Series,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5570,
ATI Radeon HD 5670, ATI Radeon HD 5570, ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series,
REDWOOD, ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics, CEDAR, ATI FirePro 2270,
ATI Radeon HD 5450, CAYMAN, AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series,
AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series, Mobility Radeon HD 6000 Series, BARTS,
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, TURKS, CAICOS,
ARUBA, TAHITI, PITCAIRN, VERDE, OLAND, HAINAN, BONAIRE, KABINI,
MULLINS, KAVERI, HAWAII
[ 22.296] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[ 22.296] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
[ 22.296] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[ 22.296] (++) using VT number 7

[ 22.401] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[ 22.466] (II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default
[ 22.474] ukiDynamicMajor: failed to open /proc/ati/major
[ 22.481] (EE) No supported AMD display adapters were found
[ 22.483] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
[ 22.483] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[ 22.483] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[ 22.483] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[ 22.483] (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
[ 22.483] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
[ 22.483] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
[ 22.484] (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.484] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 0.0.2
[ 22.484] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
[ 22.484] (**) FBDEV(2): claimed PCI slot 1@0:5:0
[ 22.484] (II) FBDEV(2): using default device
[ 22.484] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
[ 22.484] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[ 22.484] (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
[ 22.484] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[ 22.484] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[ 22.484] (II) FBDEV(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[ 22.484] (==) FBDEV(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
[ 22.484] (==) FBDEV(0): RGB weight 888
[ 22.484] (==) FBDEV(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[ 22.484] (==) FBDEV(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[ 22.484] (II) FBDEV(0): hardware: VESA VGA (video memory: 3072kB)
[ 22.484] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against framebuffer device...
[ 22.484] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against monitor...
[ 22.484] (--) FBDEV(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
[ 22.484] (**) FBDEV(0): Built-in mode "current": 78.7 MHz, 59.9 kHz, 75.7 Hz
[ 22.484] (II) FBDEV(0): Modeline "current"x0.0 78.65 1024 1056 1184 1312 768 772 776 792 -hsync -vsync -csync (59.9 kHz b)
[ 22.484] (==) FBDEV(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
[ 22.484] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[ 22.484] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[ 22.486] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[ 22.488] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.490] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 22.490] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 22.490] (**) FBDEV(0): using shadow framebuffer
[ 22.490] (II) Loading sub module "shadow"
[ 22.490] (II) LoadModule: "shadow"
[ 22.491] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
[ 22.491] (II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.491] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 1.1.0
[ 22.491] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 22.491] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
[ 22.491] (II) Unloading fglrx
[ 22.491] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fglrxdrm"
[ 22.491] (II) Unloading fglrxdrm
[ 22.491] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[ 22.491] (II) Unloading vesa
[ 22.491] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[ 22.492] (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
[ 22.495] (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store enabled
[ 22.497] (==) FBDEV(0): DPMS enabled
[ 22.497] (==) RandR enabled
[ 22.504] (II) SELinux: Disabled on system
[ 22.527] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-B20D7FC79C7F597315E3E501AEF10E0D866E8E92.xkm
[ 22.557] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event3)
[ 22.557] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 22.557] (II) LoadModule: "libinput"
[ 22.558] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so
[ 22.566] (II) Module libinput: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 22.566] compiled for 1.17.3, module version = 0.27.1
[ 22.566] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[ 22.566] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 21.0
[ 22.566] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 22.566] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[ 22.566] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
[ 22.566] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.567] (II) event3 - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.567] (II) event3 - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[ 22.567] (II) event3 - Power Button: device removed
[ 22.585] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input3/event3"
[ 22.585] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 6)
[ 22.585] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 22.585] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 22.587] (II) event3 - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.587] (II) event3 - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[ 22.588] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Video Bus (/dev/input/event5)
[ 22.588] (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 22.588] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
[ 22.588] (**) Video Bus: always reports core events
[ 22.588] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
[ 22.588] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.589] (II) event5 - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.589] (II) event5 - Video Bus: device is a keyboard
[ 22.589] (II) event5 - Video Bus: device removed
[ 22.609] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:1e/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input6/event5"
[ 22.609] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
[ 22.609] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 22.609] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 22.611] (II) event5 - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.611] (II) event5 - Video Bus: device is a keyboard
[ 22.612] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event0)
[ 22.612] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 22.612] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
[ 22.612] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[ 22.612] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
[ 22.612] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.613] (II) event0 - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.613] (II) event0 - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[ 22.613] (II) event0 - Power Button: device removed
[ 22.625] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0/event0"
[ 22.625] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 8)
[ 22.625] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 22.625] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 22.627] (II) event0 - Power Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.627] (II) event0 - Power Button: device is a keyboard
[ 22.628] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Lid Switch (/dev/input/event2)
