This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help installing Zorin OS on HP Laptop

67911121km

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:39:44 pm

So, I've Googled this a couple of times and checked on here but I'm no further to installing...

I have a HP6735s to which I've downloaded the Zorin OS iso file.

First of all, I used a USB installer and put the Zorin installation on to a USB stick (my Huawei E173 broadband dongle with a 2GB SD card in it). Restarted the laptop and hit the "Esc" key so I could change the boot device to "USB Hard Drive". Nothing happened, Windows loaded as normal.

So, I used ImgBurn to write the image file (iso) to a DVD-R - on exploring the DVD, I can now see various files/folders as opposed to the single iso file that I originally downloaded. Restarted the laptop, it loaded Windows as normal. I then restarted the laptop and hit the "Esc" key so I could change the boot device... but there's no option for my CD/DVD Drive.

As for my HDD, I've read that HP partition it and use a couple of small partitions for various recovery tools, etc (HPTOOLS and HPRECOVERY)... I've deleted these and opened up the full disc space as one main partition.

Can anyone help me as I want rid of Windows!!!

Many thanks

67911121km

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:13:22 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi 67911121km, Sorry to hear you are having issues. I am surprised that hitting 'Esc' to enter boot options is not working for you - can you not change any settings by going into the BIOS (usually F10) well that's what I have on my HP Mini Netbook anyway. Right arrow to System Configurations then down arrow to 'CD-Rom Boot and use F5/F6 to cheange to <Enabled> then go to Boot Order - I have:

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk [this would be the equivalent of your dongle and it would depend whether it is bootable from the sdhc card which I suspect might be an issue or your BIOS is corrupted]
Notebook Hard Drive
USB Floppy
! Network Adapter

You will also might have a 'hidden' partition, also used for recovery or HPQuickboot - don't knoiw if it is on other HP machines but certainly present on Netbooks. As I have explained elsewhere, hidden partitions at the start of a drive can create installation problems, plus how many Primary Partitions there are HP always tend to make 4 which is the maximum you can have on any OS, regardless of how many hard drives you have.

I've gone into the BIOS and everything's enabled (eg. SD boot, CD-ROM boot, etc). My current boot order is similar to yours, with USB CD Drive first. I've also checked my HDD disc space - the space used for the one (main) partition plus 10GB that's currently unallocated adds up to my HDD total capacity - there doesn't appear to be any hidden partitions... Any idea how to double-check this? I started off with three visible partitions, now down to one.

madvinegar

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52:02 pm

There is no way that the CD/DVD is not recognised if the iso is burned properly and the boot sequence is set to start with the CD/DVD.

You must be doing something wrong. Try again from the beginning. Check the iso, burn it in low speed in a DVD, and get in BIOS to change the sequence to start from the CD/DVD. It must be set as the higher choise.

P.S.: The usual button for a laptop to get into the boot options is F12. (and F2 or Del is to get into Bios). Nevertheless, when your laptop starts, in the first screen you get, in the bottom, it says exactly which button does what. But you have to look fast, because the first screen only stays up for a few seconds.

67911121km

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45:41 pm

madvinegar wrote:There is no way that the CD/DVD is not recognised if the iso is burned properly and the boot sequence is set to start with the CD/DVD.

You must be doing something wrong. Try again from the beginning. Check the iso, burn it in low speed in a DVD, and get in BIOS to change the sequence to start from the CD/DVD. It must be set as the higher choise.

P.S.: The usual button for a laptop to get into the boot options is F12. (and F2 or Del is to get into Bios). Nevertheless, when your laptop starts, in the first screen you get, in the bottom, it says exactly which button does what. But you have to look fast, because the first screen only stays up for a few seconds.

I printed off a load of info from this forum before starting (attempting) the installation, followed step-by-step instructions using recommended software (ImgBurn, Universal USB Installer, etc). I think the problem is down to HP, rather than anything was/wasn't doing...

Things have now progressed slightly though; having already accessed BIOS and set up the boot order (starting with CD/DVD Drive), I've since checked that there was nothing HP related stopping the installation. There was a couple of security features that I have now disabled and the Zorin DVD is booting.

