This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

**Unable to install GRUB in dev/sda** Zorin OS Lite 15.2

nolejd50

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:53:19 am

Lenovo Ideapad 320 15IAP; Zorin OS Lite 15.2

New to everything regarding linux. Would like dual boot with windows 10 on UEFI (GPT). Fast startup, secure boot, fast boot - all disabled (tried enabling, same problem). Boot mode set to UEFI (already tried Legacy, same problem). Tried manual partitioning, same problem. Tried installing the GRUB bootloader on EFI partition where the Windows Boot Manager is, same problem (P.S. I enlarged the 100mb partition to 2048mb so the size is not a problem, same error). Tried automatic partitioning. Tried having less than 4 primary partitions. I literally tried everything I could find on the internet and could think of myself, nothing helped. Also checked the USB for corruption, no problems there.
Assistance much appreciated.

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:46:35 am

nolejd50 wrote:Lenovo Ideapad 320 15IAP; Zorin OS Lite 15.2

New to everything regarding linux. Would like dual boot with windows 10 on UEFI (GPT). Fast startup, secure boot, fast boot - all disabled (tried enabling, same problem). Boot mode set to UEFI (already tried Legacy, same problem). Tried manual partitioning, same problem. Tried installing the GRUB bootloader on EFI partition where the Windows Boot Manager is, same problem (P.S. I enlarged the 100mb partition to 2048mb so the size is not a problem, same error). Tried automatic partitioning. Tried having less than 4 primary partitions. I literally tried everything I could find on the internet and could think of myself, nothing helped. Also checked the USB for corruption, no problems there.

What error are you receiving?
If that notebook is using SSD, you may need this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 8546be2c82
In order to dual boot alongside of Windows.
Enable AHCI in order to get legacy support.
Follow the guide in the link to change the registry settings to AHCI then reboot and select it in bios. Boot again from your Zorin LiveCD medium and run the installer.
Please post back with your results.

nolejd50

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:11:54 am

Aravisian wrote:
nolejd50 wrote:Lenovo Ideapad 320 15IAP; Zorin OS Lite 15.2

What error are you receiving?
If that notebook is using SSD, you may need this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 8546be2c82
In order to dual boot alongside of Windows.
Enable AHCI in order to get legacy support.
Follow the guide in the link to change the registry settings to AHCI then reboot and select it in bios. Boot again from your Zorin LiveCD medium and run the installer.
Please post back with your results.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, the title of the thread represents the error I'm receiving. So each time I try to install, everything goes smoothly up until the point when GRUB needs to be installed. Then the "unable to install GRUB in dev/sda" message pops up. No SSD here, 1TB HDD, 4GB ram, celeron 3550 2x1.1ghz. I tried legacy and UEFI both anyway, no luck.

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:33:19 am

nolejd50 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Sorry, the title of the thread represents the error I'm receiving. So each time I try to install, everything goes smoothly up until the point when GRUB needs to be installed. Then the "unable to install GRUB in dev/sda" message pops up. No SSD here, 1TB HDD, 4GB ram, celeron 3550 2x1.1ghz. I tried legacy and UEFI both anyway, no luck.

I'd suggest trying enabling AHCI anyway. Lenovo is notorious about tricky installs with Linux.
Also be sure to set your Mount Point as / in the drop down menu when you use the gparted partition manager in the installation.

nolejd50

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:04:46 am

Aravisian wrote:Also be sure to set your Mount Point as / in the drop down menu when you use the gparted partition manager in the installation.

Yep, been there, done that. So I usually make 4 partitions:
1: /boot primary ext4, beginning of space
2: / primary ext4 beginnig of space
3: /home ext4 logical beginning of space
4: swap area end of space

But since I read that GRUB must be in the same partition where the windows boot manager is, I'm installing it there instead of making a dedicated /boot partition.
If I understood you correctly, I have been doing what you said all the time right? Except for the AHCI thing, which I'll try now and get back to you.
EDIT: Did the registry thing, but unfortunately no option to choose SATA/storage mode in the UEFI/BIOS. Nevertheless, in the device manager, under the IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers, a "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" is (the only one) listed. http://prntscr.com/toq9kk

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59:10 pm

nolejd50 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:But since I read that GRUB must be in the same partition where the windows boot manager is, I'm installing it there instead of making a dedicated /boot partition.