[ 22.628] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[ 22.628] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[ 22.628] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Sleep Button (/dev/input/event1)
[ 22.628] (**) Sleep Button: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 22.628] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
[ 22.628] (**) Sleep Button: always reports core events
[ 22.629] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[ 22.629] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.632] (II) event1 - Sleep Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.633] (II) event1 - Sleep Button: device is a keyboard
[ 22.633] (II) event1 - Sleep Button: device removed
[ 22.649] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input1/event1"
[ 22.649] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Sleep Button" (type: KEYBOARD, id 9)
[ 22.649] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 22.649] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 22.650] (II) event1 - Sleep Button: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.651] (II) event1 - Sleep Button: device is a keyboard
[ 22.652] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse (/dev/input/event6)
[ 22.652] (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Applying InputClass "libinput pointer catchall"
[ 22.652] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse'
[ 22.652] (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: always reports core events
[ 22.652] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
[ 22.652] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.710] (II) event6 - Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[ 22.710] (II) event6 - Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: device is a pointer
[ 22.710] (II) event6 - Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: device removed
[ 22.745] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.2/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/0003:046D:C044.0001/input/input8/event6"
[ 22.745] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse" (type: MOUSE, id 10)
[ 22.746] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[ 22.746] (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[ 22.746] (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[ 22.746] (**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[ 22.806] (II) event6 - Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: is tagged by udev as: Mouse
[ 22.806] (II) event6 - Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: device is a pointer
[ 22.807] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[ 22.807] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[ 22.807] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[ 22.808] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Mic (/dev/input/event9)
[ 22.808] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[ 22.808] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[ 22.808] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Headphone (/dev/input/event10)
[ 22.808] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[ 22.809] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[ 22.810] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Dell WMI hotkeys (/dev/input/event8)
[ 22.810] (**) Dell WMI hotkeys: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 22.810] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Dell WMI hotkeys'
[ 22.810] (**) Dell WMI hotkeys: always reports core events
[ 22.810] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event8"
[ 22.810] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.811] (II) event8 - Dell WMI hotkeys: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.811] (II) event8 - Dell WMI hotkeys: device is a keyboard
[ 22.811] (II) event8 - Dell WMI hotkeys: device removed
[ 22.829] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/PNP0C14:00/wmi_bus/wmi_bus-PNP0C14:00/9DBB5994-A997-11DA-B012-B622A1EF5492/input/input9/event8"
[ 22.829] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Dell WMI hotkeys" (type: KEYBOARD, id 11)
[ 22.829] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 22.829] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 22.831] (II) event8 - Dell WMI hotkeys: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.831] (II) event8 - Dell WMI hotkeys: device is a keyboard
[ 22.832] (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard (/dev/input/event4)
[ 22.832] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 22.832] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[ 22.832] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
[ 22.832] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
[ 22.832] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.833] (II) event4 - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.833] (II) event4 - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device is a keyboard
[ 22.833] (II) event4 - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device removed
[ 22.853] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input4/event4"
[ 22.853] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD, id 12)
[ 22.853] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 22.853] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[ 22.854] (II) event4 - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 22.855] (II) event4 - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device is a keyboard
[ 22.856] (II) config/udev: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad (/dev/input/event7)
[ 22.856] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Applying InputClass "libinput touchpad catchall"
[ 22.856] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
[ 22.856] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: always reports core events
[ 22.856] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event7"
[ 22.856] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[ 22.857] (II) event7 - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: is tagged by udev as: Touchpad
[ 22.857] (II) event7 - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: device is a touchpad
[ 22.857] (II) event7 - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: device removed
[ 22.885] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input7/event7"
[ 22.885] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" (type: TOUCHPAD, id 13)
[ 22.886] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[ 22.886] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[ 22.886] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[ 22.886] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[ 22.887] (II) event7 - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: is tagged by udev as: Touchpad
[ 22.887] (II) event7 - SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: device is a touchpad
[ 22.888] (II) config/udev: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad (/dev/input/mouse1)
[ 22.888] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[ 22.888] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[ 22.900] (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
[ 24.284] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-96C5682799A83C1583D0858F99B66D727552DB83.xkm
[ 31.179] (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument
[ 253.834] (II) Axis 0x1 value 833 is outside expected range [1256, 4600]
See https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinpu ... anges.html for details
[ 1935.187] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce: offset negative (-17ms)
[ 1935.187] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-30ms)
[ 1938.371] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce: offset negative (-1ms)
[ 1938.371] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-14ms)
[ 1943.017] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce: offset negative (-14ms)
[ 1943.017] (EE) client bug: timer event6 debounce short: offset negative (-28ms)