However, having selected to load the live mode of Zorin I'm only getting as far as the splash page. Left it for 20 mins on the last attempt but it is going no further. This happens when trying to load the safe mode too.

Gonna check the partitions with GParted, but how long should the splash page appear being I see the desktop?

Thanks

swarfendor437; Thanks for the tip. I did have GParted already, but that DVD wasn't booting either. I'll try again now that I'm able to boot from the CD/DVD Drive.

Wolfman

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27:26 am

Hi,

the only question I can see here that has not been addressed is, did you burn the CD at the slowest possible speed, if you did not, then re-do it and you can also try the current CD on another PC if available to see if it works on that PC.

Regards Wolfman :D

67911121km

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:08:52 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

the only question I can see here that has not been addressed is, did you burn the CD at the slowest possible speed, if you did not, then re-do it and you can also try the current CD on another PC if available to see if it works on that PC.

I reburnt the DVD, using x1 speed (even though my drive has a minimum speed of x2.4), it works now :) I'm ready to install but I can't get online, so I'll probably be back on the forum later to ask questions about that...

Won't let me install my T-Mobile Broadband Dongle :?

67911121km

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:36:53 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Do you have access to a router and a network cable or are you dependent on T-Mobile for internet access via the dongle? If the latter I don't have experience of setting up an OS with such a device (from my perspective dongle deals are wallet heavy! :D )

I have wireless broadband in the house as well, is it best to plug straight into the router then?

Zorin didn't pick up the wireless connection on its own and I have no idea what all the settings are in order to do it manually - it's not my broadband connection at the house so I can't phone the supplier for help.

I'll search the forums for some additional help, but thanks for all your help so far :D

67911121km

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:56:16 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Does Zorin pick up your wireless driver? If it does I can 'talk you through it' so to speak - so long as you know the 'name' of the Router (not its brand name but what it is called 'internally') we can take it from there. I installed Zorin 4 Core using wireless not wired.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v283328437Pyp3Byy

I do have the name and password for the router, and as far as I can tell (having used Zorin's "Help" guide), it is picking up my wireless driver. That's as far as I get, so any help would be appreciated... Will the video help me or could you talk me through it here?

Thank you

Anonymous

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:35:23 am

http://zorin-os.com/installguide.html
above is the link which will help you regarding this or read the instructions below.

If you wish to install Zorin OS to your computer please follow this guide:

1. First go to the Download page and download Zorin OS.
2. When the download is finished burn the image file to a blank DVD (any type) (You can download ImgBurn if you don't have a CD/DVD burning program already installed).
3. When the burn is finished insert the DVD into the computer and restart with it still in. The computer should boot from the DVD, if not you should change the settings in the BIOS or press F12 (or whatever key it is to select the boot device) while booting up again.
4. Press the Enter key to start the LiveDVD, this is a thing that lets you run the operating system off the DVD without installing it onto your computer.NOTE: The Live DVD runs much slower than after the full installation.
5. Click the Install icon on the desktop if you choose to install it onto your computer. This opens a window, now you can select your desired settings.
6. Later you will be prompted to make a new partition, a partition is a thing you make if you want to install an alternate operating system. This slices your Hard Drive to allow the installation of another operating system. The minimum size for Zorin OS Core is 5 Gigabytes (Just remember to leave enough space for your first operating system).
7. During the installation you will be asked to select your language (over 55 are available), your location, time settings, keyboard layout, partitioning settings and import your files, settings and user accounts from your Windows installation (if you have one).
8. The installation should take 10 minutes up to an hour.
9. After the installation you will be prompted to restart the computer, after the restart the computer should boot up into a menu where you choose which operating system you want to start. To select one use the arrow keys to highlight an option and press the Enter key to start the highlighted one.
Now you should have Zorin OS installed to your computer.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:30:59 am

How-To:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

IzayoiAki

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43:53 am

Wireless broadband providers tend to put password protection on their router, so the reason Zorin might not be picking up your connection is because you haven't provided it with the password. If this is the case, you can try clicking on the Wireless icon on the bottom right area of your screen (near your login name) and see if your wireless connection is listed. If it is, click on it, and see if it prompts for your Wireless password. This is how I setup my HP Compaq NC6320 laptop with my wireless connection (which is Sky Broadband)