This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ultimate 15.2 "??? ???" Error

Help_Importer

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:37:16 pm

I've been trying to install Zorin OS on my desktop on a separate drive from windows 10. Whenever I try go past the "Updates and other software" bit of the installer it thinks for a bit before outputting a confusing error seen below:
error.jpg

I'm unsure of what the issue here is, as when I tried other distros, namely Solus and openSUSE, they got past the screen and were able to install. I've tried looking this up but I haven't gotten any results that have worked for me.

I'm installing from a USB which has the iso on it, and I'm able to go into live and use Zorin just fine. Verifying the files yielded nothing wrong. Internet access is ok (done through TP-LINK).
If any other information is needed please feel free to ask and I'll try give it to you.

Aravisian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:17:59 am

Help_Importer wrote:I've been trying to install Zorin OS on my desktop on a separate drive from windows 10. Whenever I try go past the "Updates and other software" bit of the installer it thinks for a bit before outputting a confusing error seen below:
error.jpg

I'm unsure of what the issue here is, as when I tried other distros, namely Solus and openSUSE, they got past the screen and were able to install. I've tried looking this up but I haven't gotten any results that have worked for me.

I'm installing from a USB which has the iso on it, and I'm able to go into live and use Zorin just fine. Verifying the files yielded nothing wrong. Internet access is ok (done through TP-LINK).
If any other information is needed please feel free to ask and I'll try give it to you.

That is the most confusing error I have ever seen.

How do you look up the error of:
"???"

Maybe the Zorin Team is needed to look at this one...

EDIT: I sent a message to the developer, but in the meantime, we will try to keep searching. OR maybe someone else has seen that before and knows what it means.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12:23 pm

Did you verify the md5 sum or sha hash key of the downloaded .iso before using? ;) :D

Help_Importer

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34:58 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Did you verify the md5 sum or sha hash key of the downloaded .iso before using? ;) :D

No, but the media verification tool didn't encounter any errors. Using Kubuntu yields the same result, but using Solus or openSUSE doesn't. Safe to say this is an error with ubuntu-based distros.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:57:55 am

Help_Importer wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Did you verify the md5 sum or sha hash key of the downloaded .iso before using? ;) :D

No, but the media verification tool didn't encounter any errors. Using Kubuntu yields the same result, but using Solus or openSUSE doesn't. Safe to say this is an error with ubuntu-based distros.

Do you have RAID enabled? :D

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=156430

Help_Importer

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:37:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Do you have RAID enabled? :D

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=156430

No, my drives are set to use AHCI, not RAID.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:16:09 pm

AZorin

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:14:22 am

In order to fix this issue, please try disabling the Windows Secure Boot and Fast Boot options from your computer's BIOS by following these steps:
1. Immediately upon start-up, press the indicated key repeatedly to open the BIOS settings. If you are unsure about which key to press, it is usually either Esc, Delete, F12 or another function key.
2. From the BIOS settings, please navigate to the "Boot" section and make sure that the "Fast Boot" and the Windows "Secure Boot" options are disabled.
3. Press the indicated key to Save the settings and exit the BIOS settings screen.

After rebooting you should be able to install Zorin OS normally.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25:36 pm

Just to add the BIOS might state "Windows Boot Manager" - this needs to be further down the boot chain in BIOS. ;) :D