This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 5.2 Core Crashes and will not install

alpha1

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:18:22 pm

Hi Guys
I have been trying to install Zorin 5.2 Core for days now without any joy
This is the Error Message displayed after reaching Computer name and user.

(Cannot connect to server socket, Jack server is not running or cannot be started, Home directory /home/live/mot ours etc.)

From looking around it seems that i have to burn this at a slow speed, however my xp windows system which i have had to reinstall after Zorin screwed up my duel boot Umbuntu XP System dos not seem to have a slower speed using LG burning tool.

Please o please see if you can help put this man back on the right track, as from what i have seen of Zorin so far it looks wicked and exactly what i have been looking for. Why have i not heard of this before now consider you have been up and running for 2 years ? You need to do more to promote this product but after you have resolved this crisis of me not being able to carry out a simple iso burn and install of your os?

I have check out a few post and mine is the same as:-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1630

Only thing left to do is the Graphics mode boot will let you know but i am very doubtful indeed.

Thanks

alpha1

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:06:58 pm

Thanks for your reply swarfendor437
I was surprised to get a response so soon thank you.
But to put you in the picture i have tried the tex option but still no go.

I have noted your reply and will proceed accordingly.
In the mean time you should be aware of the system that i am trying to install Zion on to it is as follows:-
Current system in use
WXP SP2, System Man. Gigabyte Tec Ltd, System Type X86
Duel Processor 2599MHz each, Bios ASI.
2 HDD - 1 500G, 2 320G
Total Memory 2GB
2 DVD Drives , 5 USB

I have made several attempts to burn the iso vi XP with little joy so oi have now resorted to use Ubuntu's live CD to download and burn the iso for Zion. Nevertheless this has resulted in the same issue and i am no further forward.

The final thing to do is to install on a single HDD without any other OS, i will let you know how that turns out. I have also tried to install the lite ver. on an older PIII with out any luck.
Will check back after your suggestion.
Thanks

alpha1

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:42:46 am

Well i am not at all impress with this os
It has not live up to my expectations and i was so looking forward to an all singing all dancing OS.

I have tried you suggestion download carried out a new burn at a slower speed to DVD checked the MD5 all went well - till the actual install - and for that extra effort i have removed all OS on my pc this time around and it failed again and again reporting that there is a problem this time with not just:-

(Cannot connect to server socket, Jack server is not running or cannot be started, Home directory /home/live/mot ours etc.)

but with a program called (ubiquity) i think that was the name.

So not wanting to be defeated i tried the next best thing and tried to install Zorin 3.2 LT and guess what that also failed with the same program (ubiquity) and also says that (the program can not be reported: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package)

Tell me what more can go wrong i think a i must be dreaming.

I just don't believe this i am having to re-install Ubuntu and XP again as i do not think Zorin has quiet come up to the mark - unless i am doing something wrong.

I do hope that someone out there may have an answer to this issue.
If you do let me know.
Thanks.

Wolfman

Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:03:10 am

Hi,

burn the CD (ISO) on a friends PC, your drive may well be screwed!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

alpha1

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:32:19 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

burn the CD (ISO) on a friends PC, your drive may well be screwed!!.

Hi Wolfman thanks for that but i have looken in to the posibility that is why i compleatley reinstalled ubuntu 11.10 i have re formated the drive to the manufactures spec and also written with '0' on it.
This system now only has Ubuntu 11.10 installed on it.

In addition i have also dowload the iso on an alternative system suse 12.1 and still the same.

Wolfman

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16:43 pm

Hi,

all I can think of is that you have a corrupted ISO and recommend downloading another copy from a different mirror!!.

Select a mirror different from the one first used from here:

http://zorin-os.com/core32.html

If you can remember which one you don't want!!.

alpha1

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:46:32 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

all I can think of is that you have a corrupted ISO and recommend downloading another copy from a different mirror!!.

Select a mirror different from the one first used from here:

http://zorin-os.com/core32.html

If you can remember which one you don't want!!.