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:42:23 am

4.4.0-137-generic
I wonder if you might be better off with the 4.15.0-75 stable kernel.

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55:43 am

How would I go about updating that? I just went to the Software Updater, and it seems that I can't update any more

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01:30 am

Henboy10 wrote:How would I go about updating that? I just went to the Software Updater, and it seems that I can't update any more

It would be a downdate, actually. But given :Inspiron 1501...
If you wanted to try that, you could use ukuu.
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/uku ... nel-ubuntu
Do not listen to Ukuu telling you to update to the latest kernel- that would be disaster on your computer. Just look for 4.15.0-75 and try that one.
I recommend uninstalling ukuu when finished as it will nag you about "new Kernel available" ever-after.

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:21:23 am

So I'm not entirely sure on how updates work on Linux and Zorin...
So would downgrading remove the possibility of "future security updates" (assuming those are a thing)?

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:24:28 am

Henboy10 wrote:So I'm not entirely sure on how updates work on Linux and Zorin...
So would downgrading remove the possibility of "future security updates" (assuming those are a thing)?

No, not at all.
You can use whatever kernel works best on your machine.
This ain't Microsoft "Weasely Warranty".

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:41:40 am

That's cool! I'm gonna get to sleep now, but I'll definitely check that out in the morning.

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:00:25 pm

So i tried installing Ukuu and it came back with an error saying it's unable to locate the package. So I tried to do it manually from the Github page, and that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:28:19 pm

Henboy10 wrote:So i tried installing Ukuu and it came back with an error saying it's unable to locate the package. So I tried to do it manually from the Github page, and that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Ihad to look this one up. Apparently, recently, even, Tony George moved Ukuu to a Paid Version - now Ukuu 20.
It is defunct in the teejee repo, now. Roll eyes...
I had just done this not long ago, too. Timing.

This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only.

https://teejeetech.in/tag/ukuu/

You can get 18.9 (the older FREE version) Here:
https://github.com/teejee2008/ukuu/releases

Download the .deb file and you can install using the Software Installer.

You know... we have not yet solved your initial problem but you sure are getting Lots of Practice in navigating and using Zorin from all this... :D

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:48:43 pm

Aravisian wrote:You know... we have not yet solved your initial problem but you sure are getting Lots of Practice in navigating and using Zorin from all this... :D

It is great for practice!

Before I hit install, I just want to verify that I have the right one selected. Is this correct?

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16:21 pm

Henboy10 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:You know... we have not yet solved your initial problem but you sure are getting Lots of Practice in navigating and using Zorin from all this... :D

It is great for practice!