This step is unnecessary as the boot will be managed in the MBR, which is the same no matter what O.S. you use. I would try installation alongside, ensuring you have 4 primary partitions total. When you reach the part in the partition manager of choosing your partition to install, just select the Free Space, click the Plus Sign to add, then select your ext4 and your mount point / as normal. The same way you would do when you install just Zorin on a clean machine.
If you install the grub elsewhere, you are separating the grub from your mount point causing it to not be seen.

nolejd50

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:22:44 pm

Aravisian wrote:
nolejd50 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:But since I read that GRUB must be in the same partition where the windows boot manager is, I'm installing it there instead of making a dedicated /boot partition.

This step is unnecessary as the boot will be managed in the MBR, which is the same no matter what O.S. you use. I would try installation alongside, ensuring you have 4 primary partitions total. When you reach the part in the partition manager of choosing your partition to install, just select the Free Space, click the Plus Sign to add, then select your ext4 and your mount point / as normal. The same way you would do when you install just Zorin on a clean machine.
If you install the grub elsewhere, you are separating the grub from your mount point causing it to not be seen.

Since my last reply I have tried all possible combinations and options I could find and think of, including what you wrote here. I ended up screwing up even my windows bootloader when using the boot-repair command in the terminal. So now I don't even have Windows (gonna have to fix its bootloader with Windows mounted on a bootable USB) and I most certainly don't have Zorin. Probably going to give up on this c***, I wasted more than two days trying to fix just one installation error. I presume that it's because of my laptop model, crappy as it is, which is the main reason I wanted to install Zorin on it in the first place.

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53:29 pm

nolejd50 wrote:Since my last reply I have tried all possible combinations and options I could find and think of, including what you wrote here. I ended up screwing up even my windows bootloader when using the boot-repair command in the terminal. So now I don't even have Windows (gonna have to fix its bootloader with Windows mounted on a bootable USB) and I most certainly don't have Zorin.

I certainly understand the frustration. We have all been there...
nolejd50 wrote:Probably going to give up on this c***, I wasted more than two days trying to fix just one installation error. I presume that it's because of my laptop model, crappy as it is, which is the main reason I wanted to install Zorin on it in the first place.

I actually edited out where I said something very similar, but more politely. I think I shortened it to just "Lenovo is notorious." Which, it is. But the specs on the 320 are also... very low.
That said, Zorin LITE running on it would still run well. I would opt away even from Zorin Core on it.
The problem really is Windows. This is not some "I love Linux /hate Windows" attitude or speech, either. It's just the facts.
Windows 10 on that machine is like pulling a trailer with a Geo Metro.
The point is to help you to achieve your goal. But the reality is that one may question the validity of your goal.

If there is one thing i have noticed; it is that when people want to salvage a small notebook from Windows, they Need To pack it in and GO FOR IT. Salvage it from Windows.
Install your preferred Linux Distro - and That is it. Why tease yourself with a dual boot that will usually balk? You certainly won't be doing any high end gaming on that machine... And your posts make it clear that you are no novice.
Many people are firm in their belief that they NEED Windows for some apps and this is often not even true. They are just used to Windows and prefer to not have to re-train on other apps.
But in my experience, most other open source apps are equal to the Windows apps- sometimes better than, even than the ones that are pay-for in Windows.
Sometimes, a needed app really is Windows Only. For that there is Wine4 or Wine5 or even, VirtualBox running instance of a small and lightweight version of Windows.
But if you dual boot, you're going to more than likely boot into Windows because the mindset is there that it is somehow needed.
Perhaps you can repair the boot on Windows, make a back up of what you need to save in the way of files off of it...