Ok Woldman i had tried a download from NL i will tr another from Aust. insted now
Thanks for your help

alpha1

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:48:42 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:To the OP - might be worth PM (Private Message) to Administrtors - AZorin or zorink.

Ok Thanks swarfendor437 I will try this last attemp and if all fails will do.
Thank you for the advice.

alpha1

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:05:09 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Forgot to ask - why only SP-2 installed on XP? You should have SP-3 installed for added security protection and updates as Microsoft made it clear over a year ago now I think that if SP-3 was not installed you would be taken out of the update loop for automatic updates.

Hi there swarfendor437
As I have totally started from the ground up as stated previously, I have re-formatted the HDD several Times and Tried several permutations to try and install this OS
I am in the middle of updating the system
But that should not impact on the installation of Zorin or should it as it is a different entente.

I even thought of the possibility of the firewall being the issue but its not. I have checked and double checked as everything runs true and fine with my duel boot system now as well as before.

If you have a suggestion that the system is not suitable pleas advised as to the preferred spec. and i will have a new system made ready.

alpha1

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02:53 am

swarfendor437 wrote:The level of Service Pack on your XP side will not have an effect on Zorin. However, you are putting your machine at risk by not having SP-3 and subsequent updates installed. I notice that your Graphics detail is not given in your sig - this could be an issue if it is an nVidia MX400.

Thanks for your reply swarfendor437 and the valid points raised, You will be pleased to her that that the re-install of XP is still ongoing and SP 3 may be implemented by tomorrow time allowing.

In regards to the missing information please accept my apologies for this oversight, my signature VGI is Intel Graphics with Min Memory of 39MB to a Max 128MB hope this meets with Zorins Requirements.

I will update today.
Regards

Wolfman

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54:42 pm

Hi,alpha1,

did you try all the various options with the boot manager when first starting to boot the CD, it seems strange that you can install Ubuntu but not Zorin??.
You can try boot in safe mode which will reduce the stress on your graphics card, make sure you fully boot in live mode before you try and install!!.

For the GNOME based versions (non Lite):
700 MHz x86 processor
3GB of Hard Drive space
376 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
Sound card

For the LXDE based versions (Lite):
266 MHz x86 processor
2GB of Hard Drive space
128 MB of system memory (RAM)
Sound card :D

alpha1

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:07:50 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,alpha1,

did you try all the various options with the boot manager when first starting to boot the CD, it seems strange that you can install Ubuntu but not Zorin??.
You can try boot in safe mode which will reduce the stress on your graphics card, make sure you fully boot in live mode before you try and install!!.

For the GNOME based versions (non Lite):
700 MHz x86 processor
3GB of Hard Drive space
376 MB of system memory (RAM)
Sound card

For the LXDE based versions (Lite):
266 MHz x86 processor
2GB of Hard Drive space
128 MB of system memory (RAM)
Sound card :D

SOLVED
Hi Guys
After a Very, Very on welcome start to this introduction of this new O/s which i at once loved after trying it out

Don't ask me what i did because i am still trying to work it out.
But you can now sleep easy and take a very welcome pat on the back for your assistance.

After sever more attempts at reformatting of my H D Drive and trying different comb's of an install - duel boot -single boot and checking my firewall

At long last the system installed although it displayed errors and complained i just left it and had some supper came back and just touched the key board and there it was -

Successfully installed.

Even though that was not the end because it would not boot into the O/s so i just left it and chilled
2 to 3 hrs later all was well the system burst into action and i am now the proud owner of Zorin os 5.2

I did nothing different to installing a ubuntu 11.10
Well there it is for persistence.

Thanks for your help once again

tradZ

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:04:18 pm

I had the same frustrating problem, burned multiple disks(dvds), verified good copies, and still failing during installation.

Here's the fix: Instead of dvd(or cd), get a USB stick big enough, and install via USB. If you do a search for Ubuntu USB install, you will find a linux site, pick Zorin, and install to USB. For Zorin 5.2 Ultimate, I had to use an 8 Gb USB stick, otherwise I think a 4 Gb stick should do the trick for Zorin 5.2 Core. Installation went great when I did this. Best of luck. z