This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Before I install...

geoffm

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:53:51 am

I need to know to which point it recreates ALL of Windows 7's features.
Can you pin apps to the taskbar?
When you right click on an app in the task bar does it display recently opened apps?
Can you move windows around using Mod4+Arrows?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39:47 am

Hi,

just how many Windows 7 features are you looking for??, it has several features but it is not a replacement for W7.

You can add apps to the taskbar, if you want to show recent activity, you can use the clipboard on the taskbar.

If you open the control center, you can set/make your own keyboard functions using the keyboard manager, set shortcut keys etc....

Regards Wolfman :D

geoffm

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:21:06 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I am curious to know what is Mod4? To add an icon from the desktop just drag it down to the panel and it is 'pinned' to the panel. Hover your mouse over an application icon in the taskbar and all open windows are previewed, just like 7. Using 'Super' key plus left and right arrows moves the active open application to the right or left - just like 7. That is the primary similarities that I have picked up on.

Mod4=Super=meta="Windows button" just different names

Appart from left/right, Super+Shift+Up maximizes vertically, Super+Up maximizes, Super+Down minimizes or restores if maximized; doing Super+Left/Right twice will move window to a next monitor if there's one, and Super+Shift+Left/Right moves window to next monitor, preserving state.

Using KDE I could easily recreate most of those bindings on my Arch/KDE installation. I'm not sure I understand which DE is used in Zorin but Distrowatch says it's gnome-based. Since I couldn't easily configure Gnome for the keyboard shortcuts I need, I'm concerned that Zorin might not either.

Also being able to access pinned apps' recently opened files is very important to me. Your answers haven't been clear wether this exists in Zorin.

Thanks!