Then give Windows the Double One-Finger Salute.

nolejd50

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:42:04 am

Aravisian wrote:I actually edited out where I said something very similar, but more politely. I think I shortened it to just "Lenovo is notorious." Which, it is. But the specs on the 320 are also... very low.
That said, Zorin LITE running on it would still run well. I would opt away even from Zorin Core on it.
The problem really is Windows. This is not some "I love Linux /hate Windows" attitude or speech, either. It's just the facts.
Windows 10 on that machine is like pulling a trailer with a Geo Metro.
The point is to help you to achieve your goal. But the reality is that one may question the validity of your goal.

Oh boy, I can't even begin to explain to you how much I hate this laptop. I didn't even choose it, it was bought for my brother who knows about tech as much as I know about nuclear physics (spoiler alert, I know nothing about nuclear physics) and then he got a new, better one, and I, as a younger sibling, got this c***. Plus, I have the weakest version of Lenovo 320 there is - 4gb ddr3, celeron 3550 2x1.1ghz, some intel apu which obviously sucks. I disabled many of its ms services, startup programmes, uninstalled or disabled any antivirus software, downloaded lasso to free up some ram etc etc. It stills runs like s***.

And yes, I knew that I shouldn't install Zorin Core on it, opting for Lite from the very beginning. And yep, no (high-end) gaming here. This cannot run games newer than 2006, not kidding, therefore, games are not my reason for wanting to have that dual boot. You're right, Windows is really strangling this laptop, it's so slow, sometimes I really want to just smash it. It takes 7-10 minutes to boot, loads stuff very slowly, it's just a pain in the a** to work on, especially with Office, which I often need for my studying.

Aravisian wrote:If there is one thing i have noticed; it is that when people want to salvage a small notebook from Windows, they Need To pack it in and GO FOR IT. Salvage it from Windows.
Install your preferred Linux Distro - and That is it. Why tease yourself with a dual boot that will usually balk? You certainly won't be doing any high end gaming on that machine... And your posts make it clear that you are no novice.
Many people are firm in their belief that they NEED Windows for some apps and this is often not even true. They are just used to Windows and prefer to not have to re-train on other apps.
But in my experience, most other open source apps are equal to the Windows apps- sometimes better than, even than the ones that are pay-for in Windows.
Sometimes, a needed app really is Windows Only. For that there is Wine4 or Wine5 or even, VirtualBox running instance of a small and lightweight version of Windows.
But if you dual boot, you're going to more than likely boot into Windows because the mindset is there that it is somehow needed.
Perhaps you can repair the boot on Windows, make a back up of what you need to save in the way of files off of it...

Then give Windows the Double One-Finger Salute.

And yes, you're completely right about everything you've said here. It's just this odd feeling that I'm maybe someday going to need something from/on my Windows, which I probably won't. I have indeed backed up all my important files, and will think about going linux all the way.

The question is, is this error I'm getting still going to happen, even without Windows/dual boot? I really couldn't stand installing everything windows related all over again if zorin installation fails completely with this stupid error...

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:24:30 am

nolejd50 wrote:Oh boy, I can't even begin to explain to you how much I hate this laptop. I didn't even choose it, it was bought for my brother who knows about tech as much as I know about nuclear physics (spoiler alert, I know nothing about nuclear physics) and then he got a new, better one, and I, as a younger sibling, got this c***. Plus, I have the weakest version of Lenovo 320 there is - 4gb ddr3, celeron 3550 2x1.1ghz, some intel apu which obviously sucks. I disabled many of its ms services, startup programmes, uninstalled or disabled any antivirus software, downloaded lasso to free up some ram etc etc. It stills runs like s***.

This was a fun read!

nolejd50 wrote:especially with Office, which I often need for my studying.

LibreOffice or OpenOffice can do anything MSOffice can.

nolejd50 wrote:And yes, you're completely right about everything you've said here. It's just this odd feeling that I'm maybe someday going to need something from/on my Windows, which I probably won't. I have indeed backed up all my important files, and will think about going linux all the way.

I think you are messing yourself up trying to hold on to Windows.
You already hate that laptop. By your description, it runs slower than snail splooge shot out in Antarctica.
You backed up your files.
What have you got to lose? IF you end up needing some windows app, ther eis VirtualBox or Wine.
nolejd50 wrote:The question is, is this error I'm getting still going to happen, even without Windows/dual boot? I really couldn't stand installing everything windows related all over again if zorin installation fails completely with this stupid error...