Before I hit install, I just want to verify that I have the right one selected. Is this correct?

Sure.
IF it fails- don't panic. Just boot back up in the 4.4 kernel you are running now.

mdiemer

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26:17 pm

I have a question on this, guys. Isn't using an old, unsupported kernel unsafe? Also, will an old kernel work on a a system developed with newer ones in mind?

I'm curious because unless I buy a new video card, I have to use the 4.4 kernel, since it's the last one that allows the Nvidia 304 driver (I had a thread awhile back about why I need this driver for my computer - the open source ones won't work in this case).

fortunately, 4.4 is the first super-long term-supported kernel, so in this case safety is not an issue. But could I use 4.4 with Zorin 15? Or Zorin 12? I'm currently not able to use zorin on my desktop (although my wife is happily using it on her laptop).

not trying to hijack the thread; the info is relevant to the discussion I think.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:31:21 pm

mdiemer wrote:I have a question on this, guys. Isn't using an old, unsupported kernel unsafe? Also, will an old kernel work on a a system developed with newer ones in mind?

I'm curious because unless I buy a new video card, I have to use the 4.4 kernel, since it's the last one that allows the Nvidia 304 driver (I had a thread awhile back about why I need this driver for my computer - the open source ones won't work in this case).

fortunately, 4.4 is the first super-long term-supported kernel, so in this case safety is not an issue. But could I use 4.4 with Zorin 15? Or Zorin 12? I'm currently not able to use zorin on my desktop (although my wife is happily using it on her laptop).

not trying to hijack the thread; the info is relevant to the discussion I think.

Well, Henboy is currently using 4.4 on Zorin 15.
The 4.15.0-75 is supported for Xubuntu and Ubuntu currently, even on 18.04.

Will an old kernel work on a newer system - It really depends... the further back you go, the less likely it will work. And these days, you will have little luck going back further then the above.
You should have no trouble using 4.4 on Zorin 12.4 and it MAY work, more or less, on Zorin 15.2. Can't be definitive on that...

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:49:11 pm

So after going into the advanced startup mode (or whatever its called haha) I got into 4.15. It seems that the screen resolution is still funky even after trying that xandr thing again. Plus my wifi card doesn't work now (although I had to do something special to get that to work when I first installed Zorin)

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:01:56 pm

Henboy10 wrote:So after going into the advanced startup mode (or whatever its called haha) I got into 4.15. It seems that the screen resolution is still funky even after trying that xandr thing again. Plus my wifi card doesn't work now (although I had to do something special to get that to work when I first installed Zorin)

Well, rolling back the kernel did not solve the screen res and you would have to re configure wifi, so I would recommend reverting back to the 4.4 kernel.
I am beginning to run outta ideas, here...

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1187091 ... er-lubuntu

https://ubuntu.forumming.com/question/1 ... untu-18-04

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1477668

This one goes back to the xorg.conf we tried earlier...:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-video ... 0c500.html

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:30:23 pm

If you have any other ideas for options that may work, let me know! Thanks :)

Otherwise I wonder if I should keep things as they are, or revert back? I could either have an extra annoying step at bootup, or I could have a normal boot but the screen will look weird and have a refresh rate that (if I'm not mistaken) is causing it to be choppy and generate a significant amount of heat. Is it trying to overclock the display? Maybe the screen always got hot, though.

This laptop is actually going back to my grandpa at some point, so I'm not sure which option would be best. I put a new SSD in there, so other than the display problems, it actually runs pretty well.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36:07 pm

Henboy10 wrote:If you have any other ideas for options that may work, let me know! Thanks :)

Otherwise I wonder if I should keep things as they are, or revert back? I could either have an extra annoying step at bootup, or I could have a normal boot but the screen will look weird and have a refresh rate that (if I'm not mistaken) is causing it to be choppy and generate a significant amount of heat. Is it trying to overclock the display? Maybe the screen always got hot, though.

