This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installer Crashed in Zorin OS 5 at MSI FX400 i3

neojohan

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:25:24 am

I'm experiencing Installer Crashed while installing Zorin OS 5 at my MSI FX400 i3 laptop.

Image:

File:
http://www.4shared.com/file/CMwpvzhe/partman.html

Wolfman

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09:33 pm

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest speed, if you did not; you could well have a corrupted install, try restarting and go into recovery mode then select "dpkg" from the list, let us know what happens!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39:33 pm

@Wolfman. The OS has not been installed at all, so there is no way for him to run the dpkg.

@Neojohan. I suspect that you have tried to install Zorin after booting to live CD desktop and then double clicking in the "install zorin" icon.

Try the other approach, i.e. boot the Zorin DVD and in the first boot menu select "start the installer directly". (I think it is the 3rd choise).

99% you will not face again an installer crashing problem.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:23:38 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest speed, if you did not; you could well have a corrupted install, try restarting and go into recovery mode then select "dpkg" from the list, let us know what happens!!.

Hi MV,

thanks for pointing that out; I didn't even notice that part!!.

To recap, make sure that the disk you burned was burnt at the slowest speed!!.

If MV's option doesn't work for you, boot the disk in safe graphics mode and try that!!.

AceKing 721

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:50:12 pm

I am having the same problem with the installer crashing. At first I thought it was the CD. I tried it installing it from a USB drive and I'm getting the same error. I tried both 64 and 32 bit versions with the same results. I also tried to run in "safe graphics mode" with same results.
I am trying to install on my Toshiba Satellite C665-S5123 laptop.
Here is my laptops stats:
Processor: 2.3GHz Intel Celeron 925 (3MB L2 Cache)
Display: 15.6-inch TrueBrite TFT LCD Display (res:1366 x 768)
250GB SATA Hard Drive (at 5400RPM)
Connectivity: Etherner 10/100; 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Intel GMA 4500M (128MB-829MB) Graphics
I/O Ports: 2x USB 2.0; 1 RGB; 1x RJ -45 Ethernet; 1x Headphone-out; 1x Microphone-in

Since the failed install, GRUB will not boot, so I can't even get into Windows 7. I get an "error: file not found" message and it sits at a grub rescue> prompt.
Any help would be appreciated

AceKing 721

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:20:41 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
AceKing 721 wrote:I am having the same problem with the installer crashing. At first I thought it was the CD. I tried it installing it from a USB drive and I'm getting the same error. I tried both 64 and 32 bit versions with the same results. I also tried to run in "safe graphics mode" with same results.
I am trying to install on my Toshiba Satellite C665-S5123 laptop.
Here is my laptops stats:
Processor: 2.3GHz Intel Celeron 925 (3MB L2 Cache)
Display: 15.6-inch TrueBrite TFT LCD Display (res:1366 x 768)
250GB SATA Hard Drive (at 5400RPM)
Connectivity: Etherner 10/100; 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Intel GMA 4500M (128MB-829MB) Graphics
I/O Ports: 2x USB 2.0; 1 RGB; 1x RJ -45 Ethernet; 1x Headphone-out; 1x Microphone-in

Since the failed install, GRUB will not boot, so I can't even get into Windows 7. I get an "error: file not found" message and it sits at a grub rescue> prompt.
Any help would be appreciated

Hi AceKing 721, welcome to the forums - sorry to hear you are having a rough time of things. Firstly, did you create your recovery DVDs for your Toshiba laptop? (I know they don't tend to come with recovery media any more - you have to create your own. The other issue is (and I have only got 7 Starter on a netbook so cannot comment on Laptops) does your version of 7 give you the option of creating a repair disc? It does on my desktop and this should be created as soon as you get back to a working Windows desktop. If possible (because you are posting I assume you have another machine to access) download UltimateBoot CD - I have found this to be useful when I could not get rid of grub.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Bac ... t-CD.shtml

I have used this to get past the GRUB issue to boot into Windows - if you have any valuable data on their I advise you back up once you get in their - you may need external DVD writer or external hard drive to do so as the Ultimate Boot CD obviously needs to boot from your onboard Optical drive - hope this helps.