I cannot make any guarantees. Earlier, I might have said "Go for it without fear." But after struggling with thet Dell Insprion 1502 in the Installations thread, I am a little shook up.
So, instead, I will repeat: What have you got to lose? I think you have much better odds of getting the installation sorted out without trying to fight Windows for some space.
Ensure Secure boot is off in BIOS.

You might peruse this blog:
https://esc.sh/blog/linux-on-lenovo-miix-320/
I don't know if the rotate screen thing will be necessary...

I read that currently, POP! OS installs on the Lenovo 320 without problems on the first try.
That may give you a launching point that once that is installed, you can then install Zorin alongside- then go in with partition manager, delete the Pop OS partition, expand zorin into that newly freed space, then update your grub and boom.
Sneaky Sneaky.
Mainly because other than that, I avoid POP! OS like it is plague...

nolejd50

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:50:46 am

Aravisian wrote:I cannot make any guarantees. Earlier, I might have said "Go for it without fear." But after struggling with thet Dell Insprion 1502 in the Installations thread, I am a little shook up.
So, instead, I will repeat: What have you got to lose? I think you have much better odds of getting the installation sorted out without trying to fight Windows for some space.
Ensure Secure boot is off in BIOS.

Well, here's the situation. I could not, for the love of god, repair the windows boot manager for some reason. Every cmdp command I tried (and I tried many) led to some kind of error, which led to some kind of solution, which again, led to some kind of error, throwing me in a loop basically. Tried many commands, fixes, bootable usb repair, everything really. Decided to go with Zorin Lite full on. Went for the option erase everything and install Zorin.............

SAME f*** ERROR, ON THE SAME f*** SPOT. God, why are you doing this to me?

I lost Windows with all my programmes on it (easily downloadable - yes, but time consuming), and Zorin errored again. I went 0 steps ahead, but like 8 steps backwards, great. All this work and effort during the last couple of days, just for me to go back to installing fkn windows and programmes again. At this point I really don't have any more strength to tinker with Linux installations any more. Maybe some other distribution would work, but I just cannot get myself to do everything all over again. Maybe in a couple of months. My eyes literally hurt because of how long I've been staring into the LCD.

Nevertheless, thank you for your support. Maybe I'll get in touch again in a couple of months, when I'm ready to try another distribution.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24:33 pm

nolejd50 wrote:I lost Windows with all my programmes on it (easily downloadable - yes, but time consuming), and Zorin errored again. I went 0 steps ahead, but like 8 steps backwards, great. All this work and effort during the last couple of days, just for me to go back to installing fkn windows and programmes again. At this point I really don't have any more strength to tinker with Linux installations any more. Maybe some other distribution would work, but I just cannot get myself to do everything all over again. Maybe in a couple of months. My eyes literally hurt because of how long I've been staring into the LCD.

Nevertheless, thank you for your support. Maybe I'll get in touch again in a couple of months, when I'm ready to try another distribution.

Nolejd50, I feel your pain. Literally...
When I first installed Zorin, it was because my hard Drive went out, taking Windows with it. Zorin, at the time, really was my only choice.
Swarfendor can tell you; It was Two weeks of hell on this forum while I tried everything under the sun to get things working and then struggled to get used to Linux.
I did a lot of complaining and a lot of cussing.
And sometimes - that is how it goes. Usually, things go smoothly. Not always and this is all hardware that was built and programmed with Windows in mind.

I sat through this one with you, so your frustration was as real to me as it was to you. And who knows... Maybe whatever setting is required to make it all work right is simple. Be nice to know what that is...

I hope you get things sorted out. OR who knows, maybe just truck with it until you replace that aerodynamic notebook of yours. I am sorry I couldn't help, but hope at least you got some life lessons in anger management out of it.
I hope we will see you again. As I said, you are clearly no novice and I bet that once you get a distribution working on a machine, you're going to be a real terror in the world of Linux.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34:04 pm