This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZORIN OS 5.2 INSTALL...

lexiiwz

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:55:57 pm

OK, I'm new to both Zorin & forums.
I have downloaded the subject ISO (twice) and created a CD. It doesn't auto start.
I am using Win XP (SP3), Firefox (sometimes IE 8.0). I have only a CD R/W (therefore not able to download anything larger). My mobo does not support USB startup. Help, what did I do wrong? Thanks.

madvinegar

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04:40 am

Since you only have a CD R/W, I suppose that you have downloaded the Zorin Lite edition? (Or your tray can at least read DVDs?)

In order the CD or DVD to start you have to confirm the following:

1) That you have burned the ISO to the CD/DVD using an image-burning software at a low speed (i.e. 4x).
2) That you have changed from your BIOS the boot sequence so as to load first the CDs/DVDs.

pantabulosin

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:18:44 am

There's a number of things that you should know:

First of all, and I say this just to cover all bases, you don't install Zorin through windows, but you run a live session and then you install from there. There is a program called wubi that does let you install ubuntu from windows though, so you can try install ubuntu with that if all else fails.

The next important step is making sure your computer checks your CD drive first in its boot order. This means that you have to go into your BIOS and set it up so your computer tries to boot from your cd drive, then your hard drive. There is no universal way to get to BIOS, but it usually involves pressing a key before windows starts booting. Look into that and tell us about your progress. I hope you enjoy Zorin.