Hey swarfendor437,
Thanks for the speedy reply!
I'm not really concerened about the Windows install, since I never really use it. I do have everthing backed up from my old Linux install. I had Linux Mint installed prior to the failed install of Zorin. I just wanted to try it out to see what it was like. It is driving me nuts why I can't get it to install. I don't have a problem installing Ubuntu 11.10, or Mint 12.
I know I can boot into "LiveCD" to get my grub menu back. I just added the info because I thougt it may have been helpful in some way.
I'd really like to get this installed so I can play around with it. It looks promising for people that are trying to get away from Windows.

neojohan

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:47:19 pm

I KNOW THE CULPRIT!
Checked - encrypt folder

But still my laptop MSI FX400 hard disk is dying. It keeps boot error after 3-4 days of reformat with any OS.

antennaman

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:38:55 pm

Hi, I am having the same problem. I am trying to install Zorin 5.2 Ultimate as a dual-boot OS with a system already running Windows 7 Ultimate.
Hardware is:
Thinkpad t60p
Core2Duo 2.1Ghz
ATI Mobility FireGL V5250 256MB
750GB WD 7200rpm
4GB Ram
Intel 3945ABG wireless
1680x1050 LCD

The live CD runs fine. I have tried installing from the 5.2 Core ISO as well as the premium Ultimate ISO. Same results each time. I was careful on my downloads of the ISO's and did checksum tests before burning the disc. I burned at 8x and used the 'verify' option as well.

Here is what my syslog states:
Error: Could not find the path /mnt/migrationassistant/WINDOWS/system32/config/software
Error: Could not find the path /mnt/migrationassistant/WINNT/system32/config/software
Fatal: Could not find the SOFTWARE registry hive at /mnt/migrationassistant/WINNT/system32/config/software.

I also tried running ubiquity from a terminal using the --no-migration-assistant option. Same error.

I am out of ideas...

antennaman

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:52:17 pm

OK, I defragged and did the loooonnnnnggg version of Chkdsk and followed your instructions to the T and still ended up in the same situation. The installer crashed as it was creating the user. (It looked identical to the screen capture in the beginning of this post.)
I was sure looking forward to having Zorin along side W7. (This is the first time I have PAID for a Linux OS and now it won't install)
More help?

Wolfman

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:49:59 am

neojohan wrote:I KNOW THE CULPRIT!
Checked - encrypt folder

But still my laptop MSI FX400 hard disk is dying. It keeps boot error after 3-4 days of reformat with any OS.

Hi,

in this case I would suggest a new hard drive as it is causing porblems with any OS.

I have already pointed this out; but will do so again, it is VERY IMPORTANT to burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed, I cannot stress this enough!!.

The installer has been known to fail and I also suggest that you re-download the ISO from a different location (mirror) and try again!!.

Wolfman

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:51:17 am

antennaman wrote:OK, I defragged and did the loooonnnnnggg version of Chkdsk and followed your instructions to the T and still ended up in the same situation. The installer crashed as it was creating the user. (It looked identical to the screen capture in the beginning of this post.)
I was sure looking forward to having Zorin along side W7. (This is the first time I have PAID for a Linux OS and now it won't install)
More help?

Hi,

please see the previous post!!.

antennaman

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:02:26 pm

This was a download. I did a checksum on the download and burned a 8x, which has always worked ( I even loaded Firefox to get the download) I think there is more to my problem than file integrity...

Wolfman

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:38:31 am

antennaman wrote:This was a download. I did a checksum on the download and burned a 8x, which has always worked ( I even loaded Firefox to get the download) I think there is more to my problem than file integrity...

Hi,

is 8X the slowest speed your disks/burner run at??, can you go lower like 2X??.