This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

report on installing Zorin Lite 6 along side WinXP

jack6

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:45:32 am

I just tried installing Zorin Lite 6 along side Windows XP Pro and I wanted to report my experiences.
Windows XP Pro SP3 was up and running to begin with (on an old HP Compaq D530, Pentium 4 3GHz, 1G RAM, 16G drive partitioned into 11G for Windows XP and 5G un-partitioned space for Zorin). I first tried the Zorin live version and it seemed to work fine, so I started the installation into the 5GB of un-used space - everything seemed fine until the very end when Zorin was rebooting - it couldn't shut down all remaining processes and just hung (I waited an hour just to be sure). So I cut power and booted up into the menu which showed both Zorin and Windows. Windows worked fine, Zorin would not boot - it got to the screen with the concentric counter rotating "wait" symbol over a slashed blue background but hung there.
Power down/up. Booted into Windows, ok. Re-booted into Zorin, still hanging. Re-booted into Easeus free partition tool and erased the two Linux partitions. Re-installed Zorin into un-used space, hung in the same place - couldn't shut down all processes after it finished installing.
This time though, during the installation of Zorin, there were several blue horizontal bars that blocked the installation windows (the bars were in the foreground) and I had to keep dragging the window around so I could read and click buttons (the bars occupy about 1/4 of the screen in the middle).
To continue, after re-installed Zorin into un-used space, it hung in the same place - couldn't shut down all processes after finishing installing BUT this time when I re-booted (power down/up) into Zorin, it WORKED, HUH??!! Go figure...
Haven't tested thoroughly but seems like all is working.

Then I went to reboot back to XP and it got stuck. So I tried again in safe mode - got stuck at MUP.SYS. Tried last known good configuration, no good either. Tried it a few more times in both normal mode, safe mode, and last known good just to be sure, yep, still won't boot into windows (never makes it into graphical mode). Zorin still works however but this is not acceptable to me because XP is still my primary OS, I'm just playing with Zorin...
So I re-installed XP on top of the old XP, now XP is working again and that's where I am, at the moment. I'm thinking of putting in GAG 4.10 to allow me to multiboot into either XP or Zorin (I've used GAG before but only with multiple versions of Windows, never with any Linux).

The main reason I tried Zorin was because I wanted to see if it could play 720p/1080p videos without skips and lags (XP will skip and lag). Haven't tried 1080p yet but 720p performance seems to be the same as XP, plays smoothly most of the time with occaisional skips and lags during sequences with a lot of motion. While Zoring feels snappier than XP, it doesn't seem to help 720p playback noticeably - it seems to skip and lag in the same places that XP would. (I'm only using integrated video, no dedicated video card, pretty old graphics at that).

Wolfman

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18:30 am

Hi jack,

sorry to hear you are having problems, did you read any of our How-To's about installing along Windows; updating etc, there are a number of guides which should help you out. The most important thing to do after an installation is to update the system.

Please see these guides:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1741

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1732

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12

I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

Regards Wolfman :D

IzayoiAki

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:52:36 am

I have a HP Compaq NC6320 with Zorin/WinXP dual boot. I don't have any problems with HD video. You might want to try an alternative player, such as VLC.

In general, whenever you are going to mess with the MBR and install or change it by installing/deleting OSes, you should ALWAYS backup. I'm not talking about file backup, I'm talking about making an disk-based image via a tool such as Norton Ghost or Clonezilla. That way if anything goes wrong such as here, you can always roll back the entire drive contents. It has saved my bacon on many occasions. Clonezilla is free, by the way. All you would need is some external media.

Regarding your issue. What did you use to partition your drive? The installer's partition manager, or something else? I have noticed that a linux-based partition manager such as parted/gparted can sometimes screw up Windows-based partitions, resulting in exactly the behaviour you're getting. That was one of the problems I encountered when I first tried installing Ubuntu (and later Zorin). I got around that by using a non-linux based partition manager. I used Paragon's Disk Manager myself, and that got me further. Conversely, when I tried to resize my linux partitions in Disk Manager, it screwed up that partition instead (I got a Kernel Panic error). So I now use gparted to manage my linux partitions and Disk Manager to manage my windows partitions, with weekly image backups just in case.

See if that works. And remember, image your disk before doing anything else.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43:53 am

Hi,

another point about booting into a different OS is to use "Boot Repair".

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Regards Wolfman :D