This laptop is actually going back to my grandpa at some point, so I'm not sure which option would be best. I put a new SSD in there, so other than the display problems, it actually runs pretty well.

As time allows, if you can scan through the above links - I saw some saying that 'quiet-splash nomodeset' worked and others say that only 'nomodeset' worked. Others say neither did. Many describe your same problem.

Henboy10

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:48:58 pm

It looks as though none of those worked.
For testing purposes, if I wanted to revert back and forth between the original drivers and the ones you had me install, how would I go about doing that?

Aravisian

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:08:33 am

Henboy10 wrote:It looks as though none of those worked.
For testing purposes, if I wanted to revert back and forth between the original drivers and the ones you had me install, how would I go about doing that?

Aside from uninstalling and reinstalling, you cannot.
With Nvidia, you can. But there are other issues with Nvidia, these days.

Pains me to say it, but honestly, your best bet may be to see if you can upgrade the graphics cars in the Inspiron 1501. It doesn't have to be anything very modern, just more robust than the one that is in there. I couldn't tell you what model to look at- you may need to do some research on that... But if you find a higher end graphics card compatible with that notebook, you can ask on here about the drivers.

mdiemer

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10:52 am

Aravisian wrote:
mdiemer wrote:I have a question on this, guys. Isn't using an old, unsupported kernel unsafe? Also, will an old kernel work on a a system developed with newer ones in mind?

Well, Henboy is currently using 4.4 on Zorin 15.
The 4.15.0-75 is supported for Xubuntu and Ubuntu currently, even on 18.04.

Will an old kernel work on a newer system - It really depends... the further back you go, the less likely it will work. And these days, you will have little luck going back further then the above.
You should have no trouble using 4.4 on Zorin 12.4 and it MAY work, more or less, on Zorin 15.2. Can't be definitive on that...

Thanks Aravisian. Another factor, at least in my case, but perhaps it be relevant here also, is Xorg and Xserver, which can also figure into display problems, or so i'm told by mastablasta on the Ubuntu forum.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:28:15 pm

You can't upgrade the chipset:

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops- ... -p/3473998

The only whacky option is this:

https://youtu.be/aM3D3cZmqn0

Henboy10

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00:57 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Henboy10 wrote:It looks as though none of those worked.

Aside from uninstalling and reinstalling, you cannot.
With Nvidia, you can. But there are other issues with Nvidia, these days.

Pains me to say it, but honestly, your best bet may be to see if you can upgrade the graphics cars in the Inspiron 1501. It doesn't have to be anything very modern, just more robust than the one that is in there. I couldn't tell you what model to look at- you may need to do some research on that... But if you find a higher end graphics card compatible with that notebook, you can ask on here about the drivers.

How would I go about uninstalling the drivers you had me install and reinstalling the drivers that were initially on the OS?

Aravisian

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16:04 pm

Henboy10 wrote:How would I go about uninstalling the drivers you had me install and reinstalling the drivers that were initially on the OS?

The installations attempts of flgx failed, so you should be currently running the basic open source drivers.
You can check by using Jockey (Additional Drivers in App Menu) or in terminal with the command
Code:
sudo lshw -c video | grep 'configuration'

In the Additional Drivers Pop up, if you could rollback the drivers, the Revert Button would be functional, otherwise it would be grayed out.

Henboy10

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:24:06 pm

Is it possible that another distro wouldn't have the issues?

Aravisian

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:49:04 pm

Henboy10 wrote:Is it possible that another distro wouldn't have the issues?

It is, but that is a shot in the dark. Generally, most distros would be using the graphics drivers For that card, open source.
It is a bit more complex than just the graphics driver, though. So a different setup may have different results.
Zorin 12 may work better on it. It is currently still supported.
Antix is a very minimal OS, but is non-systemd and may work. https://antixlinux.com/download/

Henboy10

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:05:16 pm

When trying Zorin before actually installing it to the system, everything worked fine. Boot logo and everything. What happens in the installation process that changes how the display works?

