This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Laptop keeps shutting off...

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:14:15 am

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410
Zorin OS version: 15.2 Core

Laptop has been unused gathering dust in a corner of the house for 2.5 years or so. Still works if plugged in, so I tried to replace the preinstalled Windows 10 with Zorin to see if it'd lag less.

All is well with the usb boot drive creation, and when I plug it to my laptop and enter Legacy Boot, I can access the initial Zorin screen where it asks to Try or Install and whatnot. But when I do try to install it, the laptop shuts off as soon as the Zorin logo flashes on screen, then restarts. Suddenly I get booted into Windows again. I try over and over, using different selected install options (I think I tried them all by now), moving the flash drive through the different usb ports, and nothing. The laptop just refuses to want to install Zorin or something. I don't know if there's any extra steps I need to do with this specific model laptop or anything so I come here for help, as I really wanna use it again as maybe a secondary work device. This is my first dive into Linux, so I'm also pretty new. Would love any guidance.

Thank you.

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31:21 am

azLobster wrote:Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410

Laptop has been unused gathering dust in a corner of the house for 2.5 years or so. Still works if plugged in, so I tried to replace the preinstalled Windows 10 with Zorin to see if it'd lag less.

All is well with the usb boot drive creation, and when I plug it to my laptop and enter Legacy Boot, I can access the initial Zorin screen where it asks to Try or Install and whatnot. But when I do try to install it, the laptop shuts off as soon as the Zorin logo flashes on screen, then restarts. Suddenly I get booted into Windows again. I try over and over, using different selected install options (I think I tried them all by now), moving the flash drive through the different usb ports, and nothing. The laptop just refuses to want to install Zorin or something. I don't know if there's any extra steps I need to do with this specific model laptop or anything so I come here for help, as I really wanna use it again as maybe a secondary work device. This is my first dive into Linux, so I'm also pretty new. Would love any guidance.

Thank you.

Interesting as the specs on that machine are not rated for Win10.
You might try entering into Recovery Mode:
Hold the left shift key while booting Zorin up. Once you see the menu, select Recovery. Then in the Recovery menu, tab down to the bottom and Select drop to prompt.
In the prompt, enter in
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

"sudo" is for "SuperUserDO" as in 'do this." nano is a terminal text editor. The rest is the path to the file you want to open and edit.

Tab down to the line in the terminal text editor that looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
And add quiet splash nomodest so it looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
Just as you see it, with the caps, lack of spaces and the quotation marks as above.
Hit ctrl+x to exit, then hit the y key to select yes, then hit the enter key to save as the existing file name.

Try booting into Zorin again. The above sets it so that the graphics drivers do not load right away, allowing the default O.S. more time to load, then to apply the graphics drivers appropriately.

You may also peruse this page. It looks like it wants to scare the reader, to me,. ;)
https://www.dell.com/support/article/en ... dell-pc?la

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:05:01 am

Aravisian wrote:
azLobster wrote:Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410

Thank you.

Interesting as the specs on that machine are not rated for Win10.
You might try entering into Recovery Mode:
Hold the left shift key while booting Zorin up. Once you see the menu, select Recovery. Then in the Recovery menu, tab down to the bottom and Select drop to prompt.
In the prompt, enter in
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

"sudo" is for "SuperUserDO" as in 'do this." nano is a terminal text editor. The rest is the path to the file you want to open and edit.

Tab down to the line in the terminal text editor that looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
And add quiet splash nomodest so it looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
Just as you see it, with the caps, lack of spaces and the quotation marks as above.
Hit ctrl+x to exit, then hit the y key to select yes, then hit the enter key to save as the existing file name.

Try booting into Zorin again. The above sets it so that the graphics drivers do not load right away, allowing the default O.S. more time to load, then to apply the graphics drivers appropriately.

You may also peruse this page. It looks like it wants to scare the reader, to me,. ;)
https://www.dell.com/support/article/en ... dell-pc?la

For sure it came with Windows 7 then got upgraded down the line. This is a pretty old laptop that my aunt used back in the day.

Also, when you say "booting Zorin up" do you mean before I reach the initial install menu screen, or after I press the Try or Install Zorin button?

I read the article too, yeah it was sorta fear-mongering haha. They mentioned something about the Legacy Boot vs UEFI BIOS configuration that got me sort of confused. Did any of that matter? Eheh.

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:17:53 am

azLobster wrote:Also, when you say "booting Zorin up" do you mean before I reach the initial install menu screen, or after I press the Try or Install Zorin button?

AHHHhhh... Failure to read on my part. I thought you had installed Zorin, but after installation, it was not booting up.
I am sorry.
Instead, boot into the LiveCD (Try Zorin) and open a terminal.
In the terminal, enter in
Code:
sudo apt update

Code:
sudo apt install ubiquity

Ubiquity is the installer software. It may be that for your machine, the installer needs to be updated to work properly. After that is complete and shows successful, then open and run the Installer while in the Try Zorin mode.

azLobster wrote:They mentioned something about the Legacy Boot vs UEFI BIOS configuration that got me sort of confused. Did any of that matter? Eheh.

Yes, for that notebook, would recommend trying Legacy before trying EUFI.

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:39:28 am

Aravisian wrote:Instead, boot into the LiveCD (Try Zorin) and open a terminal.

Would this be possible to do if the computer just keeps restarting before I can even do anything? After I press Install or Try Zorin on the boot menu, the whole thing either just shuts off straight away, or reaches the Zorin logo for a bit, hangs, then restarts. I can't seem to boot into anything. I was wondering if it had something to do with storage space or Windows 10 being in the machine?

