This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Packages not found...

guitard00d

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:24:21 am

Test driving Zorin OS to see if it's a viable option to Linux Mint. So far, I have to say yes (according to the free version). Problem is, there are certain standard Ubuntu packages that I use regularly that I can't find in Synaptic in Zorin OS. Are these only available in the paid versions? Namely, Midnight Commander and NMAP. I'm sure there will be others that I depend on that I'm not going to find. I'm just wondering if these are available in Ultimate or not. So far, I see a very viable alternative to Mint, but there are some "geek" tools that I need on a daily basis, and I really don't want to have to dual boot with another Linux distro or run one in a VM just to do what I need to do.

guitard00d

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:39:04 pm

Oddly enough, I found them by searching for them in the Software Center, no idea why they didn't appear in Synaptic.

On another note, why does the Software Center appear two times in a row in the Control Center? I'll have to hunt around and see if I can figure out where the configuration file is for the control center and get rid of one of them.

So far, this is looking like a very viable alternative to Linux Mint and something that I'll have much better luck getting my frustrated Windows customers to switch over to. Very curious to see what the actual differences are between this free version and Zorin OS Ultimate, but so far, I can't seem to find any kind of a comparison table.