Aravisian

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07:49 pm

Henboy10 wrote:When trying Zorin before actually installing it to the system, everything worked fine. Boot logo and everything. What happens in the installation process that changes how the display works?

That is a very good question because on the LiveCD, the /casper boot parameters are usually simply set "quiet splash nomodeset"

Henboy10

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45:38 pm

After installing the fglrx driver thing on Elementary OS, everything works well. It boots up properly and the screen resolution is as it should be. I'm gonna experiment more with Zorin, but if I can't get that to work, my grandpa is gonna have to learn to use a MacOS-like OS.

Maybe I'll see if Zorin core will work

Henboy10

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:34:22 am

Here's something completely unexpected:
After installing Zorin Core, I've found that it boots up perfectly without having to make any changes to the drivers or grub.
The performance isn't as good as Zorin Lite, but I think it'll work fine. I've disabled animations and that transparency effect on the taskbar.

Is there anything else that I can change to improve the performance?

Aravisian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:08:26 am

Henboy10 wrote:Here's something completely unexpected:
After installing Zorin Core, I've found that it boots up perfectly without having to make any changes to the drivers or grub.
The performance isn't as good as Zorin Lite, but I think it'll work fine. I've disabled animations and that transparency effect on the taskbar.

Is there anything else that I can change to improve the performance?

Yes, actually... You can install XFCE4 desktop or Cinnamon Desktop, then remove the ONLY ELEMENTS of Gnome that are not integrated in to the O.S.
While much of the Gnome Desktop will remain on the system, you will still use less resources by running in XFCE4 or Cinnamon.

And Great news-- I am glad to hear you have had success.

Henboy10

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:16:47 am

How would I go about installing either of those two? Also, what exactly would those change on the user experience side?

At the moment, the Gmail website is basically useless on Zorin core, but it actually ran pretty well on Lite

Aravisian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:26:39 am

Henboy10 wrote:How would I go about installing either of those two? Also, what exactly would those change on the user experience side?

At the moment, the Gmail website is basically useless on Zorin core, but it actually ran pretty well on Lite

I cannot vouch for Google Apps... Maybe a user of Google can helpfully chime in.

To install Cinnamon Desktop on Zorin:
Rather than typing out a full walkthrough- I will let this guy do it:

I am using CInnamon on Zorin and it runs like a Champ.

For XFCE:
https://linuxconfig.org/install-xfce-de ... aver-linux

What they would change:
They are both lighter desktop Environments requiring less CPU, RAM and i/o usage.
This will equate to better performance.

Henboy10

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51:14 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Henboy10 wrote:How would I go about installing either of those two? Also, what exactly would those change on the user experience side?

I cannot vouch for Google Apps... Maybe a user of Google can helpfully chime in.

To install Cinnamon Desktop on Zorin:
Rather than typing out a full walkthrough- I will let this guy do it:

I am using CInnamon on Zorin and it runs like a Champ.

For XFCE:
https://linuxconfig.org/install-xfce-de ... aver-linux

What they would change:
They are both lighter desktop Environments requiring less CPU, RAM and i/o usage.
This will equate to better performance.

Have you experienced any problems with updates after installing Cinnamon? Or maybe just general random crashes?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19:35 pm

With any DE you install you should not have issues - you will still get the updates. You might want to give LXQT a shot - works great on core - you just have to choose it by clicking on the cog after installing it and after a re-boot for the changes to be included:

Screenshot_20200731_221900.jpeg

Aravisian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:44:05 pm

Henboy10 wrote:Have you experienced any problems with updates after installing Cinnamon? Or maybe just general random crashes?

Actually, I experienced Far Less problems after installing Cinnamon - but I say this in regards to my machine.
Before cinnamon, I was constantly fixing little issues or looking up solutions to bugs or tweaking or changing something... After Cinnamon, I have done some theming and that is about it. I think I mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I was almost bored with my computer since I have not needed to fix it in so long.
Which is interesting because when I tried using Linux Mint with Cinnamon, it bogged down all the time and quite quickly, too.