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41:46 am

azLobster wrote:

Would this be possible to do if the computer just keeps restarting before I can even do anything? After I press Install or Try Zorin on the boot menu, the whole thing either just shuts off straight away, or reaches the Zorin logo for a bit, hangs, then restarts. I can't seem to boot into anything. I was wondering if it had something to do with storage space or Windows 10 being in the machine?

I see. Yes, it could.
Did you disable "Fast boot" and "Secure boot?"
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1031533/

Not sure if Secure boot will apply to you; if it does, it may raise an interesting question about using EUFI on your install
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ecure-boot

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55:48 am

Aravisian wrote:
azLobster wrote:

I see. Yes, it could.
Did you disable "Fast boot" and "Secure boot?"
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1031533/

Not sure if Secure boot will apply to you; if it does, it may raise an interesting question about using EUFI on your install
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ecure-boot

Ah this is new stuff to me. Thank you, I'll see if I can disable these later when I get back home and update then.

By the way I just want to commend how fast the community help was in this forum. This is super new to me. I'm more eager than ever to get Zorin on my system.

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:00:58 am

azLobster wrote:
Ah this is new stuff to me. Thank you, I'll see if I can disable these later when I get back home and update then.

By the way I just want to commend how fast the community help was in this forum. This is super new to me. I'm more eager than ever to get Zorin on my system.

Fast, yes.... Too bad that I was completely brain dead through most of it.
I blame multi-tasking.
I should have suggested the Fast Boot be disabled in my first post. Ah well...
The fast boot on Win10 locks the hard drive to prevent changes.

Please note that this forum is also in the middle of a Move to :
https://forum.zorin.com
This forum will continue to accept new posts until 17 Sept. After that, all posts will be archived.

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:08:19 am

Aravisian wrote:Fast, yes.... Too bad that I was completely brain dead through most of it.
I blame multi-tasking.
I should have suggested the Fast Boot be disabled in my first post. Ah well...
The fast boot on Win10 locks the hard drive to prevent changes.

Please note that this forum is also in the middle of a Move to :
This forum will continue to accept new posts until 17 Sept. After that, all posts will be archived.

So much better than being ignored tbh. You're a good guy. You have my respect.

Also quick question, does my account here transfer over to the new forums seamlessly? Or should I make a new one there?

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:12:10 am

azLobster wrote:So much better than being ignored tbh. You're a good guy. You have my respect.

Also quick question, does my account here transfer over to the new forums seamlessly? Or should I make a new one there?

No, you would need to register an account there. The new forum is setup on Discourse whereas this one is phpbb.

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:30:15 am

Aravisian wrote:No, you would need to register an account there. The new forum is setup on Discourse whereas this one is phpbb.

Noted. However there doesn't seem to be a register button that I can find. Only Log-in.

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:32:20 am

azLobster wrote:
Aravisian wrote:No, you would need to register an account there. The new forum is setup on Discourse whereas this one is phpbb.

Noted. However there doesn't seem to be a register button that I can find. Only Log-in.

Hmm, today was supposed to be the official launch day. Maybe there is a delay, like the Post Office has been lately...
I'd suggest bookmarking it for now.

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:50:50 am

Aravisian wrote:Hmm, today was supposed to be the official launch day. Maybe there is a delay, like the Post Office has been lately...
I'd suggest bookmarking it for now.

I see. It's living on my toolbar for the time being. I'll be checking back in a couple days I guess.

zabadabadoo

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:41:07 am

Aravisian wrote:Please note that this forum is also in the middle of a Move to :

I can confirm there is no way to Register for the new Forum, only ability to Login.
I assume in good time the new forum will be announced in the um... "Announcements" part of this forum, not just in the odd forum thread or advertised by way of your signature :)

azLobster

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:45:10 am

Ok so an update with my laptop. I feel like it's just f*cked completely. I tried booting into windows to disable fast boot, but it blue screens. When Windows tries to diagnose the problem, the laptop shuts off AGAIN. I don't think I'll ever be able to get into any OS at this point guys, it's just too much hassle for me.

I might just go and sell this for scraps or something and get a newer used laptop. One that actually works. Thanks for all y'alls help.

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:41:25 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Please note that this forum is also in the middle of a Move to :

I can confirm there is no way to Register for the new Forum, only ability to Login.
I assume in good time the new forum will be announced in the um... "Announcements" part of this forum, not just in the odd forum thread or advertised by way of your signature :)

It Has been announced in Forum Announcements. (Correction... Zorink mentioned it in a thread in "Feedback.) However, using the Sig Line and reminding users in newly started threads is a good way to ensure that others know about it since it is New and may not appear on a 'Google Search'. A transition takes time.
This Forum will be archived in the near future and will no longer accept new submissions. So, it is very important that others know where to find the new help forum in the time we have.
azLobster wrote:Ok so an update with my laptop. I feel like it's just f*cked completely. I tried booting into windows to disable fast boot, but it blue screens. When Windows tries to diagnose the problem, the laptop shuts off AGAIN. I don't think I'll ever be able to get into any OS at this point guys, it's just too much hassle for me.

I might just go and sell this for scraps or something and get a newer used laptop. One that actually works. Thanks for all y'alls help.

Looking into this, there would be multiple troubleshooting steps required.
I certainly feel your frustration... I think we can all relate to it, actually.
You may go all "Office space Printer" on it, or just set it back on the shelf and let it sit for a while. If the mood strikes to try again, we'll be here. Or... Somewhere. One of two places...