This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

problems installing Zorin on machine running windowsXP

diederic

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48:48 am

Hi
I downloaded Zorin 5.2-core-iso and burt onto DVD using k3b. I used the DVD for a live install on an iMac running linuxMint and Mac OS. Live install went well,
Then I downloaded Unetbin on a XPwindows laptop and used that to install Zorin on the labtop. Everything seemed to be going fine until file #9 (of 21): then everything just hummed along, but no other files were installed.

Was I too impatient?
Thanks,
Diederic

madvinegar

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25:00 am

If I understand well, the reason that you downloaded unebootin was to create a bootable USB through which to install Zorin, correct?

If yes, try creating the bootable usb with the "universal USB installer" and try again. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

diederic

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44:36 pm

Hi Guys many thanks for your responses.

A previous reply went astry. I would like to install Zorin 5.2 on the laptop which has windowsXP installed with 141 GB of free space; file system NTFS. Windows only uses 7.5 GB.

I downloaded Zorin and burt iso to dvd (using LinuxMint); I was able to use the dvd to have a liveZorin, no problem, again on my linux/iMac machine.
Putting the dvd into the windows machine, brought up window with the various options: Live install, direct install boot from hard disk etc. Clicking on 'live' brought up the Zorin screen and then that dissappeared and a little white screen with vertical/horizontal black lines appeared with the following text( A):

"Busy v1.17.1 (ubuntu1: 1.17.1-1ubunti1) built in shell (ash). Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
(initramfs) mount: mounting/dev/loop) on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Invalid argument can not mount dev/loopO (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs)."
I had to unplug ie turn power off.
2.restarted machne, choose 'start installer'; machine chrashed.
3. restarted machine black screen with text: isolinux 4.82 debian-20101016 ETCD.
There were a few more attemps, but nothing very effective happened.

My question: can one install Zorin 5.2 core on a windowsXP machine? what am I doing wrong? Also can one shrink NTFS partition?

Thanks for your suggestions
Diederic