This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Install problem Zorin 5.2 64-bit (NVIDIA graphic c

spavila

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:23:45 am

I have had success with installing Zorin 5.2 32-bit on an older computer that I was eager to try the 64-bit version on my newer equipment. With my newly burned DVD that was burned at the slowest speed possible and MD5SUM verified, the DVD began its loading process. First, I get the nice menu screen telling me how I want to boot the DVD and proceed with the first choice. Next, I get the nice blue screen with the Zorin logo in the middle and the two spinning white broken-circles underneath. Then, I was very disappointed to see my monitor display a discombobulated messed up graphics screen. My first thought was that the installation process was frozen. My second thought was that my graphics card is not displaying properly because of an NVIDIA driver issue.

I then started to troubleshoot the problem reading through the forum responses. Yes, I did burn my DVD at the slowest possible speed. I downloaded the installation file from two different sources. I did verify the MD5SUM. I tried using four new DVDs of the installation disk but the results were still the same; I was still getting the messed up graphics screen.

In my next troubleshooting step, I was thinking that my graphics card could be the issue. I uninstalled my graphics card and used the built in graphics on the motherboard instead. Could this be the solution? Ok, I put the DVD in to start the loading process and finally the desktop appeared!!!

Then I started thinking, I could perform the following steps to install Zorin 5.2 64-bit:
1. Install Zorin 5.2 64-bit “WITHOUT” my graphics card.
2. Get the NVIDIA drivers needed for my graphics card.
3. Shutdown.
4. Put my graphics card back in my computer.
5. Turn on computer and see if graphics card is displaying correctly on my monitor.

As I am very new to Linux commands, I am not sure how to install NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card. However, I did search an Ask Ubuntu forum and found the following procedure to update NVIDIA graphic drivers.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/37590/nvidia-drivers-not-working-after-upgrade-why-can-i-only-see-terminal

Would this work or would you suggesting another way to install drivers for my graphics card? Any assistance is greatly appreciated as well as comments and suggestions.

JJ Avila
Las Vegas, Nevada

Motherboard = Intel DH55HC
Graphics Card = NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Wolfman

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:39:17 am

Hi spavila,

once installed and updated, you can install the Nvida drivers via the Addtional Drivers Hardware Application tool in the Control Center, just select "recommended" and you should be good to go!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

cisco9904

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13:38 am

You mit want look at is as a driver for you Sir
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html
This is a linux driver for your card.

Sorry you mit look here for the drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

spavila

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:54:23 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I would be tempted to try and install in 'Safe Graphics Mode' or boot into 'Safe Graphics Mode' from Live and try installing via the 'icon' on the desktop marked 'Install Zorin to hard drive'. If still an issue with graphics when trying to boot normally after install, again, boot into 'safe graphics/recovery mode', and form then menu button - System | Administration | Additional Drivers' you will need to be connected to the internet at this point or you will not be able to download the proprietary drivers. Failing that, if you know what model of graphics card you have, go to the nVidia website and search for Linux Drivers specific to your card. Next download the drivers (usuall 'packaged' with the suffix '*.deb'. Install GDebi Package installer from - System | Administration | Synaptics Package Manager - use the search window for GDebi, and install. Next after GDebi has installed, right click the *.deb package from nVidia for your card and select 'Properties'; on the 'Permissions' tab, ensure 'Allow executing as Program' is check marked. Then after you have applied any changes, right-click the *.deb package again and from the context menu select "Install using GDebi package installer' and take it from there.

Hope this helps.

I fogot to mention in my original post that I did try the "Save Graphics Mode"; however, I was still getting the messed up screen (monitor not displaying properly). It could be something with the installer that does not like NVIDIA cards. I did try a Zorin OS 3.2 64-bit installation DVD and was able to boot completely showing the desktop; but for some reason I just could not boot with the 5.2 disk. Anyway; once I re-installed my graphics card, I was able to install the needed drivers as you stated in your post and got everything working :D !! There was no need to proceed in the next step you suggested; however, I will note it for future reference when installing other drivers I may need if I need to go the extra step.

Thank you for your detailed explanation; it really helped me.

JJ Avila
Las Vegas, Nevada

pittly

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:30:59 am

I'm having similar graphic problem with a Geforce 540 on a 990 MB & AMD 8 core cpu trying to install Zorin 6.. Booting to the desktop is fine, but once the desktop comes up the graphics are all over the place. Menu and panels disappear and reappear.
I have tried booting in safe mode and safe mode hangs up. No mouse also. Also I tried to install directly. Zorin 6 did install but the graphic where worse than when I booted from the live cd and I could see a few folders. But no mouse and no way to reboot. An error notification came up saying that the OS was unable load Zorin 64 core.The funny thing is I am upgrading from 5.2 to 6.0 on the same machine. Zorin 5.2 works fine on my Geforce 540 and 990 board. But Zorin 6 will not load up or even work from a live cd. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running Zorin 6 on everything in the house I sure would like to have it on my computer.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:41:11 am

Hi,

did you burn the ISO to disk at the slowest possible speed?, if you didn't, you may well get read/write errors on the disk and you should reburn the disk.

Nvidia drivers should not be used on Z6 due to a bug at the mo. (A bug report has been filed with the devs).

Have you tried the same disk on other PC's and does it work??.

Have you tried a USB install too??.

pittly

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21:26 pm

I have used the same disc of Zorin 6 on four of my computers and all is well with them. However with my 8 core AMD and 540 Geforce card I was having all kinds of graphic problems. Also my kids machine that is running F1A55-M LX Plus with A6-3500 with ATI video built into the chip. In fact I can't get any version 12.04 Linux to boot on F1A55-M. I gave up on trying to get the 8 core and 540 Geforce card to work. I installed and ATI graphic card and that fixed my problem..I never tried a USB boot any of my computers..It is kind of funny that Zorin would put in Chrome in their OS and tell people to use FireFox to download their OS because it works better to download the Zorin OS...Just a thought..
On the F1A55-M board it starts to boot and the graphic just go black. I can select what language in the intro and then darkness. I have tried several distro's from 10.04-12.04 with this board and none has worked. Can you help with F1A55-M board?? Please, Please..Sincerely Pittly

Wolfman

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:46:08 pm

Hi,

you can try typing nomodeset from the boot menu in the live DVD, press the Tab Key and then a command line will appear, type the command and press enter :D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

pittly

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:43:53 pm

Thanks I will give it a try..