This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

installing zorin-os 5.2 core problems

jamesmcgee1205

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:31:08 pm

system emachine 2800 amd athlon processor, 160gb, nvidia geforce4mxgraphics, 512 mb ddr sdram

Well i get the os to install and reboot. when my computer reboots and i log in everything to that point is readable on the computer screen. after loggin in i am unable to read anything on the screen its just scrambled. i can see the desktop and folders on the desktop i just can not make anything out. i am hoping this is a device driver problem with my video card. i am not sure how to update my video card driver without being able to read the screen. any ideas????

madvinegar

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09:53 am

Is your system updated? Have you enabled any recomended driver from additional drivers?

First of all reboot, chose recovery mode and run "dpkg" to fix broken packages, if any.

Then plug an ethernet cable to get internet connection and either reboot and again enter in recovery mode and chose "netroot" or next time you log in and you get to the scrambled desktop do the following:

press Ctrl+Alt+F2

A black screen will appear. Write your user name and password to log in.

Then run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Then reboot again and in the grub menu chose again recovery mode and "run in failsafe graphics mode".
Most probably you can see your desktop now, go to system>administration>additional drivers and hopefully there will be a recomended graphics driver for you to enable.

jamesmcgee1205

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:02:23 pm

Well I have successfully updated my drivers and system. i activated the nvidia driver and rebooted and still got the scrambled screen. i go thru the reboot process again and reboot into graphics mode. i go to the additional drivers and i get the message that my driver is enabled but the message reads that i have no proprietary drivers installed on this device. 3d support for nvidia cards.. i have noticed a few topics on nvidia cards will take a look to see if anything in those will help.

Wolfman

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41:43 pm

Hi,

If you managed to run "dpkg", you shouldn't have to run those commands!!.

When you burnt the disk, did you do so at the slowest possible speed, if not, do so again at min speed!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jamesmcgee1205

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49:06 pm

well the computer i downloaded it from can not run firefox. son downloaded a game and screwed firefox up on that laptop...... so i have to use chrome or ie.... that may be my issue.. i will try to burn the disc again with imageburn on slowest speed to see if that is the problem.

jamesmcgee1205

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:27:30 pm

well my checksum matched and i burned at the slowest speed. i am still getting the scrambled screen but its not as bad as it was the first time.. however its still impossible to navigate. not sure what is going on.. the system is updated and my video card is updated and enabled.. A little more about this system. Family member gave me this computer since it was infected with a trojan. well i didn't have the original os so i figured i would try out this os. read good stuff and would love to get away from windows. i do know that video card was functioning fine before installing zorin.

jamesmcgee1205

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:03:39 pm

Video card is fine. reinstalled windows xp that i have sitting around. can update the graphics driver and runs fine. will try zorin on another computer at this point... not sure why the emachine is having the problem

jamesmcgee1205

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:24:29 pm

Looks as if 3.2 is going to do the trick. Updating now.. so far so good.

jamesmcgee1205

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35:18 pm

Well it works. now i just need to figure out everything............lol.. networking/ adding network printer and firewall.. are virus programs needed. yikes :shock:

jamesmcgee1205

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10:03 pm

i am using wireless for the zorin os computer

jamesmcgee1205

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:39:05 pm

I would like to use the zorin computer as a backup....so have the aorin computers hardrive's shared on the network and would like to be able to add the printer that is shared on the network.

Swayy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:31:29 pm

Wait... earlier you said you have 512 MB DDR RAM, so couldn't you try upgrading RAM first?

diederic

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:07:47 am

Hi
I downloaded Zorin 5.2-core-iso and burt onto DVD using k3b. I used the DVD for a live install on an iMac running linuxMint and Mac OS. Live install went well,
Then I downloaded Unetbin on a XPwindows laptop and used that to install Zorin on the labtop. Everything seemed to be going fine until file #9 (of 21): then everything just hummed along, but no other files were installed.

Was I too impatient?
Thanks,
Diederic

Wolfman

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:29:51 am

diederic wrote:Hi
I downloaded Zorin 5.2-core-iso and burt onto DVD using k3b. I used the DVD for a live install on an iMac running linuxMint and Mac OS. Live install went well,
Then I downloaded Unetbin on a XPwindows laptop and used that to install Zorin on the labtop. Everything seemed to be going fine until file #9 (of 21): then everything just hummed along, but no other files were installed.

Was I too impatient?
Thanks,
Diederic

Hi,

sounds like it crashed as it was updataing!!??, try re-installing but don't select update whilst installing and if you are successful, as soon as you restart the PC, go into recovery mode and run "dpkg", this will update thee system fully!. You need a working network cable connection as it won't work with WifI.

Please start your own thread and copy and paste your original question in it if you still have problems as you may well hijack this thread!!.

comsparks

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:08:50 pm

I downloaded the 5.2 live several times. When I started the disk I always had a Nautilus crash. I tried to install it and I got the crash and had to reboot. Loaded it again with crash and went into admin side and tried the install and it went through. I really really like this distro and spend a day and a half futzing with it until I got it installed. I don't think I ever had one do this. Yes I burned it at the lowest speed using various DVD Brands.

madvinegar

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08:43 pm

Sometimes this problem happens if you boot from the CD and chose option 1 (start live cd) and boot all the way to the live desktop and click on the "install zorin" icon.

It is better to boot from live CD and in the first menu to chose the 3rd option (start the installer directly). Install the distro without internet support and once it is fully installed, then get internet connection and update the system.

At least this is my opinion after various tests I carried out.

comsparks

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:53:52 am

@madvinegar, I tried both ways with same results. The "start live cd" after OS completes boot process it crashed and "start installer directly" during the install it crashed. I just mentioned it because I thought it was peculiar and others might be having the same issue.

cummins

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:51:24 am

Hello,

installation of Zorin OS5 was kosher! only problem now is when I shutdown my laptop an reboot it I lose my panel bar an can't get it back!!!

Need help, please!!!!!!

Thanks y'all!

Admin-Amir

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:31:22 am

Hello cummins.

is it all the panel or just the right side of the panel?
if it is just the right panel then =>right click on the right of the panel add to panel => chose the complete option.
if it is the full panel => just make new panel+add launchers to the panel and lock the panel.

BTW - that happens when you get pop up that say you have problem with the panel and you chose the delete option. :idea:

Wolfman

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:56:55 am

comsparks wrote:I downloaded the 5.2 live several times. When I started the disk I always had a Nautilus crash. I tried to install it and I got the crash and had to reboot. Loaded it again with crash and went into admin side and tried the install and it went through. I really really like this distro and spend a day and a half futzing with it until I got it installed. I don't think I ever had one do this. Yes I burned it at the lowest speed using various DVD Brands.

This is/was a bug, simply ignore it and continue with install then update!!.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59:05 am

cummins wrote:Hello,

installation of Zorin OS5 was kosher! only problem now is when I shutdown my laptop an reboot it I lose my panel bar an can't get it back!!!

Need help, please!!!!!!

Thanks y'all!

Have you done a system update??,

Look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617